Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 PM

251 posts, read 236,856 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I have a 2001 Monte Carlo LS and in about a month it will hit 40,000 miles. I have had the car several years and it has really been almost a trouble free car!! I follow the maintenance very carefully and am sure to keep the car in top shape. I just wonder if not driving it alot is harmful?? I am careful not to let it sit for more than 7 days without getting it out for a minimum drive of no less than 10 to 20 miles. I am lucky enough to live 2 miles from the freeway and I take the car for at least 8 miles or more to get the car up to 70 mph. I also use the a/c ( which is cold as ice!) and I also am sure to use the power items mirrors, seats, sunroof and windows so that they will remain working. Usually about 5 times a year I visit friends that live 90 miles away so on those occasions the car gets a good work out. I average about 2200 mi a year of usage.

To my amazement I have had virtually no problems for almost 2 years. I also change the Oil every 9 months I am careful to check it often and I rarely ever have to add oil in between oil changes.

I did however have the notorious intake gaskets go bad both the upper and lower ones.... Other than that and a new set of Goodyear Assurance tires and battery every 2 years as a precaution I really have had no issues at all and the car starts right up ( always does)

I hope the car lasts many more years, its comfortable, relaible extremeny clean inside and out and the cost of a new car is many thousands I do not want to even think of spending...

are there folks here that have a low mileage vehicle and have good luck?? Living here in Florida may have something to do with the condition of the car? its garaged, and never seen snow ever! and rarely ever gets caught in a rain storm. I also wax it 2 x a year and have the interior shampooed yearly.

Just cant find a nicer car and I always get asked when a kid sees it to sell it..... mostly from these kids that wear their pants below their knees ..........
Attached Thumbnails
01 Monte carlo  change the oil or not??  reliability and  low mileage-car-ad.jpg   01 Monte carlo  change the oil or not??  reliability and  low mileage-car-inside-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
I have a 1989 Lincoln LSC that has a grand total of 35,000 miles on it. It rarely sees the sunlight as it's a garage queen and even at that it's under a car cover. Like yours it's like a new one. Even smells new. In regards to the oil change, assuming you live in Florida and you don't see cold start ups any where near minus 25F, I'd look hard at the oil specs. While I don't know the exacts of the specs for the 2001 3.4 engine, it most likely is a 5w-30 SL rated oil. The SL is no longer available with the difference being in the maximum amount of certain additives in the formulation. While at a reduced amount on the ZDDP, it has been replaced with other additives like the borons, molys, and a host of others. But I would suggest since you don't have the cold start ups of -25F or even near that, to use a 10w-30 oil instead. The difference being the 10w-30 oils in most cases have half of the NOACK of the 5w-30 oils. NOACK is the oil under operating temps evaporating and this can cause issues with a low mileage engine, primarily sludge. The start up viscosity is going to be the same, the 10w-30s are just not speced to go lower than -25F but most will compete in the real world with the 5w-30 oils. I would also suggest using only a blended oil avoiding any synthetic based oil. Synthetics of today will be the Gp III variety and they do not want to naturally stick to the parts. A tackifier is used to make it stick to the parts such as a copolymer of ethylene and propylene but they can only do so much when it's days or weeks between start ups. The lowest NOACK rated oil out there today is Pennzoil yellow bottle 10w-30. It's also a high detergent oil to keep things clean and has the naturally occurring fats required to keep the seals supple. Something a synthetic doesn't have naturally and a seal swell additive is used. If you have the want, you can research the oil you are using against others at the PQIA website. Look at the volatility rating ASTM D 5800 (NOACK). Lower number is better.
Pennzoil SAE 10W-30 API SN/ILSAC GF-5
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC