Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 10,305 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 23 year old male, searching for an apartment in Evanston. I am looking for the following

1. Close to the METRA, I want to be able to get to the city easily
2. A garage would be nice, but defiantly a parking spot
3. Central heating/cooling
4. Laundry in building
5. Allows grills (Charcoal preferably)
6. Easy access to the highway aka not ON campus
7. $800 or less a month
8. Balcony preferably
9. Newer appliances

Any suggestions on nicer apartments complexes/town houses/condo etc, by name. I am open to a house as well, but need to find roommates. I am on very quick schedule, looking for apartments this week, have to move in on the 1st, start my new job on the 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Somehow, I don't think you are going to find anything for $800 or less. Also, what do you mean by easy access to the highway. You can't actually be close to the metra *and* have easy access to the highway, unless you mean lakeshore drive.

I am not sure you will find anyplace that allows grills except on your balcony if you happen to have one.

Most of these are around $1000 to $1200.

Search Apartments for Rent, Condos and Rental Homes | MyNewPlace

Some of these are in your price range. No idea about parking though.

Rent.com: Search Results

Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Sorry Nana, growing up in Ann Arbor has spoiled me. I don't know the lay of land at all in Evanston. How about names of some places near the Metra...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ain't gonna happen.

Pretty much this. And the parts of Evanston that may be that cheap kind of suck. (The SW part.)

Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 PM

62 posts, read 224,790 times
Ideally, you would come to check out the areas near Metra stations. The stations in Evanston are at Main Street, Davis Street, and Central Street. I'm most familiar with the area near the Main street station, which is the southernmost of the 3. There are many attractive courtyard style brick apartment buildings, but not many townhomes in this area. Here's a link that might be helpful and features an apartment within a 2 block walk to the metra station, but is in the $1000/month range for rent--which I presume will be the trend.
Sherman & Washington Apartments Evanston, IL - Apartments for Rent in Evanston Illinois

Best of luck on your search.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM

62 posts, read 224,790 times
The neighborhoods are good near the Metra, with ample restaurants, some shops, and (especially at Main and Davis) pretty near the lake.

If you don't find a rental with parking, there are also some homeowners that rent garage spaces. A home for sale at 711 Madison Street has a 5 car garage that they rent spaces from, per the listing (zip 60202).

Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
There are more townhomes near the Central Street station probably, but I am betting the rents would be higher than near Main Street. Davis street might be the highest because it is *downtown* in terms of its location.

You would want to stay on the east side of town most likely.

You need to make a trip out here. Luckily you are coming up on October. Leases here generally go fast because of the connection to school. Vacancies will be in short supply soon.

We lived on Hinman avenue when we were renting, not far from Main Street. So we were near the metra and the lake and the *el* as well. There are some studio apartments in your price range, but it is hard to know how nice they are or how nice the buildings are unless you actually visit them.

Where will you be working? At Northwestern (you mention not on campus, but Northwestern is actually spread throughout the town and you will find students in most apartment complexes).

Dorothy

Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 PM

Hi Dorthy,

I will be working in Wheeling, IL at a company called Dynomax Spindles. The choice of Evanston was based on splitting the distance between work and Chicago. As well as the fact that I would like to live somewhere with people my age and hopefully find some roommates. But the job hardly gave me two weeks as a start and its a lot to put together in a short time.

I am from Michigan, and although Detroit does not compare to Chi, some of the Detroit suburbs are exclusively for young adults. I was hoping to find something along those lines, but have not had any luck. I am open to suggestions if there are still any to be made.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Evanston is a great place, but pricy. I suppose if you want to be within striking distance of Chicago, close to the lake and one of the best schools in the country, you've got to pay to play. You can be there if you choose to up your budget.

I know you said you're looking for roommates, but you have a very small window of time. You could definitely afford Evanston with $800 if you have a room mate.

Otherwise, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge and Skokie are all great choices. However, they are equally as expensive. I find that this region (near north sububs) are probably the most expensive suburbs in the Chicagoland area.

Alternatively, Arlington Heights is pretty nice, vibrant, and also has a metra line to take you to Chicago if need be. But, to some, that is too far away from the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs