Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,574 times

Advertisements

I live in Carter County near Watauga lake now - nice area, but growing too fast. I prefer small towns that area friendly about 30 minutes to 1 hour away from Chattanooga. I am looking for reasonable housing/land. I am not a yuppie so donlt need/want gated communities and don't care about diversity, at same time don't want "you're n ot from around here redneck" attitude twowards outsiders either.
I am a Professional who owns own business and I have just myself and two Alaskan Malamute dogs so mountains, lakes, and some snow are ideal. Have a boat which I need to put in a marina. Any good twons near Chickamauga Lake?
Looking for friendly small town attitude people where crime is not an issue - I am a Florida transplant who will never go back to that zoo. I have looked at Dayton and Soddy Daisy - Harrison and OOltewah seemed too expensive/yuppie for me. Anyone recommend best towns to look at?

Last edited by abbababy; 03-02-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,120 times
Cool Soddy.?

A: What you asked for can be found in Soddy .? Marina for slips (hixon PIke) at Steve Landing restaurant .
. If you still need cheaper land , just North to Bakewell or Sale Creek all have same town / Tva camp/ launch access to river / Lake.
..Welcome to PM if you thing you missed something on the West side of River.
Retired Half-Back here. .. Classic boat collector.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,574 times
Default Re: more info on Soddy Daisy and Dayton area

Can not find much info on Soddy Daisy, but did get nice tips on initial reply. I have read that Dayton is a nice friendly small town to live in - anyone have an opinion? Is Dayton cheaper to live than Soddy Daisy? I just turned 50 and am looking to finally settle down. I enjoy kayaking, boating, and walking/running my dogs and taking them to dog sled pulls. Good churches and nice downtown areas also important.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Cool Dayton City , Soddy web.

A: I would say DAYTON is small city . Very historic, with famous CourtHouse & sideWalks. Just got NEW hospital last year.
. Our church , fairly new , on 55 acre farm land ,with barn , pavilion , tractor , etc. Big hill , but NO snow yestrerday . Puttting another $ million classromm / hall along side.
..................... .........
.. SODDY should have own website, City of Soddy-Daisy
New CUMBERLAND TRAIL 305 linear mile state park hike network being built up on the plateau , Walden Ridge, parallel Rt #27. Whitewater Kayaking and Rafting Rivers in the Cumberland Plateau Mountains, Kentucky
Good maps here for hike segments. TTA/CTC's Tennessee Hiking Guide to the Cumberland Trail With Maps/Pics
.Dayton , Graysville are just into RHEA county and could have lower tax costs. River is narrow in their city , but connects to the Hiwassee for ;paddle canoe / fishing , slightly brownish water.
. WIDER lake/river out of the Soddy COVES, pretty water, good fishing , also Marina (sailing) out of SALE CREEK.
..Our Cove , my Back Yard , House on TOP of hill right side of Pic. Five un-Build wooded lots, could build right next door. !!
..500 acres of BUFFER land at back door to run those dogs.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM

340 posts, read 1,511,536 times
Dayton is a nice small town and is not far from Chattanooga. It is likely less expensive than Soddy as Soddy is closer to a large city.

Split, I like your pics ok but do you need to post them in line in every single post? Seriously dude get a blog if you want to post all your photos. This is an advice board not a photo gallery.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,762 times
Both Soddy and Dayton fit your requirements as each offer outdoor recreation and marinas/close to the water and proximity to the mountains as well as cheaper housing prices (Dayton is probably a bit cheaper). Dayton has a great downtown with historic homes and sidewalks for taking your pooches out for a stroll. Soddy doesn't really have a downtown, just a strip along old 27. That is probably the major difference between the two. If you don't pester folks about when "so and so store" is coming to town or how much you miss "so and so's perogies" you should be ok LOL About that snow request, don't get your heart set unless you move up on the mountain.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up City-Data Contest Winners

Some extra CITY-DATA advice to NEW members . Enjoy if it applies to your new area.
//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...t-winners.html
The MARCH theme for CITY-DATA members to share advice.

//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...e-contest.html

Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM

246 posts, read 754,684 times
You can even keep heading a bit more north. Go up 111 to Cagle Mountain and search that area. Fall Creek Falls National Park is right up there, just follow the signs. Its partly in Bledsoe County and the Park has a wonderful lake. There are all sorts of mini small farms for sale up there close by too where your malmuts would enjoy the mountain living. Less than 1 hour from Chattanooga from most places there. Then you can also check out Fredonia Mountain out of Dunlap too. Nice lake up there as well and very affordable homes.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbababy View Post
Can not find much info on Soddy Daisy, but did get nice tips on initial reply. I have read that Dayton is a nice friendly small town to live in - anyone have an opinion? Is Dayton cheaper to live than Soddy Daisy? I just turned 50 and am looking to finally settle down. I enjoy kayaking, boating, and walking/running my dogs and taking them to dog sled pulls. Good churches and nice downtown areas also important.
Dayton is a bit cheaper. Both places are nice. Soddy doesn't have a downtown area, where Dayton does.Soddy seems to be growing pretty rapidly. Don't know if that affects your decision. I think either place would do. Best thing to do is just visit both area. Dayton is just north of SD. OH..and check out the crime, race, housing... statistics on this site. Google each city and get as much info as you can.It may help if you can read their paper online too =]

Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

104 posts, read 293,640 times
P.S. I saw your ad~my husband and i are looking at relocating to Soddy Daisy/Chattanooga in the next few years, i cannot wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga