Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 AM

80 posts, read 159,086 times

Advertisements

I know Charlottesville is a city and not a small town, but does it have a small town feel? Does it have a sense of community? We're looking for somewhere that has sort of a "Vermont feel" to it, but with warmer weather. What about if you live in the outlying areas (we'd like a little land). Can you still feel like you're part of a community? Are there local businesses to support? Do local businesses thrive or is it more of a place where chains dominate? Are there festivals? Opportunities to get to know each other? Do young people stay beyond college?

We're looking for somewhere to put down roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM

419 posts, read 903,528 times
I know Charlottesville is a city and not a small town, but does it have a small town feel?
I think it does.

Does it have a sense of community?
Very much so, there is a pride in its uniqueness and in the history and beauty of the land.

What about if you live in the outlying areas (we'd like a little land).
much of the area has the same vibe to it. Albemarle county and some of the surrounding counties share the spirit of the area but keep in mind it is a diverse group with ultra free spirirts coexisting next to hard spun country hunter types.

Can you still feel like you're part of a community?
Very much so, ther are very small local communities like Crozet or Batesville that share in the regional spirit but have unique features of their own.

Are there local businesses to support?
there are quite a few but it often depends on what you are looking for.

Do local businesses thrive or is it more of a place where chains dominate?
Both really, chains for some things and some consumers and local places for others.

Are there festivals?
Lots of them- this month has many fall festivals and other events

Opportunities to get to know each other?
many outdoor activites, wineries and community events, palces to see the arts, downtown mall and other venues

Do young people stay beyond college?
Not sure in terms of percentages but I kow at least 4 UVA grads that have stuck around.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM

18 posts, read 30,594 times
I know Charlottesville is a city and not a small town, but does it have a small town feel?
If you're coming from a place with a population count over 100,000 then yes. It's not going to feel like a tiny town, but if you have ever lived in a truly urbanized area/city, this place feels small.

Does it have a sense of community?
Long story short: absolutely. With the culture of UVA, historical significance of Thomas Jefferson and the other revolutionary Americans that once lived here, and the Appalachian Mountains, this place has a very distinct sense of community.

What about if you live in the outlying areas (we'd like a little land).
What gregir said. People act as if Albemarle County is the rural extension of Cville, and Cville is the urbanized portion of Albemarle. But don't confused- Charlottesville is it's own municipality located within the boundaries of Albemarle County, which is an autonomous government as well.

Can you still feel like you're part of a community?
Yes. If you live anywhere within a 20 miles radius of Charlottesville, you will feel like you belong to the community.

Are there local businesses to support?
There are many. Local foods are huge around here. There are law firms, boutique retail stores, music venues, art galleries, gyms, everything. The business school of UVA has definitely had some influence on creating an entrepreneurial atmosphere and the students who remain here after graduation embody that.

Do local businesses thrive or is it more of a place where chains dominate?
Again, what gregir said. There are unofficial business "districts" that I'd say are either almost entirely local, or entirely chain.

Are there festivals?
All the time, all year long. The city website announces most of these, but local newspapers advertise these events as well.

Opportunities to get to know each other?
The festivals, concerts, bar and restaurant scene are a great way to meet locals. Otherwise, I'd say this place is like anywhere else- whatever your hobbies and interests are, you will be able to meet people here just by doing the things you enjoy.

Do young people stay beyond college?
Some do, but it is important to note that UVA is ranked as the 2nd best public university in the U.S. so graduates from here are in high demand and most relocate. I would not worry about this too much though because the law school, medical school, and dozens of other graduate programs offered at UVA means that there is always a good proportion of adults in the young professional age (22-30) hanging around the area.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 PM

58 posts, read 132,055 times
Captain07 answered the mail on this question.

I have found Charlottesville itself to be quite friendly and community oriented if you are a socially moderate to liberal person. Cville residents tend to be liberal but they are also more back-to-the earth, so a lot of people also like to garden, raise animals or at least buy from local farms. From many of my single acquaintances, the dating scene is kind of sparse in the 23-30 crowd; the UVA kids move off. While festivals and bars etc might introduce you to the 20-something set, the schools and childrens sports scene is small enough to introduce people to community. There is also a lot of retirees who are quite friendly. Sadly the area has lost a lot of its independence from big box stores and chains, and its charm.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM

15 posts, read 46,049 times
I somewhat disagree with Captain07 on the sense of community. Many of the people I work and interact with in Charlottesville live well outside of the county due to the high price of housing. This significant geographic division between work and home creates a fracture in the sense of community due in part to the extraneous time people spend commuting and people in general are more concerned about the community in which they live, not work. Additionally, the manner in which the county is allowing growth lends itself to cloistered HOA dictatorships with little to no pedestrian interconnection and a distant lack of non-hiking public parks, all of which degrades the sense of community.

My sense of the "ideal" Charlottesville/Albemarle community lifestyle is best illustrated in the area's most famous deceased resident, Thomas Jefferson: a rich land-owner enjoying the country life on his expansive estate. So if you are independently wealthy or command a hefty salary, Charlottesville is the cat's meow; otherwise you may consider looking elsewhere.

This is not to say that Cville is a terrible place to live, it does have many exemplary qualities. It just tends to cater to the top crust of society, so unless you are already in that position, you may feel unwelcome.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM

938 posts, read 1,516,878 times
I agree with SpitefulBadger about communities in the county (not C'ville itself). If you live in Cville then it's not too hard to find your own community, especially if you are part of UVA or are a young professional. But if you're living out in the county, most development is not pedestrian friendly and the homeowners' associations are often hostile toward establishing pedestrian and bike paths through their community because they think it will lead to "crime".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville