Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM

22 posts, read 90,421 times

Advertisements

We are trying to move to the suburbs and looking for some good private schools in the Schaumburg/Palatine area for my kid. He would go to Kindergarten this fall. If there are any good apartments which we can rent, let me know. We looked at Lincoln meadows/Village green/Versallis on the Lake already..
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Why? The Schaumburg Schools are terrific. My kids went there, graduated there, went on to get college degrees and are now professionals. Can't understand why you wouldn't want your little one to experience all the great stuff in the public school system.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
I almost put my son in a private school, because I am unhappy with the "Everyday Math" program in the Schaumburg school system. I ended up not putting him in due to a divorce and will probably be relocating at some point. I opted for "afterschooling" my son in the subjects that I felt were not covered adequately including math and history.

I toured both Schaumburg Christian School and St Peter Lutheran School. After I toured SCS, I decided against it, very Baptist and very intrusive (kids are not allowed to listen to rock music at home!!!). I much preferred the attitude of SPLS. He had mentioned that the 8th graders have a dance, he allowed them to pick the music, because he said that the kids can pick their own music within reason. I preferred this attitude of learning through guidance rather than rules which don't allow the children to reason on their own.

I didn't tour the St. Huberts in Hoffman, but I preferred the Harcourt 2002 Math rather than their math program (forgot what it was).

If your child is "gifted", Quest in Palatine is excellent but pricey. I had a teacher friend who observed the classes a few times there while in his college work at school a few years back.

Here is the thread where a lot of this was discussed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-lutheran.html

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks very much for the response...My kid currently goes to Montessori (full day) and he got a pretty good score in the Gifted test he took in the CPS system. I am skeptical about the change he might see from Montessori to Public school. In addition to that, we've been living in the city for the past 5 yrs and moving to suburbs is an additional change to him. So, I want to take things slowly on him.
I went thru the Quest Academy website and I believe they need a different test to be taken to get into that school.

Thanks very much for sharing the private schools info (SCS, St Huberts, St Peter Lutheran). I've seen a Montessori school of Hoffman Estates. Any reviews on that school?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Don't know anything about the Montessori School, nor anyone who attends there. I know St Peter had a gifted program but it cost a little more. You would have to call them to find out the details.

The Schaumburg Schools do offer gifted programs but I've known a few parents who weren't happy with them. THe funny thing about the 12 or so elementary schools in the Schaumburg school district is that each one of them is run differently (although the curriculum is the same). There are different requirements and lesson plans depending on both the teacher and the principal.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I have a friend whose son attends the Science and Arts Academy in Des Plaines. It's a school for gifted children and is a little pricey, although not out of line with other private schools. She's been very pleased overall with the school (and she's extremely involved in it). Her son started there after having attended a Montessori preschool as well and had no problem adjusting.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info...Regd the price, the private schools like Schaumburg Christian School/St Peter/St Hubert costs abt 8-10K including after school care. But Quest/Science and Arts school costs abt 18K...So, there is a huge diff in the cost.
I called up Quest and my kid need to take an IQ test to be eligible.
Also, I observed all the schools close at 6pm. I typically come out of my work at 5.30 - 6 and it would take 30 mins from my work place to these schools...I am really not sure how I can manage
On the other hand, I am planning to move to an apt where the neighborhood school is "Adolph Link". The after school program is in Campanelli and they have it until 6. Any reviews on this? I heard that Kinder Care can keep kids until 6.30...I am so confused!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM

My son attends Campanelli and always wanted to go to the afterschool program because they play outside with other kids. I'm not sure what else they do but it's probably better than kindercare. How old is your child? You could probably make a deal with another parent to pick up your kid or find a "responsible" college kid to pick up your kid from Link and pay them instead.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM

He is 5...Will be going to Kindergarten this fall. Any idea what working parents do in the schaumburg area? All the schools close at 6!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Unfortunately, everything is geared toward the 9-5 parent. I work in a hospital so I understand your dilemna. I still think your best and possible cheapest option is to have someone pick him up from Link and either take him to your house or theirs. I believe most of the schools in the suburbs aren't open past 6.

I know Care.com has a list of babysitters and many of them have background checks. I know the Schaumburg Library has a booklet of daycare , and if I remember, there were some places open past 6, although this is a more expensive option. You could probably call the library and see if they can mail you a copy, 847-985-4000. The cheapest option might be to find someone in your apartment building who could watch your son. I would look for someone else with kids or a retired person. That way, the bus can drop him off at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs