Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 18,853 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know this is a relatively specific request, but I'm running into tons of bureaucracy just to get simple information on special education resources here in Chattanooga.

Background: Moved to Chattanooga from the west coast over a year ago. Since this time my child has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. We are still in the preschool years, but I want to know what elementary (and beyond) schools are the best for working with special needs kids, and specifically with autism. I welcome any personal experiences, recommendations, and anti-recommendations.

I am very familiar with Siskin and have already (without much luck) contacted the Hamilton County school district for info. So, any other redirections to possible resources and additional insider information are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
I may know someone that can help. Will gather info and DM you

Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 18,853 times
Thanks Tridad!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:15 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
For preschool years, try Signal Centers. I've gotta check the HCDE stuff... hold tight. Probably Tridad has you covered though

Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 PM

5 posts, read 22,930 times
How old is your child....contact me at christine@palswithpawz.org I can maybe help you.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,446 times
Default I have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Hi everyone,

I know this is a relatively specific request, but I'm running into tons of bureaucracy just to get simple information on special education resources here in Chattanooga.

Background: Moved to Chattanooga from the west coast over a year ago. Since this time my child has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. We are still in the preschool years, but I want to know what elementary (and beyond) schools are the best for working with special needs kids, and specifically with autism. I welcome any personal experiences, recommendations, and anti-recommendations.

I am very familiar with Siskin and have already (without much luck) contacted the Hamilton County school district for info. So, any other redirections to possible resources and additional insider information are appreciated.

Thanks!

I am going through the same thing. I cannot find a school or after school that can meet the needs of my 7 y/o. She has Aspergers Syndrome. I am a single mother and am about to lose my job because I cannot find a facility designed to meet her needs and so when she has her "meltdowns" they call me and I have to get off and go get her. I have lost 3 jobs already in the last two years. If something doesn't give soon we will be on the street because i will be jobless again!!! PLEASE let me know if you find out anything. my email is ra.everett70@gmail.com I don't care who reads this and has any info that might help, I would be forever in your debt !!

Thanks,
Annie

Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
Annie,

I'll send you the contact info I sent gossie

Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,446 times
Thank you you can send it to the address posted.

Annie

Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,444 times
Default Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Scenic Land School in Red Bank
Bachman Academy in Mcdonald
Both are excellent

Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,025 times
I am the Mother of a 6 year old daughter who has special needs. She has severe ADHD, drug affected, cocaine exposure inutero and is about 2 yrs developmentally behind. Does anyone have any idea if there are any schools in Hamilton County near Chattanooga that can help her? How are the public schools there? We love where we are right now in SC, but we have to move to Chattanooga. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga