Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times

Advertisements

Yikes, I didn't mean to stir things up. I'm just quoting what the Greenville Economic Development Corporation stated on their PDF brochure (http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelopment.com/community/community_overview_/Profile_of_Greenville.pdf - broken link) under "A Skilled, Flexible Work Force", first page, second column. Unfortunately, I cannot quote statistical data regarding the above statement.

If interested, please contact the GEDC at (864) 235-2008. Here is there additional contact info. I'm sure they would be happy to divulge comparison stats with Huntsville.

Further, there are several wonderful posters in the Greenville sub-forum (including some in marketing) who would be happy to answer your question.

As for my statement listing companies in the Greenville: I just wanted to mention several engineering firms in the area (or those companies that required large engineering support). I do know that GE-Greenville and Fluor both have a huge presence in the Upstate. Again, please contact the GEDC for additional info.

As an aside, I firmly believe both places (Chattanooga and Greenville) are wonderful places for families and retirees and offer a multitude of activities with a low cost-of-living.

Last edited by drfranklin; 11-27-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 36,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Yikes, I didn't mean to stir things up. I'm just quoting what the Greenville Economic Development Corporation stated on their PDF brochure (http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelopment.com/community/community_overview_/Profile_of_Greenville.pdf - broken link) under "A Skilled, Flexible Work Force", first page, second column. Unfortunately, I cannot quote statistical data regarding the above statement.

According to Neilson Claritas: Greenville, SC contains the 9th largest number of engineers, scientists, and computer professionals per employee in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
As for my statement listing companies in the Greenville: I just wanted to mention several engineering firms in the area (or those companies that required large engineering support). I do know that GE and Fluor both have a huge presence in the Upstate.
Well, in that case, Huntsville's employers include: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, Westar - QinetiQ, Jacobs Sverdrup Technology, Wyle, TRW, Raytheon, Teledyne, BAE Systems, Sanmina-SCI, SAIC, US Redstone Arsenal, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, etc. in a town of 150,000 people, 1/10 the size of Greenville, SC.

Huntsville is like making a carbon copy of El Segundo, CA and dropping it in the middle of rural Alabama. Do you understand why the claim that Greenville has more engineers per capita is like claiming a city in the US has more restaurants per capita than Dallas, Texas?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
I appreciate the information re Huntsville and I do understand your claim. I strongly suggest you call/contact the Greenville Area Development Corporation to clarify their website statements.

Unfortunately, this is getting a little off-topic and I suggest you start a new thread in the City vs. City sub-forum or perhaps post similar questions in the Greenville sub-forum. These are valid points you raise.

I do stand by my last statement (in my last post) and strongly believe both Greenville and Chattanooga are great areas. Now, I will leave this thread to the locals as I have been gone from Chattanooga for more than 2 years. I do plan to return this Christmas to see the EPB Christmas display - can't wait to see the "Scenic City" again!

Old 11-28-2010, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,880 times
My boyfriend lived in Greenville, SC for his entire life, & I've lived in Chattanooga for mine. This past year, he has recently moved down to Chattanooga (he said he was sick of Greenville). I've been to both, and lived in South Carolina for a few years (in Columbia). I spent tons of weekends in Greenville, but when I transferred back home to Chattanooga I couldn't have been happier. In my opinion, there's a lot more to do in Chattanooga/near Chattanooga with outdoors. Chattanooga is a good central location to everything too.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariengap View Post
That's interesting, but what does this have to do with your claim? To remind you, your claim is: Greenville, SC has more engineers per capita than anywhere in the country.

Are you sure Huntsville, Alabama doesn't have that distinction?
I think you're right...I read that somewhere...huntsville and engineers..btw- standing joke in SC .what does BMW stand for? bubba made these wheels...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga