Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 07:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaGardener View Post
"Crime is certainly on the uptick all around Virginia." ... and other anecdotal comments like this:

Please do some actual research instead of foisting your perceptions as reality. Don't tell me I should be doing it for you; if you want to engage in civic, informed debate, you owe it to yourself and others to gather some actual information. The fact is that crime -particularly violent crime - has been on a long-term downward trend over the past few decades, in Charlottesville and most other locations around the country. There are exceptions, which are themselves interesting and worthy of debate, but citing false data and attributing it nebulously to certain political philosophies isn't worthy of a real discussion.

Except for Homicides apparently. https://www.virginiamercury.com/blog...1fUMr3kshXQ2x4

Old 06-08-2021, 07:57 AM

407 posts, read 966,568 times
Just a note, and I admit I don't know the facts....mostly because they are not really available. Violent Crime IS DOWN across the board for a number of years, that is true. BUT are the crimes actually down OR are the way crimes are statistically counted what is actually down? Are crimes being plead down, where in the past they wouldn't have been? So if someone murders someone, and they get it lowered to something else, maybe in the past it was counted as murder and now it is something else. I suspect YES. I think it is plain to see that many crimes get different results in the courts than years ago, it seems to change very frequently. Just a thought.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:35 PM

More and more commonwealth attorney's in VA are playing catch and release, especially in the more populated areas which are of course more liberal. (And I am not slamming liberals here). With changing attitudes on crimes, convictions and penalties you can expect more "unusual" dispositions in court cases meaning fewer criminals going to jail and/or prisons. In some cases I'll even argue this has some merit and is worth considering but I draw the line with violent crimes. Especially when it is violent crimes on unknown victims meaning they were not domestic related or fights between friends and so on. But PWC new CA has shown that she was anti death penalty before it was taken off the table. The Denny's murder in Manassas begged for the death penalty but not to her. No secret I retired from there and friends of mine involved in the investigation were incensed and sickened by her decision.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:03 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
As someone possibly interested in Charlottesville for relocation, I am curious about this.

We looked at Alexandria (before we realized how crazy the prices and traffic were) and the crime stats were as follows (per 100K pop):

Murder - 1.2
Robbery - 49.3
Burglary - 72.1

Charlottesville's crime stats are as follows:

Murder - 0
Robbery - 45.4
Burglary - 251.8

Alexandria is over 2x as populous as Charlottesville, and the Northern VA area is a much bigger area population wise, in addition to having the factor of proximity to DC which is no great shakes when it comes to crime.

So why is crime in Charlottesville seemingly so out of whack?

Last edited by macalan; 07-07-2021 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-07-2021, 08:10 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
As someone possibly interested in VA, I am curious about this.

We looked also at Alexandria (before we realized how crazy the prices and traffic were) and the crime stats were as follows (per 100K pop):

Murder - 1.2
Robbery - 49.3
Burglary - 72.1

Charlottesville's crime stats are as follows:

Murder - 0
Robbery - 45.4
Burglary - 251.8

Alexandria is over 2x as populous as Charlottesville, and the Northern VA area is a much bigger area population wise, in addition to having the factor of proximity to DC which is no great shakes when it comes to crime.

So why is crime in Charlottesville seemingly so out of whack?
Perhaps, Alex counts burglaries as trespassing like some other jurisdictions.. Works wonders for the crime stats.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:10 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Perhaps, Alex counts burglaries as trespassing like some other jurisdictions.. Works wonders for the crime stats.
Could be, still, the robberies are almost identical in Charlottesville with less than half the population of Alexandria so it isn't just the burglaries in question.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post

Stop it with your constant and very incorrect info. This is not true what you just stated.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Could be, still, the robberies are almost identical in Charlottesville with less than half the population of Alexandria so it isn't just the burglaries in question.
Those stats are per 100k people.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:41 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaGardener View Post
"Crime is certainly on the uptick all around Virginia." ... and other anecdotal comments like this:

Please do some actual research instead of foisting your perceptions as reality. Don't tell me I should be doing it for you; if you want to engage in civic, informed debate, you owe it to yourself and others to gather some actual information. The fact is that crime -particularly violent crime - has been on a long-term downward trend over the past few decades, in Charlottesville and most other locations around the country. There are exceptions, which are themselves interesting and worthy of debate, but citing false data and attributing it nebulously to certain political philosophies isn't worthy of a real discussion.
Well, if you know anyone in the police force, you would know that crime does seem to be more prevalent, but when there are less apprehensions, the crime rate won't reflect the same. Just a tidbit here for you, since you are so keen on the research- this from the CVille 2020 crime report:
Shots Fired Calls- The City of Charlottesville has experienced a significant increase in the number of calls for shots fired, four of which resultedin homicides for CY2020. CPD received a total of 292 calls for shots fired in CY2020, which is an overall increase of 36% fromCY2018, and an increase of 42% from CY2019, respectively.

And then there is this about a rise in violence at the end of 2020...
https://www.cvilletomorrow.org/artic...stay-vigilant/

And just getting worse?

https://dailyprogress.com/news/local...005116701.html

While you disagree with my comment, if you look a bit, you'll find the truth. I certainly wasn't knocking the community, either.

Last edited by sregorat3; 07-10-2021 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville