Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

I thought about the conversion, didn't know if they were still on the market or not. The other thought, would it be prudent to put duals on a lighter rear end? If it is a toy or just there for the "cool" factor, the adaptors are another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,423,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Maybe were all over thinking this?

He couldn't just get some adapters and add he wheels ?
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Yu
For those of you that want the dually look on a truck you already own, then consider a dually wheel conversion kit manufactured by Arrowcraft. Depending on the truck, most Arrowcraft Dually Conversion Kits will run you about $2000.00. Arrowcraft dually body conversion kits or dually kits consist of 2 rear dually fenders, rear adapters, front wheel adapters, 4 Alcoa Aluminum Rims, and 2 steels rims, caps and lugs. However, you could save money by shopping around for the adapters, Alcoa custom wheels and steel dually rims. Other cost involved would be the dually tires, paint and the cost to extend the gas filler neck. http://www.customduallytruckaccessories.com/dually-wheel-conversion.html

So it's that simple with this kit?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I thought about the conversion, didn't know if they were still on the market or not. The other thought, would it be prudent to put duals on a lighter rear end? If it is a toy or just there for the "cool" factor, the adaptors are another option.
So the adaptor is the best and simple option since me Suburban is a half-ton(1500)?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
I too wonder... Why? duallys are only useful if you actually have a seriously heavy trailer or equipment to haul. My Dad had a commercial truck with duallys and they are a big pain in the ass to deal with because you suddenly have four rear tires and one set is not exactly easy to get with. Plus in my opinion on a regular truck it simply looks sort of dumb anyway.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Didn't know is was a 1/2 ton.
Do you want it to he functional or for looks?
If for looks or the "cool" factor the kit is the easiest.

the adapters don't look to be 5 lug to 8 lug..
so it looks like they are for the 3/4 ton.

It would or could be an option for 3/4 or 2500.

No mater how much you modify it, it will always be a 1/2 ton.

so at the cost of modifying it for a gain of "O" in capacity, your better off selling it and getting a 1ton vehicle.

A 87 3/4 burban converted to 1ton dually w/454, th400, 4.10 gears

Last edited by snofarmer; 04-05-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

so at the cost of modifying it for a gain of "O" in capacity, your better off selling it and getting a 1ton vehicle.
Just for the looks, nothing else.

I like it to be similair to the Suburban that was on the 1996 movie Twister.

I wonder if that Suburban had also used a kit even though it was a 3/4 ton.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Well, I want it badly to happen but I am patient at the same time.

I want to know how much the parts will be and the labor cost.
That's cool - admitting that you just want it because you want it. To each his own. Seriously...

Here are the serious "problems" you're going to be facing.

1. If you're going to replace the axle, the rear differential alone is going to cost you upwards of $500. If your Burbun in a 4x4, you'll need to replace both front and rear axles to insure that it's a match set. And you better pick up both driveshafts from the donor vehicle. You're immediately looking at (very likely) upwards of $1,000 in parts.

2. The cost of the rims & tires depends entirely on where and how you get them. If you're really really lucky, and find a set on Craigslist for $300-400, you better jump on it. Also note that you'll want to put matching rims on the front. Add more for that. I could see you easily having $750 in the rims & tires alone.

3. Your dually fenders are going to go further forward on the body than the back of the back doors. So unless your Burbun is a 2-door, you've got some SERIOUS head-scratching ahead of you on that one. Honestly, I have no idea what the solution to that dilemma might be.

That's the main stuff. As with any DIY type project, you're looking at lots and lots of little glitches - all of which cost money. I could easily see you sticking $2,000 - $2,500 worth of parts in this project. As far as labor, who knows? It's one thing of you're going to do 100% of the work yourself. Beyond that, I have no idea where you could even find somebody to HIRE to do this.

Just my thoughts...

Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM

@Garagelogic

Well acrually, my Suburban is a half-ton 2 wheel drive.

Amd I'm thining if either getting a kit just for looks, while on the other hand I'm thinking not just for look but also tow capacity just in case I will tow something a little larger.

But what do you think?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

the adapters don't look to be 5 lug to 8 lug..
so it looks like they are for the 3/4 ton.

A 87 3/4 burban converted to 1ton dually w/454, th400, 4.10 gears
Does this Suburban haz the kit or full conversion?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
I don't know, it's not my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Does this Suburban haz the kit or full conversion?
The rub,
You can convert your rig if you wish.
No mater what you throw at it, it will always be a 1/2 ton in the eyes of the law.

So, now you start to useing it like it was a 1 ton and you get into a serious accident.
When the accident investigator realizes it's a 1/2 ton the liability most likely will be all on you.

If your set on it, just remember, it's just for looks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC