Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,391,596 times

Advertisements

With economic climate up north being outrageous high tax high cost of living, I've been noticing a lot of New York plates driving around and at the gas station the other day I had a conversation with a woman from Connecticut.

Usually the NY/CT exodus heads mainly to NC and for the older folks Florida.

I was born and raised in New York but have also lived in Washington State, Florida, and Germany. I was military at one time in my life.

Anyways I hope that the great fleeing north doesn't try turn this area into a Westchester/NYC/CT kinda of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM

382 posts, read 870,846 times
Too late

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM

I got nothing against New Yorkers, I'm one myself, haven't lived there since 1995 but still.

I think the people in the south get annoyed when they start their well this how we did it New York thing. And when I first moved south I was guilty of the sAme thing. Where's the Deli, where's the bakery, how come you can't find good pizza, you only wanna pay how much?

When I realized that instead of comparing I should instead be happy and enjoy life I let that whole northern attitude go and been happy down south ever since.

Sure I get homesick once in awhile but learned how to overcome that as well.

Virginia is a very pretty state and I feel blessed to be able to afford to live here.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 PM

382 posts, read 870,846 times
I have nothing against NYer's either, i'm not a native here either, landed here 20+ years ago. It's funny when folks move down from the North and start to tell people here where they moved from and they see that most people don't really care about the North vs. South aspect. It's even funnier when they find out they moved from almost the same area up North.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Indeed it is.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 PM

I wii say out of all the places I have ever been, military or civilian, Virginia was the best fit for my interests.

Not really a fan of Northern Virginia cause with all that traffic and such you can stay in New York for that.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,719,703 times
Well VA is hard to get used to it. It is not as diverse. Also, the people drive so slow it is unbelievable. Also the culture it is very different than NY. So yeah I know from where the NYers are coming from. NYers are taking over lol. I saw another poster wrote about NYers moving to TN as well. So if you're from NY, then why are you complaining about seeing a lot of plates from NY?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 PM

I was once New Yorker who tried to explain where I was coming from as well. But then I flipped it around and tried to see it from the southern folks point of view. I was new to the region, was trying to make friends, and was comparing everything that was southern to New York. It comes across as standoffish and arrogant.

I know why people are leaving NY and CT. Obscene taxes and home prices out of reach for many. NY and CT are liberal run states that are anti business, pro welfare, and continually tax their residents to death. I wouldn't stay either.

What I'm saying is if your planning on moving here thinking it's New York it's not, it's Virginia.

It's no different then when a transplant hipster moves into New York City and starts bad mouthing it's neighborhoods and they're not even native New Yorkers. But that's how the southern folks had felt when New Yorkers first started moving here. Those folks are like hey we're trying to welcome you into our town or city and all you do is keep putting us down.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 PM

I just saw another post. It asked would a north easterner fit into Tennessee. This one isn't a New Yorker, I think New Hampshire.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM

I will just like to add that I'm not trying to be negative or start static on city-data. Truth be told this area of Virginia is very pretty, lots of people enjoy living here so where ever my fellow New Yorkers decide to relocate to just remember to enjoy life and try and avoid the comparison thing. 2 different states in 2 different regions. Welcome to Virginia and there's a Vinny's Pizza in Ruckersville that ain't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville