Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 31,453 times

Advertisements

mia_magination:
We recently purchased 32 acres in Sequatchie, up the mountain just outside of Jasper. Our plan is to build a small cabin to use as a vacation getaway and eventually retire there. You should find reasonably priced housing in Jasper, Kimball, South Pittsburg, Whitwell. Mounteagle seems to be a bit pricey. You might want to check out South Pittsburg's web site..lot of local information, even a live web-cam. Pretty neat for a small town. Originally from northern NJ, we moved to Clermont, FL, just outside of Orlando. Taxes, insurance and overcrowding are getting out of hand. That, and we miss the change of seasons. Jasper might be a bit of a culture shock for you, coming straight form NYC, but if you're looking for a small, friendly town to raise children, you've found the right spot. Good luck in your home search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 68,809 times
visit South Pittsburg, 6 miles south of Jasper. It is a good place to live, good small town schools for the kids, everyone is friendly and welcoming. Come and visit us at Holly Ave. United Methodist church!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 33,451 times
Default Jasper Information Please?!

Am new to this web-site; just located while Googling DC area residence info. No, am not moving; just know someone who will be. As I live in Marion County, just curious to learn where you landed and pass along a bit of info about the area for benefit of others:
Major towns include:
South Pittsburg - Home of CornBread Festival - April each year
Jasper - has Rarity Bay community coming which is expensive but, the area has reasonable priced housing
Kimball - just look for the Fireworks Signs
Powell's Crossroads - Ketner Mill Fair - October each year
Whitwell - check out the ButtonWillow Dinner Theatre (Civil War Theme)

Overall, the county is quite family-oriented with each town having schools, neighborhood parks, short driving distance to lake or mountain should you not live there, plenty of both rural & suburban living readily available etc. And yes, we may be a bit like Mayberry! Football is big in the area with soccer growing. Easy drive to Chattanooga within 30 min or less depending upon where living via I-24, Hwy 41 or even Hwy 283 across Suck Creek Mtn. I driving from Powell's Crossroads/Whitwell area which is only about 22 miles from north end of Market Street Bridge in downtown Chattanooga.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 AM

5 posts, read 23,768 times
Jasper is the county seat for Marion County. It is a little town. There's Kimball too, South Pittsburg and Richard City. Richard City is basically on the Tennessee Alabama state line. Not really a city, a community. There are high school football rivalries the Marion County Warriors and the South Pittsburg Pirates. It's a friendly everyone knows everybody kind of place. There are a lot of things like the Fall Color Cruise from Chattanooga down to about Haletown which is not too far from Jasper. It all has a sort of Mayberry feel to it. If you are used to a big city this will be a culture shock to the system but you'll soon get used to the pace of a small Southern town.
I know the area rather well as my Father's family is from this county and I live in Chattanooga.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times
During the fall color cruise, are there charter boats available? We will be in the area the last weekend of October and we're looking forward to it.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
Hello...I'm brand new to this site...actually happened upon it by accident! I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I am a native of Marion County and South Pittsburg specifically. South Pittsburg has approx. 3500 people in a town nestled between two mountains and also borders the Tennessee river. We are 7 miles from Jasper and 30 miles from Chattanooga. Our downtown is alive and thriving now because of the multi-million dollar property developments at Nickajack Lake and South Pittsburg Mountain. We are one of only three towns in the Nation that have FREE WI-FI computer internet access! Our mayor is young, very forward-thinking, and motivated to action. Our downtown is beautiful and we are in the process of expansion and development of the downtown while retaining the "small town" atmosphere & southern hospitality. The National Cornbread Festival hosts 60,000 to 80,000 people each April and in the fall we have a Community-Wide Yard Sale Event. I lived for 15 years in W. Palm Beach Florida and we moved back here 13 years ago so that our children could grow up in a safe place where everyone knows everyone! I hope this helps...I just want everyone to know how excited we are for our town's future and how happy we are to belong to such a nice community!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPittsburg View Post
Hello...I'm brand new to this site...actually happened upon it by accident! I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I am a native of Marion County and South Pittsburg specifically. South Pittsburg has approx. 3500 people in a town nestled between two mountains and also borders the Tennessee river. We are 7 miles from Jasper and 30 miles from Chattanooga. Our downtown is alive and thriving now because of the multi-million dollar property developments at Nickajack Lake and South Pittsburg Mountain. We are one of only three towns in the Nation that have FREE WI-FI computer internet access! Our mayor is young, very forward-thinking, and motivated to action. Our downtown is beautiful and we are in the process of expansion and development of the downtown while retaining the "small town" atmosphere & southern hospitality. The National Cornbread Festival hosts 60,000 to 80,000 people each April and in the fall we have a Community-Wide Yard Sale Event. I lived for 15 years in W. Palm Beach Florida and we moved back here 13 years ago so that our children could grow up in a safe place where everyone knows everyone! I hope this helps...I just want everyone to know how excited we are for our town's future and how happy we are to belong to such a nice community!
thanks for the info! We will have to drive over to check out your town

Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverviewLady View Post
Jasper is the county seat for Marion County. It is a little town. There's Kimball too, South Pittsburg and Richard City. Richard City is basically on the Tennessee Alabama state line. Not really a city, a community. There are high school football rivalries the Marion County Warriors and the South Pittsburg Pirates. It's a friendly everyone knows everybody kind of place. There are a lot of things like the Fall Color Cruise from Chattanooga down to about Haletown which is not too far from Jasper. It all has a sort of Mayberry feel to it. If you are used to a big city this will be a culture shock to the system but you'll soon get used to the pace of a small Southern town.
I know the area rather well as my Father's family is from this county and I live in Chattanooga.
And i miss Mayberry!

Mia_magination, i'm from the Kimball, South Pittsburg, and Jasper area and i can tell you that i love it! If i ever get the chance to move back there, i will never leave it again. I sent you a private message, i hope you got it. Let me know if you have any questions and i'll try and answer them.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPittsburg View Post
I live in Jasper, have since 1990, Originally from Charlotte, and I would agree that South Pittsburgh is very forward thinking in how they market their area. Each area has it's plus and minuses, and for me I really look at it as 3 of the towns as one. Jasper, Kimbell and South Pittsburgh are not 7 miles from one to the other, with Kimbell in the middle. Education is not as strong as some Chattanooga schools, but it is all things, what you make of it. Cost of living is very good, and even with the push west from Chattanooga to grow, ?I think that it will stay that way. And from my house I can be in downtown Chattanooga in 15-20 minutes, so the commute is not bad. Lots of good people, it suffers from everyone in everyone's business, as every small town I have ever seen does, but it is not bad. We like it here.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,477 times
Ghammer - Will you be attending the Cornbread Festival next week? I think that has helped the area get on the map a little...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga