Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM

223 posts, read 662,563 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Oak Park and very much like its proximity to the Loop, diversity, and what I would call a general lack of conspicuous consumption. I'm less thrilled, however, with the restaurant scene and shopping (think the downtown isn't all that and Oak Brook or Michigan Avenue or Lincoln Park aren't that close ), not to mention what I think is a need for some beautification efforts around town (e.g., better planning with nicer streetlights and so on) and more effort by the city to attract merchants here (many shuttered and for lease buildings sitting vacant).

I also think I'd just like something more suburban -- buildings with bigger setbacks from the street, a little more space, etc. So, I'm curious if anyone else has moved from Oak Park to a western suburb further out (i.e., basically anything west of here). If so, how have you found it by comparison? Thanks!

Last edited by Doglover5; 08-11-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I worked in Oak Park for many years so I'm pretty familiar with it. It's a pretty unique community with many attributes that you just won't find in other towns. If you are willing to give that up, I would suggest looking into LaGrange, Western Springs, or Hinsdale. Western Springs tends to be a little bit sleepier of a town, but Hinsdale and LaGrange both have vibrant main street shopping corridors. All three have a more suburban feel to them than Oak Park. None of them have a whole lot of diversity, however.

Judging from your username I am assuming that you have dog(s). I can say without a doubt that Western Springs is VERY dog friendly. I suggest taking a ride through each of the towns to get a feel for them. They're all similar, but have a slightly different feel to them. They are all also right along the BNSF so trips to the city are very easy.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I had to laugh about the "lack of conspicuous consumption" part...

Decades ago I knew DOZENS of families that moved from Oak Park and River Forest to places like Oak Brook, I am sure that effected the ratios of conspicuous consumptions markedly in both the leaving and arriving towns...

I know folks that more recently have moved to Elmhurst from Oak Park for reasons similar to the OP's, as well as towns that whatyousay mentioned. I also know some folks in Hinsdale that cam from Oak Park and I have to say that in a general sense the conspicuousness of towns is rather subjective -- plenty of Jeep or Ford driving folks in Hinsdale with jeans / workout clothes to water down the handful of more outwardly noticeable displays of spending...

As to vacant buildings in the commercial districts, well welcome to the uncertainty created by threats of changes in taxes and the wipe out of consumer demand, that is nationwide phenomena and will only change when people's hope in the honesty and forward thinking of policies are restored...

Diversity wise the only town that comes close to Oak Park is Evanston, or comparing city neighborhoods you could include Hyde Park, though in all those areas you still see lots of economic stratification...

If you go way out to Geneva or a similar area along the Fox River you many actually get a bit more eating and shopping establishments, though you are also in a significantly different commute range.

Compromise is the name of real estate!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. We're also looking at Naperville, which, while not as classically pretty as some of the towns mentioned upthread (at least not in my view), does seem to offer a mix of good eats, shopping, and so on.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Not that Naperville needs my defense...

...but with it's large geographic size, population of well into the six digits, and really prolonged development phases that started over a century ago and still is continuing I think you have to give credit where credit is due.

The historic distict that lies adjacent to the core of downtown lacks the FLW influence that is present in OP, but there are some really really attractive blocks that will hold there own against pretty much any other town. Unfortunately the price and and lack of common knowledge of them means that you rarely meet someone that appreciates what gems do lie out that way, and if some one's primary encounter of Naperville is the Rt 59 corridor it does not register with the thought of a Queen Anne mansion...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Agreed-- at the end of the day, I'm ready to give up Queen Anne mansions for some better in-town and next-to-town amenities!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Naperville's downtown is really quite extensive, and there are certainly some beautiful traditional tree-lined blocks with older homes nearby. And the express train schedule to the Loop makes it a feasible commute for many. But how reliant do you really want to be on the train? La Grange is half the distance, and certainly offers a better drive dowtown if you ever need to mix it up. 88 to 290 can be a killer.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM

Fair point... I actually think it's safe to say that my husband and I need a feeling of "stuff going on," and while the more crowded nature of Naperville is a turn-off in some respects, I also think that there's naturally a lot more "stuff" in terms of restaurants, shops, and activities. Just talking out loud here, but I think part of it is that we aren't totally into the suburbs but know it's the right place to be for our family -- and we don't want to live in the city -- so I think the potential allure of Naperville is that it's a big town of sorts -- not the city and not a typical suburb. That said, the jury is still out on our decision, which is why all of the above-mentioned places are on the list to consider and why all the various points and counterpoints from this board are so appreciated!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 126,582 times
My wife and rented in Oak Park. From there we ventured out west to Clarendon Hills. Though we don't live in one of the huge Clarendon Hills houses we are just a block away form houses in the $1,000,000 range. Additionally I can walk to the metra and will be in close proximity to parks and recreation when we take the dive into parenthood!

I work in the south loop and would take the green line to the Thompson center and then take the blue line to Clinton. My commute on the Metra is actually quicker then when I lived in Oak Park and used the CTA.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
We almost relocated recently further west from Oak Park to River Forest, but in the end decided to stay in Oak Park. Among other incoveniences, I would have had to change my CD handle to riverforestdude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs