Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 AM

152 posts, read 247,209 times

Advertisements

We love Chattanooga and intend to move there eventually. Our children want to attend NC colleges though. We're happy, they're making the high grades. Can anyone tell me a NC town, nice area nearest to Chatt or perhaps Knox. We would like to stay close to the GA/TN line but will have to reside in NC for 4 years most probably. We don't want to pay out of state college tuition. ugh. Yep, it's a dilemma.
Thanks!
If Rick is reading this please advise. You have stated on other posts, you have lived in TN 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Murphy, NC would probably be the closest town to Chattanooga. The only thing I could tell you about it is, it might be nearly a 2 hour drive away.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 AM

Default Murphy

Thank you. I have driven through Murphy, nice. It's 2.5 hrs. We have property in Hendersonville but not ready to build and taxes lower in TN.
Have you been to small town Brevard, NC? I think this is a 4 hr drive to Chatt though. I work from home but husband travels. Appreciate!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 213,149 times
ftlmom,
I would agree with creekcat. Murphy,NC is probably the closest larger town to Chattanooga, but still in NC. As you might expect, there are a multitude of "communities" in NC that you could choose from. If you're looking at Knoxville, then you're going to have to get up in the mountains to be in NC. Waynesville, Bryson City come to mind, but these are also 2+ hours from Knoxville.
--Rick

Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
When I saw your post I immediately thought of the "greater' Murphy NC Area, Its only few miles from the NC/TN/GA lines. Can't get much close then that.

When you say your DH travels, How? Does he need easy access to CHA airport? or he 'on the road'? If he going to CHA, How often? Where is he flying to? Most flight out of CHA are going to require a connection if you are not stopping in the HUB cities.

An Hour+ each to the airport can be a issue. if he doing it allot.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick26 View Post
ftlmom,
I would agree with creekcat. Murphy,NC is probably the closest larger town to Chattanooga, but still in NC. As you might expect, there are a multitude of "communities" in NC that you could choose from. If you're looking at Knoxville, then you're going to have to get up in the mountains to be in NC. Waynesville, Bryson City come to mind, but these are also 2+ hours from Knoxville.
--Rick
Thanks, Murphy is the closest. I'm having our daughter look into UTC. UT Knox too large! Reminds me of UOF, Gainesville, FL. We're from FL. We're torn. Kids grow and do there thing but they like UNC & WNC smaller college. We want Chatt but may have to sacrifice a few
years. We have two years to decide. Appreciate it. I'm in insurance but not sure I'm staying with it. Is the job market looking up? My friends tell me Chat is booming! The husband works for VW. Friend works at the Y. Her clients all businesses are doing well. I hear wages are lower though. Time to leave FL which is beautiful in spots but negative in other. High prices and people from all over the world in south Fl. We have 20-25 years to retire so we must keep working.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
F.M. WELCOME. There a some FLA re-locates on this board.. Reminder again North Carolina will be expensive to live there. State income tax. Also I believe there is a personal item vehicle property tax.
Like the newer year car you drive , how many boats you own, etc.
DAYTON has a smaller college. BRYAN Bryan: A Christian College in Dayton, TN Cleveland is LEE univ ,I believe.
YES, all the business positive about Chatt is correct. ... We were in Brevard N.C. this spring , Cute
town, very big on outdoor waterfalls , hiking, etc. Still over 4 1/2 hr to Chatt as fastest way to go North
on the express way toward Ashville, then down I-40 into Knox, I-75 south to Chatt. All of the east
roads have to twist & turn thru the mtns.. Chatt UTC seems to be doing well. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga