Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,479 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'll be moving from California to Virginia next month & this has been clouding over my head for a ridiculously long time.

Are there a lot of bugs in VA, specifically Charlottesville? I have a really bad phobia of bugs that it gets to the point of anxiety, and if I freak out over two bugs in my place in California, I really don't know how I'd be able to handle bugs in Virginia since it is more humid there. Unfortunately, Virginia is my only choice besides Florida (although I wish I could live in Colorado or so) but unfortunately my family is all in the east coast.

Please give me a peace of mind! ~_~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:10 AM

419 posts, read 902,347 times
There are some bugs and there is not much you can do about them. The recent invasion of the stink bugs is worst in the country but they still show up in the city. There are flies and mosquitoes no matter where you live but i do not think thaty are too terrible. Hope you can cope with the bugs they are not that bad if you keep your home closed up and keep things maintained.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
There are some bugs and there is not much you can do about them. The recent invasion of the stink bugs is worst in the country but they still show up in the city. There are flies and mosquitoes no matter where you live but i do not think thaty are too terrible. Hope you can cope with the bugs they are not that bad if you keep your home closed up and keep things maintained.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've heard about stink bugs, and of course we have the usual flies & mosquitos here as well. Thank you so much.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 AM

158 posts, read 247,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murmurburr View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've heard about stink bugs, and of course we have the usual flies & mosquitos here as well. Thank you so much.
Coming from CA you're going to be shocked. It's so bad that you can't even keep the windows open even if the weather is nice (which is rare). Spiders, Mosquitos, stink bugs, ants, etc. It's like a jungle here.

I was shocked when visiting San Diego that people don't even bother with screens.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
Coming from CA you're going to be shocked. It's so bad that you can't even keep the windows open even if the weather is nice (which is rare). Spiders, Mosquitos, stink bugs, ants, etc. It's like a jungle here.

I was shocked when visiting San Diego that people don't even bother with screens.
I reside in the LA County, and my home is right by a hill. So hopefully it will be better than having random scorpions and rattlesnakes coming into the backyard haha!

Not only that but I'm originally from Puerto Rico, so surely it cannot be worse than Puerto Rico..

Thank you for replying.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post

Seriously?? Where do you live? Some swamp??

Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 PM

158 posts, read 247,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Seriously?? Where do you live? Some swamp??
I live in a highrise near Old Town now, and that means I really only have to deal with spiders making webs on my windows or the occasional fly/mosquito, but I'm also up 15 floors and surrounded by other highrises with little nature around. Try being ground level on a house with a yard and/or trees.

You really don't think it's too bad until you spend some significant time in places where it's not. The eastern seaboard would be an overgrown jungle if it weren't for development, and anywhere it's left unchecked for even a few years it returns to that state. In a place like Southern California, you just don't have to deal with that crap because it's not wet enough to support the plant life bugs live in.

It's pretty tolerable on my balcony if I keep my fan on, but if I'm at a party outdoors just sitting around at ground level, it's absolute misery. Take these as words from someone who's lived in and around Virginia my entire life (including both downtown Charlottesville and the outskirts).

Edit: forgot to add, if you can handle PR, you'll be fine in Cville. The Caribbean area is one area where the humidity and bugs are worse than the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM

58 posts, read 131,964 times
this year there are less stink bugs. there have been more flies though and a boat load of ticks this year. and snakes too.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 PM

111 posts, read 157,401 times
I live in the woods in the mountains.Didnt have the trouble with ticks this year like I do normally. Its October and I just started fighting stink bugs. Never had problems with regular flys. I got some horse flys that can be right mean. They come in different sizes.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:46 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
Charlottesville is full of bugs. The most common ones that come into our house are flies, fruitflies, cave crickets, earwigs, and spiders. Of all of these, cave crickets are the scariest because they jump around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville