Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:25 PM

69 posts, read 215,059 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure that NASA ( Northwestern Athletic Swim Assoc) swim club has a Masters group. You should be able to find ALL the swim clubs in Illinois, and therefore any Masters groups if you go on the USA swim club web site...my daughter used to swim.
I am an older single....if I were you, I would avoid any suburbs except for Evanston!! Also, I have noticed that the far western burbs ( which would be too inconvenient for your job) seem to have more activities...outdoors, all kinds.
The North Shore ( where I am ) only has Jewish or Catholic groups....and I can tell you that the Chicago area, unlike many other places I have lived, seems to have many, many people who grew up here, have family and friends here....are not motivated to meet new people. This is less true in Evanston ( due to Northwestern) and Chicago.
I hope to leave here as soon as my kids are grown, but if I were younger, I would head to the city.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
[quote=chicagomom2;.
The North Shore ( where I am ) only has Jewish or Catholic groups....and I can tell you that the Chicago area, unlike many other places I have lived, seems to have many, many people who grew up here, have family and friends here....are not motivated to meet new people. This is less true in Evanston ( due to Northwestern) and Chicago.
I hope to leave here as soon as my kids are grown, but if I were younger, I would head to the city.....[/QUOTE]
I do not agree with these statements,I hope no one takes them as "Fact" nor discouragement.Its a friendly,open place if you are friendly and open and the north shore has several clubs,,,besides for Catholics and Jews

Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Please do tell me what these other singles groups are, as I would LOVE to know!!!
If by clubs, you are referring to North Shore country clubs, I am aware of those, Michigan Shores, Old Willow, to name a few.

The only singles groups which are listed in the weekly Pioneer Press newspapers are listed as Jewish and Catholic singles groups.

Are you also single?? Have you had good experiences? If so, please share!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 47,628 times
I have heard much about Evanston. Is this a pretty large college town where the young people are mostly studying and partying? Or are there older, 25-30 somethings as well that are not in school? I like the way that Evanston sounds and how people seem to really recommend checking it out- is this a place that non-college people can live without worrying about only meeting 19-21 year olds?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Evanston

Evanston is absolutely not just for college students...and as I mentioned, Northwestern does have Masters swimming, and an awesome pool. Lots of cool places to eat in Evanston, neat little shops, etc. My family spends a lot of time there....and we see mainly people in their 20's and 30's. There are several business districts, also some rougher ( crime- wise ) areas. A near farmers market in the summer.
There is another thread on here about Evanston.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Anyone that says a single 25 year old person should live in the suburbs is LYING to you! Find a job closer to the city. You'll die of boredom if you live in the suburbs. Wait till you meet the right person and start a family to move out there.
I recommend the following neighborhoods. Some of these neighborhoods are quite expensive however if you are willing to look very hard through the Chicago Reader and the internet for either a cheap place or roommates, you can swing it.

Lincoln Park: The ultimate in gentrification
Wicker Park: Lincoln Park lite with starving artists
Humboldt Park: Horrible reputation/East side is getting nicer and it is close to everything
Bucktown: Bargains are to be found
Uptown: Even more bargains, but some areas are dicey
South Loop: Very underrated
West Side (California and East): Some of the best bargains in the city

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Anyone that says a single 25 year old person should live in the suburbs is LYING to you! Find a job closer to the city. You'll die of boredom if you live in the suburbs.

Die of boredom living in the burbs?
Then many of the 20somethings I know did not get that memo.

I you have a job in Gurnee then I suggest trying to find a place to live
close to your job. The commute from the city is going to be a pain and only gets worse
in bad weather.

The other advantage of a north burb is that you will be halfway to Milwaukee.
And on your way to Milwaukee, you can stop at Lake Geneva first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs