Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM

26 posts, read 90,856 times

Advertisements

If you had the choice of living in charlotte, chapel hill or charlottesville, va..... which would you choose.
Lets say you had two kids 4 and 6 and you liked warm weather, some season change, but didn't like freezing cold winters.... ( currently living in upstate ny.... ugh). Love water, boats... etc. Want a good safe neighborhood and good schools and lots of recreational activities.... all opinions appreciated!!

Help!!! Thanks!
Jharris213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 AM

96 posts, read 385,950 times
I've been in all three places and I would say that Cville and Chapel Hill are very, very similar. IF you are looking for dynamic college communities - I'd have to say that Cville & Chapel Hill are close to identical. I'd give a slight edge to CH, because I believe the cost of living is a bit lower, and it provides colser access to a larger urban area...

Charlotte on the other hand is a completely different game...indeed a dynamic metropolitian area with loads of amenities and things to do - plus housing and job options....

I see the decision coming down to do you want to live in a large city or cozy college town? tough decision, good luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,055 times
I agree with WillV -- Chapel Hill and Charlottesville are like fraternal twins. Charlotte is something else altogether. I like all three equally -- for different reasons. Visit if you can!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,700,028 times
I went to UVa and just moved back to Richmond from Cary, NC (about 30 minutes from CH). I think that Charlottesville and CH are pretty different because of CH's proximity to the rest of the Triangle. Charlottesville has progressed significantly since I graduated a decade ago, but for serious shopping you still need to head to Richmond or Northern Virginia. When I was in school there I felt extremely isolated from the things I was used to. I'm not sure that Charlottesville is more expensive than CH, but I'm not an expert. I do know CH was the priciest suburb or the Triangle and also known for having the best school system. I'm not knowledgeable about the Charlottesville / Albemarle school system. My guess is you will more likely get snow in Charlottesville, but will have mild winters and long humid summers with any of your choices. My children are 3.5 and almost 5 and I probably would chose CH (between CH and Charlottesville--I know nothing about Charlotte) because there really is a ton to do in that area for young families. Charlottesville is beautiful. We love to visit, but I could never live there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville