Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am going to throw this out there for consideration: I don't care for PDA's (public displays of affection) from any couples. Holding hands and a gentle hand resting on the back of someone is about all I care to see. I think tongues and arms and legs wrapped around others should not be out in public; no matter if you are hetero or homo. Anyone care to agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:14 AM

28 posts, read 103,137 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Ok, I am going to throw this out there for consideration: I don't care for PDA's (public displays of affection) from any couples. Holding hands and a gentle hand resting on the back of someone is about all I care to see. I think tongues and arms and legs wrapped around others should not be out in public; no matter if you are hetero or homo. Anyone care to agree or disagree?

I am with you on that!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I am from Chattanooga and am gay. I now live in Seattle because of where I came from! There is/was only on gay club in the city when I left in 2003 and it was pretty much taken over by the straights'. Why?? Because "we" have the best music and cheap booze. And in the south we are something to stare at. Beware holding hands in Chatt-town! There is STILL discrimination and hate. You are in the buckle of the bible belt!!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM

184 posts, read 676,253 times
These are the only clubs I know of:
Chuck's... http://www.angelfire.com/tn/chucksii/ (broken link)
Images... Images
Alan Gold's... MySpace.com - Alan Gold's - 31 - Male - CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - www.myspace.com/alangolds

SmokeyMtnGal... I'm french

Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adguest View Post
I am from Chattanooga and am gay. I now live in Seattle because of where I came from! There is/was only on gay club in the city when I left in 2003 and it was pretty much taken over by the straights'. Why?? Because "we" have the best music and cheap booze. And in the south we are something to stare at. Beware holding hands in Chatt-town! There is STILL discrimination and hate. You are in the buckle of the bible belt!!!!
Things have changed a lot since 2003. The 4 gay bars have been here for years. You forgot to mention "The Big Chill" downtown, which has a large gay clientelle.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

184 posts, read 676,253 times
Cool, wasn't sure about the Big Chill. I still haven't checked it out but will soon.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
Wink Just a thought...

I believe that we all have right to live our lives as happily as possible. Whether you are heto or not, affection is an important part of building a solid and loving relationship. However, I also am of the opinion that not all forms of expressions are appropriate in public. Respect is the fundamental issue here. I love my partner and I am in love with her but we do not display everything that we feel for eachother for others to see. That remains a part of our household ritual. We live in a "free" country but we all have social rules to follow no matter what lifestyle we choose.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
I agree with you bearclanwoman. I don't want to see straight couples or gay couples making out in public. Some things are better left at home. Not only because this is Chattanooga, a former bible belt area, but I believe that anywhere in the country, kissing and other forms of affection should be left at home. I've made comments to couples making out in public to get them to rethink their strategy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM

23 posts, read 70,832 times
I'm straight, but I'm also from South Florida, spent summers as a child in Provincetown Mass, and have a number of gay friends. That makes me pretty different from a lot of people around here. I don't live in Chattanooga (yet) but I am there a few times a week. I've never seen/heard any discrimination against gays - any more than I get for being a Libertarian and someone who often questions the Bible.

There are always narrow-minded people. All you can do is hold your head up and stick to your convictions. Some people say I am going to hell. I know Christians who believe that gay people are going to hell. I think hell is a myth -- what matters is what you do with your life, how you help others do better in life, and leave the world a better place than it was.

I think keeping your affection for each other in public tasteful is important no matter what your orientation - gay or straight, or multicolored... I'd rather people got a room than start groping each other and go smoochy in public. Tolerances may build if people see there is nothing to be offended by or threatened from.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 PM

61 posts, read 95,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icmusic View Post
I agree with you bearclanwoman. Not only because this is Chattanooga, a former bible belt area,
Um, ah, hmmm, surely that "former" is a typo? (From Wiki: Bible Belt is an informal term for an area of the United States in which socially conservative evangelical Protestantism is a dominant part of the culture and Christian church attendance across the denominations is extremely high).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga