Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 PM

64 posts, read 167,318 times

Advertisements

i'm looking for ideas on what suburbs of Chicago have historic downtown areas with restaurants & shopping as well as historic, but updated homes. all this and good schools too??

thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Well, most suburbs have "updated homes" these days... I'm not sure what you mean my "updated". But there is another thread disucssing suburbs with vibrant downtown areas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-how-many.html

My favorite suburban downtowns (in no particular order) are in the following towns:

Evanston
Oak Park
La Grange
Hinsdale
Downers Grove
Naperville
Arlington Heights
Wilmette
Winnetka
Highland Park
Park Ridge
Elmhurst
Forest Park
Flossmoor
Geneva
Wheaton
St. Charles
Glen Elyn
Woodstock

I admit, I am less familiar with the south suburbs, so that's why they are not represented well on my list.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,552 times
If you want to live in a newer home, suburban-ish feel with good schools and also a good downtown area, four places come to mind instantly....

Arlington Heights
Elmhurst
Downers Grove
Glenview

Deerfield, Des Plaines, Highland Park, and Libertyville also fit this bill, but I personally think the four mentioned above are better.

If you need a place with bigger homes and more of a country feel, Geneva, St. Charles and Barrington come to mind.

If you want more of an urban feel, and don't mind a smaller house, I'd recommend Evanston, Park Ridge, Winnetka and LaGrange (Berwyn and Oak Lawn would be on the list if you did not mention schools).

Naperville and Aurora also have downtowns, but theirs are MASSIVE, and feel like a mini-city. The other downtowns I mentioned feel much more like suburban downtowns.

Also not knowing south subrubs as well, the only place there that comes to mind is Tinley Park, and, if train commuting is not necessary, Lansing.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
You could add Lemont, parts of Aurora, Batavia, Western Springs, Barrington, Libertyville and maybe a couple of others to LK's nice list...

Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
I just listed my favs (downtowns, not suburbs). It's certainly not an exhaustive list.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 PM

179 posts, read 486,294 times
In the south suburbs, consider Frankfort, IL. Beautiful town with good schools, parks, shopping in town and close by also, metro services, new hospital easily reached, and more. Off of I-80, close to I-355, I-57, Rte. 45, and Rte. 30. Give it a look and visit soon ...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Geneva
St. Charles
Wheaton
Barrington
Evanston
Naperville
La Grange
Hinsdale
Oak Park
Glen Ellyn

Those are some of my personal faves.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
The lists provided are good. Wheaton is a good one. Historic feel to small but nice downtown and many varieties of home. You can get an old historical home in Wheaton or a modern mini mansion if that suits your taste. Or one in between. Great schools, shopping and transportation.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Isn't the historic old core of Orland Park fitting the bill?

And while it has received a heavy, heavy dose of "quaint", Long Grove's historic village still has a number of original 19th century buildings in the mix of faux 19th century buildings.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
If you were to generalize, I would say that the west-southwest suburbs as well as the north shore are the best in terms of historic downtowns.

Just about all the suburban towns along the BNSF metra line (Riverside, Brookfield, La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Downers Grove, Naperville) all have great downtowns. Same goes for the UP-W line, although "great downtowns" IMO mostly to (Oak Park (obviously), Elmhurst, Lombard (I think), Glen Ellyn, and Wheaton.

There are fewer train lines running through the NW suburbs, and until O'Hare was built, many of the communities were very tiny and rural, consequently these NW suburbs have zilch, nothing, nada as far as historic downtowns (Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Hoffman Estates, Streamwood, Carol Stream, Rolling Meadows, Buffalo Grove).

The ones that do lie along the UP-NW (Arlington Hts, Des Plaines, Barrington, and Palatine) have alright historic downtowns, but IMO are more "teardown" and not as great as West suburban downtowns.

Long Grove, like edsg25 mentioned is very charming and quaint and has many buildings that are original it really is not a functioning downtown so much. Its very boutique/antique oriented. Kind of like a sanitized, Chicago suburban version of colonial Williamsburg.

All the north shore suburbs that are on the lakefront, whereas the ones inland (Northbrook, Glenview, and Deerfield) do have downtowns, but they are very small).

All the towns along the Fox River have very historic downtowns as well as the lower Des Plaines river, (Lemont and Lockport). I'm very partial to Lemont, because its the only suburb where the town itself lies basically on a steep hillside. It feels the most like Galena, IL or some small town in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs