Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 10,346 times

Advertisements

Hello Tennessee-ians!
I have a few questions for you.

We are orginally from Virginia, but have lived in Detriot area for five years. We recently got word of a transfer to Chattanooga! It's a prayer answered! We are looking forward to getting back down south and meeting "nice" people! he-he. As well as being closer to family.

I have discovered the small city of Cleveland, Tn. I was wondering if anyone could help us out with that city with it's back ground. How does it compare to Chatta? If you had a choice would you live in one over the other.

I've read up on the schooling in Cleveland and seems their schools are awesome. I am currently a stay-at-home-mom, but I was a teacher prior to having children. Is the teacher turn over rate higher in Chatta or Cleveland?

We are modern hillbillies so we are looking for a good safe place to raise our children where they can run outside without worries.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be on here often because we have a couple of months before our arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM

137 posts, read 431,166 times
Quote:
I have discovered the small city of Cleveland, Tn. I was wondering if anyone could help us out with that city with it's back ground. How does it compare to Chatta?
Cleveland is really small, and doesn't offer nearly as much to do as Chattanooga. I think you should assume Chattanooga unless Cleveland really stands out as something you would love.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

22 posts, read 159,259 times
Hi I would suggest checking out McDonald, Apison, Collegedale and possibly Ooltewah. I think that you may find what you like in those places.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM

70 posts, read 299,040 times
Default Big town vs small town

Hello!

I guess it has a lot to do with two things: 1) How do you like commuting to work? 2) Do you like the "touch-and-feel" of a large city over a smaller town - or do you like what smaller towns have to offer? I believe these represent the bottom-line...

My wife and I lived in Cleveland for about 9 years and moved further up I-75 (away from Chattanooga) about 11 years ago. My wife and I both worked in Chattanooga while we were living in Cleveland and the 30 minute (give-or-take) commute wasn't really all that bad. Also, they are now widening the Intersate up to Oltewah, so that should lessen the traffic quite a bit during rush hour - and Chattanooga does have a trqffic-filled rush hour. In fact, Cleveland does for that matter - but it is a lot less stressful.

As for big city and small town... Chattanooga isn't all that much of a "big city" and Cleveland isn't that much of a small town. They are somewhere in the middle. However, Cleveland still has the feeling of a smaller place to live while Chattanooga has lost the small town feeling.

Some odds-and-ends IMHO's: I think Chattanooga has more problems with crime. Chatanooga has done a great job in revitalizing its downtown area but it seems to still struggle with "finding itself". Cleveland is the home to 'The Church of God' and 'The Church of God of Prophecy' so there is something of a religious zeal in Cleveland. Lee University (Church of God) is in Cleveland (a very good school, incidentally) and there is also a 2-year college there. Chattanooga has several advanced schools including a campus of the University of Tennessee and a two year college.

Bottom-line: We would choose Cleveland over Chattanooga. Period. Anything we might need or want to do which was not available in Cleveland, would only be a 30-40 minute drive away in Chattanooga. And in either case, if you would ever want to take in a really "big city", then Knoxville is 90 minutes up the orad, Nashville is about 2 hours away in another direction, and Atlanta is only a couple hours South of Chattanooga.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 10,346 times
Thanks for all the advice!

We are the type of people who likes the small town feel. I'm thinking Cleveland will work really good for us. Or even the smaller areas in around Cleveland like McDonald.

I love historical towns and communities I can get involved in. And wouldn't you know...the Atlanta Braves is my favorite b-ball team! I'm sure we'll make a few trips down there.

I will not work in Chatta, but my hubby will. If I get a job it will hopefully be in the Cleveland area. Do you guys know anything about the education field there? I have my Virginia teaching licenses in math and history-middle school.

We are very excited to move down there. It's going to be perfect for us and I look forward to getting to know all the people. Any suggestions on new comers club or how to meet other stay at home moms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga