Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 17,367 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently living in the Los Angeles area, with the possibility of a job transfer to Cleveland, TN. My girlfriend and I (we are gay) are both into the outdoors, camping, hiking, etc. and have both lived in small communities. I grew up in Northern Michigan and I don't think the change of going from a ridiculously crowded city to a small town will be an issue. However, we are concerned about:

1. job prospects for my girlfriend who works in wildlife/environmental biology,
2. how we will or will not fit into the community being gay, or how the community will accept us,
3. houses put on crawlspaces...LOL this is a joke, having read some of the prior posts we had to throw this in here.
4. and what about diversity, can you find good food such as Thai, sushi, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc.
5. How is the weather? Humidity? I know it won't be Los Angeles 70 degrees all the time, but then again it won't be northern MI cold.

Any other information you might find informative would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,659,259 times
BUT we have crawlspaces! lol I don't know much about the job market in Cleveland but I can tell you that there are quite a few friends of Dorothy up that way Just check out a ballfield in the summer! It's not exactly the most open area but the ppl I know that live up there are comfortable. There are a couple of cool eateries that you might enjoy but nothing like a big city would offer. Cleveland is close enough to Chattanooga that you can easily and quickly have yourself a great night on the town. 'nooga has some good ethnic foods. Knoxville is also close enough for a day trip. Outdoor activities are amazing in the Cleveland area for hikers and rafters! Amazing stuff to be seen and done! Now that humidity... WHEW! I can't even think about it right now as it's 33 degrees outside lol

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,878,081 times
Thumbs up Great Outdoor Activities

K: You picked the best outdoor target in our region. Can go three different ways for weekend trips. Like "J" said Chatt or Knox for bigger cities, or East into N.C. for more summer festivals.
A college degree will go a long way here, for more envirmental services. Mtn parks region. Pic is of Ocoee Olympic kayak conference center.
Cleveland is a Religious university city, being re-modeled. Along I-75 , great shopping. Coming from L.A., very affordable, maybe 40% of current budget.!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,686,206 times
crawlspaces...tsk, tsk, tsk

cleveland is a great little town......come on out and check it out!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 AM

3 posts, read 34,641 times
Default Did you move???

Have you girls already made the move to my hometown? I didn't want to go into details if you were already here. Just let me know and if you are here, its always good to have friends.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,662 times
yeah did you move yet or what? we moved here from florida and its alright but i miss the sun. defintly have to go to chatt for the food i hate driving but my love for food and trails keep me in chatt like 3 times a week. its always gloomy here though is it always like this in cleveland!? the sun actually came out yesterday and after not having seen it in so long i felt like i was going blind lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga