Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,872 times

Advertisements

Im looking to be moving to the Chattanooga area within six months from now. My significant other will be down there in two weeks :-0!!! Anyways, Im a firefighter paramedic moving from the detroit metro area, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any fire departments or ems agencies (government only) that were hiring in the area. ALSO more importantly, where to live???? I live out in the country now on a little 12 acre farm, and she lives more towards the city, but still a big yard (by michigan standards). I LOVE the mountains, and she has never really got to experience them. She will be working out of Chattanooga, and I can be anywhere up to about 1.25 hrs away for my job.

I love the outdoors and am a very outdoorsy person. My brother lives in Asheville NC and they have so many outdoor activities, it makes me super jealous. SORRY to ramble on. Where would be a good place to live for reasonable transportation time into Chattanooga, but still offer a plethra of outdoor goodies? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up POE rd ,Plateau .

RT: When you get to Hamilton county , sounds like your piece of paradise may be UP on the plateau along the POE rd area . This is N.W. of the city , north of Red Bank and West of Soddy-Daisy (Falling Waters /gorge) area.
.. Smaller farms along where the Cumberland HIke Trail is being built , yet 20 25 minute drive into the city.
. All GOV't & State budgets are looking at 10 % short -falls, but if your job qualifications are strong should be able to get on a interview list .

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
For jobs check with T.V.A.. I don't know which contractor is in charge of the Gov. labs in Oak ridge, I would check there too. Living in Hamilton County, and working in Oak Ridge, will bust your 1.25 hour drive though.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 10,343 times
Oh my gosh...we are currently living in the Detriot area, where exactly are you living? We also will be relocating to the Chattanooga area in 6 months. We have chose to live in the Cleveland, TN area. It's smaller than Chatta and has a lot to offer for young families.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermullins7 View Post
Oh my gosh...we are currently living in the Detriot area, where exactly are you living? We also will be relocating to the Chattanooga area in 6 months. We have chose to live in the Cleveland, TN area. It's smaller than Chatta and has a lot to offer for young families.
I live in Armada (Northern most Macomb County) Where are you from? My gf just grabbed a job with VW. Coming from working for GM, its a pretty solid move I would think. LOL. What is Cleveland all about? Sound unattractive just cause i hear Cleveland, I think Cleveland OH LOL YUCK!!! Whats the demographic like for Cleveland? What about areas for Rafting and kayaking and camping? Any details for that?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
Cleveland is just east of Chattanooga and is right on the Interstate. My cousin moved there 10 years ago when he was in the army. He liked it and stayed there. It seems to have most everything a person would need and if your want the big city, Chattanooga is just a few minutes away. I think the Hamilton Place shopping area and food places for south east Chattanooga are only about 20 minutes from Cleveland.

Cleveland appears to have two rivers by it if your into boating or fishing and the Smokies are close by which I think offers a lot of out door stuff. There was a rafting place between Cleveland and Knoxville just cant remember how far.

Cleveland does have it's own newspaper if you want to read a little news but it dies seem quiet which to me would be a good thing.

If you like to mess with actual views of the streets go to msn.com then in the search window type in Cleveland, tn them click the maps logo on top the search window. This will pull up a road map view, zoom in a little then use the birdseye feature it will give you a good look at most any area of Cleveland, TN. If you mess with google maps you can do walk throughs which is neat as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 PM

we live in Monroe city which is Monroe County. Located on the Ohio state line.

We've decided to move to Cleveland for a couple of reasons. One, it's smaller than Chatta. It's a Christian based city, schools are good from what I read on the internet, and we are looking for a place that has that small town feels, but offers a lot.

I thought the VW plant was near Cleveland?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 AM

10 posts, read 104,913 times
Quote:
Whats the demographic like for Cleveland? What about areas for Rafting and kayaking and camping? Any details for that?
Are you in for a treat! Look up the Ocoee River online. One of the best kayaking, rafting rivers anywhere. It was the site of the '96 Olympic water sports.

We go to a family reunion every year just over the TN/GA state line and we go out of our way to go by the Ocoee. Gorgeous! I've been down it once in an 8-man raft. Thrilling to say the least.

Also, I have family up in Macomb, MI. We visit them about once every other year. They always stop by to see us on their way to Disney. I just do not see how anyone can take that depressing place. I'm sorry, I know there's beauty in every inch of our great land, but darn it, I don't see it when we go up there.

Good luck with your move, you'll love it.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM

We are very excited about the kayaking and hiking as well as the other things offered in that area. We love nature and look forward to taking advantage of all Cleveland has to offer.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose to live up here either. We did not choose this location, it was given to us. We have been trying to get out of MI for the last three years. We are from VA and have a strong desire to be closer to family. Cleveland will put us 4.5 hours away. I can't wait to get down there and start our life.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 AM

52 posts, read 182,265 times
For a mountain lover depending on how close to Chattanooga you want to be...there are some NICE areas.

Dunlap for example is BEAUTIFUL it's also the hang gliding capital of the State (and the Southeast I think). You drive through the main highway and on both sides you just see cliff faces it's pretty amazing. A bit north of Chattanooga and West too...Probably an hour or so drive to downtown.

Signal Mountain on 127 (which 127 runs all the way through TN and into a few northern/southern states) It's cut right through Signal Mountain (naturally) this is one of the "nicer" areas for home owners a lot of beautiful housing. About 10 to 30 minutes from Downtown depending on how far north on 127 you go. Very convient to some close shopping though.

Also Soddy Dasiy is a nice area...

It really depends on a few factors.

1. Where does she work and how far from work are you both willing to travel?

2. How much land do you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga