Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 17,874 times

Advertisements

We're hoping to get some frank and honest High School information about Evanston vs Niles W vs Niles N.

We are a "W.A.S.P." single income family with an 8th grader in Evanston school district slated for ETHS next year. Our child is slightly above average in grades, and we don't know if our child would make it into the Honors classes at ETHS. We've heard (and seen) some nasty stuff about ETHS and the neglectful treatment of students if one isn't in honors classes, not to mention the racial division issues there, and we want to look into moving slightly west for Niles Township schools. We've had both bad and good experiences in Evanston School Districts, and although we are ready for High School, I've read that ETHS doesn't keep up the academic standards earned while in middle school for a majority of the students (non honors).

We have no problem moving if it will get our child into a better high school - but it must be within 30 minute driving distance to Evanston as that is where the job is and gas is expensive. We wouldn't fit into New Trier or that area so North is out (besides, we aren't "Yuppified" or whatever that's called these days LOL). I've seen the school stats and scores, and I know that the "school district report cards" doesn't always reflect the real school issues.

I'm making another post about neighborhood info on the towns themselves if not covered in other posts.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 8,131 times
Before you begin looking at leaving Evanston because of the high school, I would spend more time talking with parents of kids who've been to ETHS. You may not be getting the clearest picture. ETHS has a Facebook page for parents and also a parent Yahoo Group - you should join and ask your questions there.You say your child is above above average in grades but you don't know if he/she would make it in Honors classes in ETHS. Why not? Do you know that ETHS is trying to get MORE kids to take classes for honors credit?

Also, are you really moving just for the high school for your child? Do you really think the high school will make that much of a difference in his/her future? It is only 4 years out of 12 years of education - were you so happy in D65 that you weren't willing to make the move earlier? I suggest that you consider whether you will be happy in the community that you move to and that you don't move merely for the high school.

In my experience ETHS is an excellent experience for most kids. Some departments are weaker than others - English is the worst, Math and Science the best. Many excellent extracurricular activities and a lot of energy spent on making sure kids do the best they can. I wouldn't make a decision to move until you see how your child places on the EXPLORE test and I'd talk to administrators and other parents at ETHS before you move.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM

109 posts, read 353,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtmuzic View Post
We're hoping to get some frank and honest High School information about Evanston vs Niles W vs Niles N.

We are a "W.A.S.P." single income family with an 8th grader in Evanston school district slated for ETHS next year. Our child is slightly above average in grades, and we don't know if our child would make it into the Honors classes at ETHS. We've heard (and seen) some nasty stuff about ETHS and the neglectful treatment of students if one isn't in honors classes, not to mention the racial division issues there, and we want to look into moving slightly west for Niles Township schools. We've had both bad and good experiences in Evanston School Districts, and although we are ready for High School, I've read that ETHS doesn't keep up the academic standards earned while in middle school for a majority of the students (non honors).

We have no problem moving if it will get our child into a better high school - but it must be within 30 minute driving distance to Evanston as that is where the job is and gas is expensive. We wouldn't fit into New Trier or that area so North is out (besides, we aren't "Yuppified" or whatever that's called these days LOL). I've seen the school stats and scores, and I know that the "school district report cards" doesn't always reflect the real school issues.

I'm making another post about neighborhood info on the towns themselves if not covered in other posts.

Thanks!!

I don’t know anything about comparing the Niles high schools to ETHS but just wanted to address the portion of your post that I bolded.

Have you been following the series of articles that the Roundtable has published on achievement of D65 and D202 students? The third in that series addresses the allegations made by D65 administrators that they send high-achieving 8th graders to ETHS/District 202 and that those prepared students begin lagging in high school.

According to a study done by the Urban School Leadership at UIC, this is a statewide phenomenon and is due to the “misalignment” between the ISATs and the PSAEs. According to the research, the ISATs use a much lower benchmark for meeting standards than does the PSAEs and this accounts for what appears to be discrepancies in student achievement from middle school to high school.

Here’s a link to all three articles if you’re interested. But, as I mentioned, the third one at least partially addresses some of your concerns.

Schools - Evanston RoundTable - Evanston, IL

Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Honestly, I don't think it would make all that much of a difference. Niles West and North are statistically about the same as Evanston. The achievement gap between native born whites at Niles North and West and minorities is probably just as shocking as it is at Evanston, something I've experienced first hand myself.

As a graduate from West, I can tell you your child will have no problem getting into the honors classes, but s/he may have trouble staying in them. They are challenging, especially at the Freshman level.

If you're seriously considering leaving ETHS, I'd say Niles West. It's a MUCH nicer school than North, and the scores are almost identical. Enrollment is about the same at all three school, between 2,400 and 3,000, not that it really makes a huge difference.

People here may try to push Maine South or New Trier on you, but honestly, you'll be more than fine at West or North, but choose West .

West is best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs