Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Working vs. going to college: pension, college money, railroad job, marital issues

Old 02-10-2008, 07:36 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,849 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I've just arrived in Chattanooga from Seattle by way of Alabama on my way to Johnson City......confused? Me too.

I retired from the military last year with the plan of moving to Johnson City, TN to go to college. I have a $1750 monthly pension and will receive another $1650 in college money if I go to school, I get 0 dollars if I don't go to school and I only have another 8 years to use up 3 years of college money.

But on my way from Seattle to Johnson City in my RV, I was offered a job in Kansas City with the railroad last year (june), so off to KC I went, left the family behind. 6 months later, I was moved to Alabama for 2 months and now I'm in Chattanooga. Meanwhile the wife and son moved to Johnson City and started a new lease and son started school (high school).

So here I am, working at a job that I don't particularly care all that much about, have been separated from the family for over 8 months, with at least another 4 to go and will be paying 2 rents, when I could be in Johnson City going to college, making not too much less than I am by working full time......and I ask myself why.

It's because I can't make a decision to chuck the job and take a leap of faith that I can survive and thrive on an unknown path. Or is it because deep down I would just rather work continuously and not have to make a decision. Or it's just because I'm stupid.

Sorry for the whine, I'm still looking for the cheese myself

I ask people on the railroad if they had a pension (small), no bills, money in the bank to pay cash for a house with cash left over and could be paid to go to college, would they go, almost everyone of them says heck yes!!

What do you think?

Tony

p.s. I'm 3 classes shy of my BA in History, I'd like to get another degree in Nursing, Xray or something moderately recession proof, but at the same time I'd had to give up a decent paying job for a bunch of......maybe's....maybe I'll get into nursing school, maybe I'll like doing something else.....maybe I'll get another decent paying job later.....ugh maybe I should talk to a doctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Tony, you do what "YOU" have to do !

Me on the other hand, would do the college......

Even if you don't goto college, you have a guaranteed income of $1750. Keep the money in the bank for now and rent for awhile and be with family.... My 2 ¢

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,685,630 times
the doctor is in...5 cents please

Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times
Cool Well Tony, I normally charge $250 an hour for my services....

but seeing that you're X-Military, I'm willing to reduce my fees !!!

Okay, I've followed your 'story' for quite some time and here is my advice (just remember, you asked for it!!! ):

1) Quit the JOB. You have not been there long enough to have anything built up as far as pension or vacation, etc., so it won't be a huge deal. Also, if at all possible, leave on good terms with the Railroad (possibly say that marital issues or child issues are forcing you to make this decision, then if you needed to go back to work for them, you still could).

2) Go to JC and spend some quality time with your son and wife before starting college this fall. During this time you can find out what degree will be best for you, so that when you finish college, you will be able to get a good paying job and start working immediately.

3) Understand that the older you get, the more difficult it will be to find jobs. So if you go to school NOW, and start your new career ~mid 40's, it will be much better for you IMHO !

4) You're savvy in the RE arena . Don't BUY now! Rent until you finish with school and then you won't have to worry about selling to move for your new career. And if you and your family don't like JC, it will be so much easier to pack up and move. Also, there will be a lot of deals for those that have CASH ! Be one of them!

5) Lastly, you have a lot going for you, but 2007 turned out kind of 'strange' . Don't let that get you down . I believe that you are a Christian . If not, you may want to become one !!! Get you and your family into a good church and spend time in prayer and in the Bible. I believe if you do this and 'shake' off the bad things that happened in 2007, life will be much better for you and your family in 2008!!!

Best wishes and much success to you!

~HDL~

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post

Okay, I've followed your 'story' for quite some time and here is my advice (just remember, you asked for it!!! ):

1) Quit the JOB. You have not been there long enough to have anything built up as far as pension or vacation, etc., so it won't be a huge deal. Also, if at all possible, leave on good terms with the Railroad (possibly say that marital issues or child issues are forcing you to make this decision, then if you needed to go back to work for them, you still could).

2) Go to JC and spend some quality time with your son and wife before starting college this fall. During this time you can find out what degree will be best for you, so that when you finish college, you will be able to get a good paying job and start working immediately.

3) Understand that the older you get, the more difficult it will be to find jobs. So if you go to school NOW, and start your new career ~mid 40's, it will be much better for you IMHO !

4) You're savvy in the RE arena . Don't BUY now! Rent until you finish with school and then you won't have to worry about selling to move for your new career. And if you and your family don't like JC, it will be so much easier to pack up and move. Also, there will be a lot of deals for those that have CASH ! Be one of them!

5) Lastly, you have a lot going for you, but 2007 turned out kind of 'strange' . Don't let that get you down . I believe that you are a Christian . If not, you may want to become one !!! Get you and your family into a good church and spend time in prayer and in the Bible. I believe if you do this and 'shake' off the bad things that happened in 2007, life will be much better for you and your family in 2008!!!

Best wishes and much success to you!

~HDL~
Thanks HDL,

I'm new to Chattanooga, but I've been on the TN forum for well over a year, got some good advice, was unable to pull the trigger on any of it.....too scared I guess.

If I had to do it over again, I don't think that I would have taken the railroad job, but it has definitely been "different".

I'm waiting for the wife to either get approval for unemployment or find a job (she's applying) and then I may actually have to make a decision.

Tony

Tony

Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times
Thumbs up Hey Tony

I saw on another thread that you QUIT the railroad job last week and are in the process of moving to JC ! I also saw that you have 4 interviews this week !! Congratulations on your decision to be with family and BEST WISHES for landing a new position very soon or heading back to college !!!

Please keep us all updated on how things go for you and your family . At one time, I too considered moving to that area and I'm curious as to what your thoughts will be about living and working there !

Prayers and blessings,

~HDL~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga