Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 AM

70 posts, read 102,412 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Does anyone live in or know someone who lives in the Cloudland Station residential development? Online, it looks very interesting as a potential retirement destination.

Is it conveniently located near everyday things - grocery store (not Wal-Mart), CVS/Walgreens, restaurants, Target, hardware store/Lowe's, hospital/medical care?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Depends on your definition or "near" and "convenient". I grew up in rural Mississippi with the closest grocery store 8 miles away down 2-lane roads, and that looks like what you'll have here. But 8 miles there means about 10 minutes, which is about how long it takes me to go 4 miles in the city.

Closest town is Chickamauga, a little historic town steeped in railroad and civil war history. It's just south of the first ever National Military Park. There are a couple of grocery stores around and a few clusters of restaurants, but most are fast-food. A few nicer ones. Some coworkers live in the area and commute to downtown.

Closet town with a large selection of stores and restaurants is Fort Oglethorpe, about 12 miles or 15-20 minutes.

Closest Walmart (time) is Lafayette, rural 2-lane drive. Closest cluster of big-box stores (including another Walmart, closest distance) would be Battlefield Parkway east of Fort Oglethorpe.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 AM

Thank you, Jwkilgore. Helpful to know the approximate distances. Sounds like things are fairly close and convenient.

As an aside, I keep hoping a developer is going to come along and create a beautiful active adult (55+) community around Chattanooga. There are so many of those options in NC, GA, SC and, of course, FL. I'd prefer to settle in TN, but without the option of a planned community (with like-minded transplants) in the Chattanooga area, it's becoming clear that we might need to look closely at Tellico Village or another community outside the Scenic City.
Thanks again for the helpful info!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:17 AM

Those totally exist all around Chattanooga. Several of them. Here's the top result when I google "beautiful active adult (55+) community around Chattanooga":

https://seniordirectory.com/listing/...nt-communities

I know of one more that I noticed isn't on the list:
Greenbriar Cove: Located at the end of the Collegedale Greenway so I've been there multiple times. They have both regular houses and an assisted living facility. Just be aware that this is a predominantly Seventh Day Adventist area because of the nearby Southern Adventist University. But other than getting used to a few differences (stores open on Sunday instead of Saturday, even some areas have weekend mail on Sunday, etc.) it'll only affect you if you get uptight about how other people observe their version of Christianity.

I vaguely recall others, but need to get back to work and don't have time to Google them.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Just curious, but are you working with a local Realtor? Any decent Realtor should be able to immediately point you to all sorts of options that meet what you're looking for.

No, I am not one, but several frequent this forum and I'm surprised they haven't responded.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Thank you, again, Jwkilgore.
While I appreciate the link to the 55+ communities, I think I'm seeking something different. With the exception of Greenbriar Cove, the "active adult communities" around Chattanooga are apartments. We're not ready to downsize quite that much yet! I should've been clearer on my definition of "active adult community." Something like these:
1. Cresswind in GA - https://www.kolterhomes.com/new-home...t-lake-lanier/
2. Trilogy Lake Norman - https://www.sheahomes.com/new-homes/...y-lake-norman/

So, with that said - there doesn't seem to be a similar spot near Chattanooga. Maybe someday soon?!
Also, I've exchanged emails with a couple of helpful realtors, but knowing our timeline for retirement/relocation is about 3-4 years, I don't want to waste their time at this point. I'm simply trying to get a sense of what options we might have once we're ready to retire. Sadly, Georgia and the Carolinas are becoming more enticing in terms of lifestyle/real estate choices.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Gotcha.

Another one I knew about but can't find a website for is Stonebrook near Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd and East Brainerd Rd. It's a maintenance free community that heavily advertised a while back. It doesn't look like anything is for sale right now, but considering the average homeowner age something may be available in a few years:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9935...7i13312!8i6656

A few hundred feet from a good grocery store, and if golf is your thing Windstone is right behind it.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Good to know - thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga