Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2023, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that Charlottesville was actually smaller than Roanoke. I'm currently living in Roanoke, the biggest town/city in the southwestern VA area. I'm still open to moving to Charlottesville but I thought it was bigger, I've visited there once. Is it because of the UVA population that it seems bigger? Or is it because it's set up in a more "urban" setting than Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 05:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenK83 View Post
Someone told me that Charlottesville was actually smaller than Roanoke. I'm currently living in Roanoke, the biggest town/city in the southwestern VA area. I'm still open to moving to Charlottesville but I thought it was bigger, I've visited there once. Is it because of the UVA population that it seems bigger? Or is it because it's set up in a more "urban" setting than Roanoke?
What seems "BIGGER" to me is that there are better choices of upscale/more desirable retail selections in Charlottesville.

As best as I can tell, Charlottesville + Albermarle is about 160K population

Roanoke + Roanoke County + Salem is about 224K population.

Last stats I saw, Charlottesville airport had slightly more traffic than Roanoke's. Interesting.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:32 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
As a new user, perhaps you are unaware that demographic stats for these areas are available right on City-Data.

Roanoke

Charlottesville

Old 06-14-2023, 06:56 AM

32 posts, read 24,155 times
I live in Kansas, but looking to make a move to Virginia. I am hoping for a teaching job at a Community College. I have done some research and looks as a possibility at NOVA Community College. I am open to others if you have suggestions. I have been teaching in Kansas. My question is more about housing in the area. I would want to look for a house with an acre or two. I am not really looking for a full homestead, but definitely will be wanting to be able to do a lot of self sufficiency (I will not be off grid). I have a dog so also would put up fence. I also being environmental concerned use a clothesline, recycling, make my own soap, cheese, and more of the kind of but not exactly the pioneer skills kind of things. I like a simple life. Preference would be to be close enough to where I might work so I can ride my bicycle sometimes. I have no idea on cost of housing, but hoping with the information I provided might help to get some ideas from the great people on this forum.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:18 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
The main campus for NOVA is in a very expensive housing area, coming from Kansas you're in for sticker shock for an acre or two anywhere in Fairfax County. Without some idea what you can spend, it's hard to provide much info. You should visit the areas where you're searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville