Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 13,853 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are relocating for work. Office in Lincolnshire, but will be trying to buy our first home, so looking at towns further north and west hoping to stretch our few dollars.

The school district system up there seems very odd to me, and I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations on good schools (low drop-out rates, well-rounded education, low teacher/student ratio, etc). We've been looking at homes in Round Lake (Park, Beach and Heights); Grayslake; Vernon Hills; Wauconda; Crystal Lake (if it's far enough east...that's probably as far west as we're willing to commute).

Anyways, we do not have any children yet, but probably will in the next couple years, so school is very important for that, plus it really helps re-sale value when it comes time for that as well. Any words of wisdom from you Chicagoland natives??? All advice/opinions/thoughts/ideas welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 66,946 times
I would try to stay away from Round Lake and Wauconda. Those suburbs don't have a great school system and are overcrowded. Same thing if you were thinking of Island Lake as they are combined with Wauconda as far as the school system. Also, it may be cheaper to live in those places, but it is not great for raising kids, there is a lot of gang activity in certain parts. Crystal Lake is getting better, but the drive to Lincolnshire would take a long time. Lake in the Hills is pretty nice, but again, the drive time would be long.

I don't know what you budget is for a home, but I work in Lincolnshire and I currently live in Lake Zurich. They have nice homes, albeit, some older homes that are ranches/raised ranches and they are affordable. The school system isn't bad either. I'm been very satisifed with the school system as my son is a special education student who did so well, he will be going into regular first grade this upcoming Fall season. I feel he got a quality education this past year and have no complaints.

Kildeer, Long Grove, Deer Park and Barrington are for the wealthy. Palatine isn't too far, but you have to check out different sections of Palatine as some homes/apartments near Route 53 are not great.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 62,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelelee83 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are relocating for work. Office in Lincolnshire, but will be trying to buy our first home, so looking at towns further north and west hoping to stretch our few dollars.
Anyways, we do not have any children yet, but probably will in the next couple years, so school is very important for that, plus it really helps re-sale value when it comes time for that as well. Any words of wisdom from you Chicagoland natives??? All advice/opinions/thoughts/ideas welcome!
Few dollars and best schools systems do not go hand in hand. You didn't say what your price point is, and that is going to determine where you can live. Houses in the area range from 150K to 3M. The good schools districts will raise you resale value, but also your entry price.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM

44 posts, read 105,631 times
Default Good schools

Hello,
I don't know if you found your home yet, but Johnsburg has very good schools by far. Johnsburg is more expensive than say Island lake to live in but it's nice and rural. It may be too far for the commute to Lincolnshire though. Are you working with a Realtor? They can usually get that info to you.

Last edited by mdz; 09-21-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: no advertising on site

Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout66 View Post
Hello,
I don't know if you found your home yet, but Johnsburg has very good schools by far.
By far? Really? That's hard to believe when the statistics don't support it...

Johnsburg HS compared to nearest high schools within 10.5 miles:

percent of students meeting/exceeding state standards on the 2006 PSAE
Prairie Ridge HS - 74.1
Grayslake Central - 62.3
Lakes HS - 61.2
Richmond-Burton HS - 60.9
Grant HS - 57.6
Antioch - 56.3
McHenry East - 54.8
state average - 54.3
Wauconda HS - 52.5
McHenry West - 51.3
Johnsburg HS - 51.1
Round Lake - 34.8

average ACT composite score
Prairie Ridge HS - 22.5
Grayslake Central - 21.5
Richmond-Burton HS - 21.4
Johnsburg HS - 21.1
Antioch HS - 20.7
Wauconda HS - 20.7
McHenry West - 20.5
McHenry East - 20.3
state average - 20.3
Grant HS - 19.9
Round Lake HS - 18.2

Johnsburg Middle School compared to nearest middle schools within 11 miles:

percent of students meeting/exceeding state standards in all subjects on the 2006 ISAT
Nippersink (Richmond) - 88.0
Emmons (Antioch) - 87.9
Prairie Grove - 86.2
Wauconda - 85.3
Antioch - 83.2
Grayslake - 82.9
McHenry - 82.9
Palombi (Lake Villa) - 82.4
Parkland (McHenry) - 81.3
Johnsburg - 81.2
Stanton (Fox Lake) - 79.7
Tavierne (Ingleside) - 79.7
Gavin South (Ingleside) - 79.5
Grass Lake (Antioch) - 75.7
Harrison (Wonder Lake) - 74.3
Round Lake - 68.5

James C Bush Elementary compared to nearest elementary schools within 11 miles:

percent of students meeting/exceeding state standards in all subjects on the 2006 ISAT
Landmark (McHenry) - 94.0
Prairie Grove - 91.2
Emmons (Antioch) - 91.1
Crown (Wauconda) - 91.0
Richmond - 90.9
Thompson (Lake Villa) - 89.7
Meadowview (Grayslake) - 89.4
Cotton Creek (Island Lake) - 88.4
Bush (Johnsburg) - 88.2
Oakland (Antioch) - 86.7
Woodview (Grayslake) - 84.9
Martin (Lake Villa) - 84.5
Riverwood (McHenry) - 84.4
Antioch - 83.9
Prairieview (Hainesville) - 82.9
Petty (Antioch) - 82.1
Lotus (Spring Grove) - 81.7
Greenwood (Woodstock) - 81.5
Valley View (McHenry) - 81.4
Pleviak (Lake Villa) - 81.1
Big Hollow (Ingleside) - 80.8
Grass Lake (Antioch) - 80.3
Village (Round Lake) - 72.5
Round Lake Beach - 72.4
Murphy (Round Lake) - 72.2
Ellis (Round Lake) - 70.6

Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I think that was a Johnsburg Realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs