Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaru View Post
Look at this article way back from 2001

UF scientists say global warming could spread mosquito

Possible?
Absolutely.

Here's a more recent article.
Global Warming May Lead to More West Nile Virus: Scientific American

The recent migration/success of insects and related diseases in areas where they historically got wiped out over the winter is something I'm surprised more people don't associate with climate change.

I'm a gardener and the sustained increase in certain pests that didn't used to be a problem is very noticeable to me-- I look them up to see what the deal is and usually find that the larva overwinter in the soil. If it's cold enough, they die. If not, they spread. So they spread. Year after year.

Obviously, increased rainfall and heat is a factor for some species like mosquitoes.

The problem is, the climate is shifting, so there's no way to predict which way the long term trend is heading. Many of my recent "off season" vacations to far-flung locales have featured unusually nice weather when it should've been rainy. One local in Belize summed it up this way, "There is no longer any 'normal for this time of year.'"

Whoever named it "Global Warming" should be tarred and feathered. That, more than anything, has led to public confusion and skepticism. "Global Climate Decay" would've made the situation much easier to grasp.

Cue the naysayers. Smoking doesn't cause cancer-- the science is junk. DDT is safe-- the author of "Silent Spring" is hysterical. The sun revolves around the earth-- put that nut Galileo in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Its horrible. I am alergic and have ten bites on my forearms and hands and don't even dare go outside. I think I got them getting my mail at the mail box, in my car, the house and the train. They are so numerous they are even in the trains now going downtown. I have off wipes but don't use them everyday. Also spray your yard with yard guard which you can buy at the hardware store.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I am allergic to skin so soft. I think they cannot keep up with the spraying even because it takes like 7 days for the larvae to incubate into a new batch. They would have to spray every week I am thinking. The only time worse I have experienced was up by Lake Superior. Black flies AND huge mosquitoes. Black flies are far worse.

On the flip side, I have never seen so numerous and large dragonflies (they eat mosquito larvae I heard) so they are beneficial.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Where I live, we dont normally have any mosquitos, believe it or not. Until this year. Ive had a few bites, but nothing major. But when I go hiking, theyre all over. I just stay away from the forests and it seems to be ok.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
What's weird to me this year-- aside from the sheer number of mosquitos-- is that they keep going at my EYES. That's an unpleasant first.

Anyone else having that happen?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 AM

34 posts, read 191,686 times
Clarke Mosquito Abatement has a larvacide they spread in wetlands, forested areas. It's non -toxic to humans and animals. It's diminshed our population a lot every summer. Call them next May/June to get pricing on the treatment.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
About the eyes... yeah, I have gotten bites on my eyelids, and under eyes. Looks real pretty... I am thinking that is the only place that is not covered or does not have deet applied. They go up underneath my glasses where I can't swat at them. I will be GLAD to see a frost this year.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,535 times
My dog got eaten up so bad I had to take her to the vet for antibiotics (she was biting the area raw from itching)! How do I protect my dogs without spraying them with chemicals?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 AM

179 posts, read 486,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is only our third summer here, but I thought this year was worse than before.

Extra buzz over pesky mosquitoes in Chicago area - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/extra-buzz-over-pesky-mosquitoes-in-chicago-area.html - broken link)

I used to just get bitten if I went outside after dusk, but it's all the time now. The kids and I walked a few blocks to their school for registration last week, and I have bites all over my arms. My husband and I have stopped going for our walks and bike rides because of the mosquitos--using Off doesn't seem to help a lot. Does anyone have a different recommendation? Maybe I should burn a citronella candle when I go outside to BBQ, also.

Do you have a mosquito problem where you live?
I read that mosquito stats are up 800% this year .. and I can believe it. I also read that we better get used to it, should we be in a global warming mode. Mosquitoes will be worse, as will the spreading and viciousness of poison ivy/poison sumac/poison oak. Conditions will be perfect for it. I say that alone is good enough reason to act ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs