Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 PM

403 posts, read 775,154 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if a budget of no more than 200K is possible in the Charlottesville area? My family and I are looking to move out of NE PA due to quickly rising crime, and are looking into the state of VA. I have learned that the Hampton/Newport News area is not any better than where we are coming from now. I've been told Chesterfield county in the Richmond area is very nice, but we are weighing all of our options right now. Are the suburbs of Charlottesville safe for families? Are there many jobs in the area? Thank you for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,789,395 times
Charlottesville is great, but noticeably more expensive than the Richmond area - you'd have to go pretty far out to make that budget work. Like maybe out of the county

Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM

In your opinion, is the Richmond area nice? I am open to other areas as well, but am not very familiar with the state. We are coming down in the spring, but want to narrow down our areas to check out.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 32,530 times
Charles, are you saying if you make $200,000/yr. that that is not enough to live on in Charlottesville? How do retired people or people with average paying jobs make it???

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismomusa View Post
Charles, are you saying if you make $200,000/yr. that that is not enough to live on in Charlottesville? How do retired people or people with average paying jobs make it???

I meant 200k for a house. It's actually really hard to say what we would make a year in that area before we moved. My husband and I would both be working full time, but it is impossible to say what jobs we would find or what the pay would be. Even the price of a house could vary, but that's what we could afford right here and now.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismomusa View Post
Budget of 200k doesn't usually mean salary...

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
In your opinion, is the Richmond area nice? I am open to other areas as well, but am not very familiar with the state. We are coming down in the spring, but want to narrow down our areas to check out.

Well, I moved to Richmond from Boston, so I definitely think its nice. Outer chesterfield might well work for you. Charlottesville is nice to, lived there for a while and really liked it. Less to do than Richmond, and more expensive, but a great place to live

Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 AM

Do you know of nice suburbs around charlottesville? I wouldn't want to live right in the city....just within a 30 min commute for work.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM

419 posts, read 905,875 times
Most of albemarle county is within 30 minutes. There are little towns like Crozet out west and ruckersville up north.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 PM

29 posts, read 58,202 times
Default Consider Ruckersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if a budget of no more than 200K is possible in the Charlottesville area? My family and I are looking to move out of NE PA due to quickly rising crime, and are looking into the state of VA. I have learned that the Hampton/Newport News area is not any better than where we are coming from now. I've been told Chesterfield county in the Richmond area is very nice, but we are weighing all of our options right now. Are the suburbs of Charlottesville safe for families? Are there many jobs in the area? Thank you for any advice you can offer!
I live up in Ruckersville which is roughly 30 minutes from the city depending on how you hit the stoplights on 29. You can find houses in $200K range up here, though you won't be living the high life and you won't have a "city experience" like living in Charlottesville. Ruckersville is pretty much, though not completely, a bedroom community for the Albermarle/Charlottesville job market (that is, people live here and commute in). Very safe and family friendly in my opinion, though it's not everyone's cup of tea considering the lack of amenities. Most people would consider it "the sticks", but it has its pluses. Folks here are generally friendly, conservative, and mind their own business. The beauty of the mountains is second to none. The schools aren't much to speak of to be honest; we homeschool as a result. Definitely a spot to consider given your circumstances. I'd suggest looking at the local realtor search site to get a better idea of the housing market. MyCAAR.com Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville