Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 24,051 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've been reading this board for a while and really appreciate all the good info y'all have shared. Hugely helpful.

I recently visited Charlottesville and totally fell in love with the city and the whole area. Have decided to move there this summer, and have found a great place to land on a farm a bit north of Scottsville. No job yet, but I'm a writer/editor/Web person, so may freelance to start out, but will also be looking for a permanent job.

I'm a history nut and LOVED my visits to Monticello and Ash Lawn. My dream job would be working at Monticello for the TJ Foundation, actually. Anyone got any advice on how to get in there? I'm planning to volunteer with them as soon as I arrive.

I'm moving from L.A., so really looking forward to a generally reduced cost of living, quieter/slower lifestyle, and less traffic! The only thing I'll truly miss about L.A. (other than my friends) is Trader Joe's, but I hear there might be one coming to C-ville, which would be great.

So, basically, I'm just looking for any general advice as I get ready to transplant myself. Any key things I need to know moving from L.A. to C-ville? (Yes, I already know not to arrive and start complaining about what was better in L.A.... not that I expect that to be an issue anyway!)

As far as hobbies and getting plugged into the community -- I love horseback riding (purely for fun) and hope to part-lease a horse. Music is also big for me -- I play cello, and may also be looking for a choir to join. I also like making art with glass (mosaics and fusing). Tips for finding any of those things in the area?

Oh, and I have a dog. C-ville looked really dog-friendly to me. Yes?

Thanks in advance for any advice or welcoming thoughts. I look forward to making my new home there!

- Monticello Fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticello Fan View Post
Hi all. I've been reading this board for a while and really appreciate all the good info y'all have shared. Hugely helpful.

I recently visited Charlottesville and totally fell in love with the city and the whole area. Have decided to move there this summer, and have found a great place to land on a farm a bit north of Scottsville. No job yet, but I'm a writer/editor/Web person, so may freelance to start out, but will also be looking for a permanent job.

I'm a history nut and LOVED my visits to Monticello and Ash Lawn. My dream job would be working at Monticello for the TJ Foundation, actually. Anyone got any advice on how to get in there? I'm planning to volunteer with them as soon as I arrive.

I'm moving from L.A., so really looking forward to a generally reduced cost of living, quieter/slower lifestyle, and less traffic! The only thing I'll truly miss about L.A. (other than my friends) is Trader Joe's, but I hear there might be one coming to C-ville, which would be great.

So, basically, I'm just looking for any general advice as I get ready to transplant myself. Any key things I need to know moving from L.A. to C-ville? (Yes, I already know not to arrive and start complaining about what was better in L.A.... not that I expect that to be an issue anyway!)

As far as hobbies and getting plugged into the community -- I love horseback riding (purely for fun) and hope to part-lease a horse. Music is also big for me -- I play cello, and may also be looking for a choir to join. I also like making art with glass (mosaics and fusing). Tips for finding any of those things in the area?

Thanks in advance for any advice or welcoming thoughts. I look forward to making my new home there!

- Monticello Fan
Hello and welcome to VA and Charlottesville! Since you have been here already you obviously have noticed that Cville is vastly smaller than LA. Most things shut down here around 9 or 10, so I hope you're not a party animal! Some places on the UVA corner stay open kinda late though. Good that you like history, cause VA drips it at every corner, which is fine with me! I love old things and architecture, and some of the local history myself. Not sure how to crack into the TJ Foundation. Perhaps just going in person and inquiring about it. I'm sure you can find a group you can play cello with, just don't know of any personally. As far as glass art, it's not in Cville but in Staunton, a half hour west on I-64, there is a place called Sunspots studios, that specialize in blowing glass and making all kinds of things with it. I don't know if they let customers try there hand at it or not. When I lived in Cville, I would hear of people coming over to go there, so it must be somewhat cool. BTW, I live in Staunton and have not made it there. As far as Cville being dog friendly, I get the impression that it is. When at the Downtown Mall, you see many, many people with their dogs, and also around the various neighborhoods you see people walking their dogs.

And fwiw, there is a Trader Joes in Richmond a hour or so east on I-64 in the Short Pump area if you don't mind driving. Richmond is another area that is crawling with history. I would check out St. John's church where Patrick Henry gave his "Liberty or Death" speech, the Edgar Allan Poe museum, Monument Ave, and Maymont Park. Theres so much history in the area it's hard to know where to start! Good luck with the move!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much, Nebat! Great information. I'll be sure to check out Sunspots, although I'm less interested in glass blowing than less dangerous arts like mosaics and fusing. Am going to check out the Glass Palette downtown. Still, Sunspots sounds like a great place to visit!

I also found the Charlottesville Cello Club, so am definitely going to check that out.

I did know there was a TJ's in Richmond, and plan on making emergency runs there as needed. :-)

Thanks for all the great tips about things to see and do. I really can't wait to be there and immerse myself in the history and landscape.

Cheers,

M.F.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:26 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
Quote:
I'm moving from L.A., so really looking forward to a generally reduced cost of living, quieter/slower lifestyle, and less traffic!
I hope you like it there. I was raised in The Hook but it gets really old...really fast once you've been there awhile. Yes...Cville is dog friendly...there are lots of dog parks around...or at least there used to be. The area also has more than it's share of traffic for an area that size. The traffic...especially during UVa sporting events...grinds the city to a near halt. Stay away from the 29N corridor...you don't want to have to drive that road everyday! The area towards the west is beautiful and if you want to live in the country, check out Ivy and Crozet...as well as other small communities towards the South Hill area.

It's a good thing the JPJ was built as we had no good concerts when I was there. But the concerts are so expensive...at least you can see big name talent w/o having to drive to Richmond or D.C.

Again...I hope you like it there.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Many thanks, VaNative. I can see that it's a small place, and maybe it will indeed get old for me. But I'm going to give it a shot. I've lived in smaller places before and really liked it, so that bodes well.

Thanks for the warning re: the sports traffic and the 29N. I knew right away I didn't want to be on the north side of town because of that. I'll actually be down south near Scottsville, at least to start. Will certainly check out Ivy and Crozet as well.

Don't go to a lot of concerts, partly because yeah, they're expensive everywhere and I just don't find it worth it. But I'm hoping to take advantage of some smaller, local venues to hear good folk-rock and classical.

Here's a newbie question -- why is it called The Hook?

MF

Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
Quote:
Here's a newbie question -- why is it called The Hook?

MF
Charlottesville earned the nickname in the 1950s, because lots of UVA students earned Cs-- aka "hooks"-- on their report cards...or so the story goes.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,372 times
hello, hopefully you have settled in well, I have recently moved near to Scottsville, but lived nearer Monticello for previous 3+ years, but came over the pond from England. I volunteer at the TJ historic plantcentre (owned by Monticello) and it is great fun, I love it, just google 'volunteer in virginia' and it should come up or Emily Telhundfeld at Monticello can answer questions and enroll you. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
If you go on Monticello.org, click on "About Us." The next page has a "Jobs" link on the left-hand side. That next page will tell you how to become a volunteer. As of this morning, there are no paid job openings.

I have seen jobs advertised in publications like The Hook or C-Ville. Keep checking the website. Eventually something will open up (I would hope!).

Welcome to the area!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:01 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
You may also want to periodically check for jobs at Ashlawn, the home of James Monroe, which is operated by the College of William and Mary. The jobs would be posted on the school's website. Right now there are no job openings there.

Check out ashlawnhighland.org

Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks to all for the replies! I'm relocated to Scottsville now and totally loving it. Have an appt at Monticello tomorrow to learn about volunteer openings (MrsMiggins, maybe I'll run into you one of these days!). Will also keep an eye out for Ash Lawn openings. I like that place too.

Really appreciate the good info!

MF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville