Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,516 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both 25, We live in central florida and are looking to start a family in the next few years. Central Florida is just getting a little big and not so friendly in parts for us to raise kids to our preference.

My husband is an outdoors man (meat and potatoes all the way and grew up in alabama) i was born and raised in central florida and we are both looking for a larger town/smallish city (not too too big) that we can raise a family where our kids can play outdoors and we can have our dogs and really enjoy life.

Weather wise a little snow would be fine just not long blistering winters, we want the chance to experience the 4 seasons

We thought about north georgia/chattanooga area and need some input since we would be coming from florida. (this is all under the assumption we can find jobs)

Any advice about any of these areas or areas to look would be appreciated, sorry for the whole life story but wanted to give posters some background
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:50 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,770 times
laxinhetha,

I came here from South FL, so I understand totally what you are saying in your post. I moved to the town of Murfreesboro in Middle TN. and absolutely love it here. I have a nice home in a nice clean and very family oriented neighborhood. Murfreesboro itself is not small town but a small city. It is very self contained with plenty of restaurants, stores, a mall, golf courses and a park. It's very clean, well kept and growing. I have met some really nice people here. It's a very welcoming area for a transplant. There is also a chance you could work and live here, which means no commute. My husband and I both work local, it takes us about 5 minutes to get to work each day.

As for the climate, you will get to experience all 4 seasons, although, they are very mild. It does get cold in winter and you will see some snow, but it lasts only a few hours. You won't need a shovel or anything!

I don't know what your husband or you do for a living or whether you are looking to buy or rent but, check out Murfreesboro. It is very affordable with homes and apts is many different price ranges and good schools for your future children.

If there is any other help I can offer please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Default Jobs..??

Y.C. : Ex Brevard county here and weather , neighbors ,outdoor activities are just great. Storms have brought New Orleans and Florida homeowners (Myself included) to this enjoyable region.
... Keep reading central Fla (PALM BAY) posts and very discouraging. National economy has all states scrambling for a stable industry. North Georgia is heavy into the CARPET industry and with the Housing down turn many layoffs in that region. Chattanooga just won the Volkswagon assembly plant deal , but assume like the boating companies of Knoxville future plants will be ROBOTIC & High tech , college degree.
.. Two interstate here and trucking industry popoular. Also we have good source of Heavy machinery bull dozer dealers (Case , Komatso, Catapiller if you have experience).
.. There is a good county placement agency , & newspaper always have "Job Fair". Remember going from NY to FLA was Out of State - No connections / references. Medical is big here and Blue Cross / Blue Shield new 300 million headquarters. Also a good tourist industry ..??
.. ANY HELP to ya . Sorry for the delay .

Old 10-08-2008, 04:55 PM

22 posts, read 66,927 times
I know how you feel we live in Palm Bay and have 3 kids we are trying to get all of our stuff together to move to either chattanooga or west georgia. The crime is getting to be a little much for us down here. Good luck with your search!!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM

59 posts, read 219,076 times
don,t be to hasty! chattanooga has its share of crime as well

Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Great tips thanks!!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM

22 posts, read 66,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1156 View Post
don,t be to hasty! chattanooga has its share of crime as well

Is it really that bad??? A 16 yr old kid cut some womans throat about a mile from here the other day for 6.00....It's gotta be better than that ...RIGHT??????

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM

an elderly man (who does missionary work) got beaten with a bat by two teenage punks for a lowsy $50! In the daylight! Thats why we want out of central florida!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 PM

246 posts, read 754,971 times
You can compare Chattanooga to Tampa in that respect.
Come to a smaller town outside Chatt. You'll have to travel there to work, but its worth being able to live in a smaller community.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 AM

59 posts, read 219,076 times
I moved from ft lauderdale 3 months ago trying to escape the same type issues including taxes and insurance. chattanooga is a nice place to live and the people are very friendly but like most cities you have to be aware of your surroundings. if you do your homework I am sure you can find the right area for your family to live and be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga