Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 5,269 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I am taking the advice of my brother and sister-in-law and looking at Chattanooga for my next move. I'm hoping that where I go next can be a long-term stay, as I have had experience in relocating to random cities (it was a fun four years) but never found what I'd look for in a home.

As it stands, the only reason I considered looking into the city is for schooling. I've heard nothing but good about UTC. The programs I am looking for (History and Creative Writing) are highly praised by alumni. But instead of following my old habits of just picking a town and hitting the road, I'd like to look ahead and make a plan. Planning needs other opinions and advice of locals.

Demographics don't tell me much except for vague numbers. That doesn't make a city. By that notion, my home town seems pretty nice, but I know better and would tell others the same. I'm hoping I can find that, here.

After trying to set my roots in my home town of Alexandria, LA and failing miserably for three years, I've ended up with a set of priorities/goals. I'd look for an affordable town that wasn't too big, and find a small, decent enough house with a yard. I have my two dogs which are pretty much my kids, so they get a higher priority than I give my own comfort. Of course, I'd look for someplace safe and understand very well that there isn't such a thing as completely safe, but if there are certain neighborhoods in Chattanooga I should avoid (like my home town with 'Lower Third', 'Sonya Quarters', and 'North Side') I'd like to know.

The job market is terrible everywhere and for multiple reasons. What kind of work could a 26 year-old man trying to get out of the delivery business (8 years delivering pizza, would love to stop doing that) hope to find out that way?

Most importantly, what are the people like? After living in non-Southern states, I've learned that southern hospitality tends to unnerve people who aren't used to it. I'm not very out-going but do go to a pub on occasion. What could I find in Chattanooga?

I know it's all fairly vague, but I'm not entirely sure how to ask everything without it being "is this place better than Alexandria?" which would only make sense to the residents of my town. If any of you can give advice or better questions, I'd be very grateful. Thank you for your time.

-Swift

Last edited by Swiftfoot; 12-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Typo in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM

70 posts, read 213,318 times
Swiftfoot,
No, Chattanooga is not Alexandria, LA. (I know because I spent 6 months at Ft. Polk during my military 'experience' and traveled through Alexandria several times).
Your post, although quite lengthy and detailed, isn't that much different from what anyone else would be asking about moving to Chattanooga...."Is it going to meet my needs?" As you might guess, the answer is "...it depends." I think Chattanooga is a great city and I don't see why anyone would not like to live here. However, some folks just have different expectations and, due to personality, background, prior experiences, or other life events, can't manage to 'fit in'. I don't know you and your situation so I can't tell you if you'll be happy here or not. Really, that will be up to you. In general, the people are friendly (that southern hospitality you mentioned), the area has numerous opportunities for an enjoyable lifestyle, the cost of living is considerably below the national average, and the environment is beautiful. Employment opportunities are available...maybe not exactly what you're looking for...but, with the right qualifications, you should be able to make a decent living whlie looking for something better. If you have the ability, I'd suggest you visit the city and spend a few weeks here to see for yourself how you might 'fit in'.
Rick

Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 15,152 times
I am 28, born and raised here. While I am just simply sick of it for never having a change, I can understand why people come here. The cost of living is much lower than other places, no state income tax, and a lot of employment. Our downtown is seriously lacking compared to other cities. It has very little shopping, a few bars, an aquarium, minor league field, and some chain restaurants. People in their 20s go down there on weekend nights mainly. Our "main" side of town, which is very busy and "trafficky" is called East Brainerd, with the center focus of everything being off Gunbarrel Rd. This area is very convenient, has jobs (although many corp jobs are downtown) but of course the housing is much more expensive there and higher property tax as many pay city and county tax. There are a lot of apts everywhere also. There are plenty of nearby areas that are safe that are part of chattanooga such as Hixson, Red Bank, or Ooltewah. As far as jobs go...we have a new Amazon plant and VW plant. I do know that you do not necessarily have to have any sort of degree to work at these desirable places, although i hear they have high turnover due to the long hours and hard work. Good Luck to ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga