Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Hey All...

A family that is one of my family's friends has a daughter who is looking for a late-model, reliable, basic car. She recently graduated from college, and doesn't have a lot of money (gee, big surprise). Her current car - a '95 Camry - has been giving her fits lately.

So they asked me to go on a car hunt for them. Specifically, there is an Auto Auction coming up in a couple weeks, here in Omaha. I've looked over the auction website, listing the cars they have up for sale.

At this point, I'm thinking that her best choice might be between a Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala and Dodge Stratus. There are several models of each of these cars, and they range in age from 2004 - 2007.

All the Malibus have the 4-cylinder engine, and the Impalas and Stratuses have V-6 engines.

Based on book price, and what they'll likely be able to be bought for, I'm kind of leaning toward a Malibu.

So... Your thoughts? Experiences? Aye or Nay on any of these specific vehicles?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
I am pretty impressed with the Impalas. Of those 3 options that would clearly be my choice.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I'd go Impala also... bigger car than the other two.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
I 3rd the Impala. Safe car.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the answers guys.

What's weird is that I've got a buddy who has an 08 Impala, and doesn't like it at all. He says that for the size of the car, it doesn't really have much interior room - and he's disappointed to only be getting about 20-22 combined mpg out of the thing.

Anywhooo...

Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Hey - if this is a GSA auction, get the Impala.

Here's my logic. In the GSA fleet, the Impala was used (at least in my experience) as a higher-end car.

For example, recruiters drive the Malibu, Contour, Starus, Alero, etc. I'd only see the Impala at larger military or federal units. I wouldn't want a former recruiter car, lol.

Anyway, just my thoughts, if this is a GSA deal.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
I'd only buy at a GSA auction. Otherwise, you're taking a big chance of buying a car that a dealer sold at auction to avoid liability from selling it off their lot. My impression of the Stratus is the motors are a little fragile--any Mopar dealer techs here? If you're going for mileage, the 4 cyl in the Malibu is obviously the choice (and the reason why mileage is poorer on the Impala, as well as more expensive maintenance).

Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
What, exactly is going on with the Camry? It may make more sense to find a shop capbable of fixing what's wrong with it.

There are several good posts about the Stratus, it's a good car but needs to have the correct lubricants used in engine, tranny, and final drive or it won't last, IIRC specific engine coolant too.

Of the 3 cars listed, offhand I would pick the Malibu, smaller, more economical than the Impala, although both are actually pretty good cars judging from rentals I have driven.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What, exactly is going on with the Camry? It may make more sense to find a shop capbable of fixing what's wrong with it.

There are several good posts about the Stratus, it's a good car but needs to have the correct lubricants used in engine, tranny, and final drive or it won't last, IIRC specific engine coolant too.

Of the 3 cars listed, offhand I would pick the Malibu, smaller, more economical than the Impala, although both are actually pretty good cars judging from rentals I have driven.
I asked the same question about the Camry, because to my way of thinking, a 14-year old Camry is not a bad car. The girl's mom said that, on several occasions, the car has simply refused to start. They then take it to a shop and it starts perfectly every time.

I have not personally looked at, or messed with, the Camry - so I am unable to say (for instance) that it turns over but doesn't start, or the starter clicks, etc.

I suspect the glitches in the Camry are minor, but the girl is spooked. Plus, her job requires here to travel to and from multiple places every day, and she feels very insecure about this car.

To be honest with you all, I'm leaning toward the Malibu for this gal. She's kind of a little twerp, so a bigger car is of no consequence to her. Also, the economy of the 4-bopper would be a bonus. Plus, as her mom says, she has "spacial recognition issues". I think y'all know what that means! Anywhooo... the smaller Malibu is where I'm leaning.

Thanks a LOT for all your opinions! Anybody else want to chime in?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Malibu. Not terribly attractive, but a solid car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC