Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times

Advertisements

Yikes! Walked through Kroger, Giant, Harris Teeter and found grocery items to be pricey.
I'm used to paying 50 cents for a gallon of water at the Market Basket chain in New England (twice that here). Have been paying 99 cents for two dozen tortillas, $2.99 (or less) for 120oz of detergent & $1.50 / 10oz cheddar. Prices are much more here.

Is it like this everywhere in VA, or just Charlottesville?

Does anyone know of a less expensive food store? Discount department store (other than Sam's club).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:51 AM

24 posts, read 86,790 times
I'm not in Charlottesville, but in my area, the Super Target has the cheapest groceries I've found. Food Lion is generally cheaper as well.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
Default Supermarkets in C-ville

I don't think any of the grocery stores are cheap in C-ville. If you belong to Sam's Club and don't mind buying lots of things in bulk, that's an option.

I also think food prices have significantly jumped recently. I went to the Food Lion in Louisa about a week ago and many things I had been buying were way up. I was in sticker shock. Food Lion has never been a bargain in my opinion, but for their prices, I will go to a larger and better stocked store. If you shop in the Louisa Food Lion later in the day, you will find many empty shelves. They must not believe in restocking during day light hours.

There are a Target & a Wal-mart with groceries in Waynesboro. I have not been in the Target to know if it carries a full line of groceries. That may be your best bet, particularly if you are on the west side of Charlottesville.

Zion Crossroads will eventually have a Super Walmart as will Ruckersville.

We visited Lake Placid N.Y. earlier this month. The prices at the Food Chopper store were no more expensive than in Louisa and were cheaper on some items. That surprised me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville