Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,745 times

Advertisements

Chicago traffic can be a pain at many hours of the day 7am-11am in the morning and 3pm-7pm in the afternoon/evening. going 10 miles can take as long as an hour sometimes. If you're flying mostly domestic Midway will probably be your best bet. There are some quiet communities on the south side that are a bit cheaper than things up north and things aren't quite as congested. If you like Mexican food and Polish food (lol) living by Midway wouldn't be a bad deal and of course the Orange line runs to Midway...If you lived off of the orange line you wouldnt have to pay to park your car.

Most of the neighborhoods off of the orange line are working class and blue collar. Things get a bit rough on the south side but most of that is well to the east. There are very quiet family communities around Midway. I dated a girl at 56th and Pulaski and her neighborhood was very quaint, quiet, and calm. (not to mention cheap)

West Elsdon:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
If you live in the suburbs, a car is also a necessity. Only in the city it is not a necessity. There are plenty of shopping centers and grocery stores close by everywhere. In the suburbs, you usually have to drive to them.

That particular complex is pretty good. The drive to O'Hare is anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour (rush hour).

Midway is about an hour to two hours (rush hour).

Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 37,451 times
Thank you Chitown and Desparato...I really appreciate it. Suburbs are good for me. I like the quiet and slower pace of Suburbs. Reminds me more of home.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Anything about Schaumberg?

Old 11-28-2010, 03:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Schaumburg is about 25 minutes NW of O'Hare airport. It is an easy commute as all you need to do is get on I-90 (The Kennedy). Schaumburg has a ton of apartment complexes. Check out International Village at Algonquin and Meacham. Schaumburg is a large suburb and has many places to shop and eat. Woodfield Mall is located there and it is the 2nd largest in America.

Keep in mind Chicago suburbs are continguous. This means they run into each other. Down south a lot of the towns are independent of one another and there are clear demarcations of what is what. In Chicagoland, often the only difference between suburbs is the sign on the side of the road that shows you are entering another suburb.

Someone might live in Schaumburg, shop in Hoffman Estates, work in Rolling Meadows, and hang out in Palatine. They are all close together.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYrMrk View Post
I need to be close to O'Hare
If you need to be close to O'Hare forget about places mentioned like the suburbs of Westchester,Burr Ridge,Woodridge and the Chicago neighborhoods of Logan Square and West Elsdon.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Why be close to O'hare or transit??????

If the OP's need to get to Boston and OK City really can be addressed by lving a reasonable distance from Midway (which is Southwest's hub in the region, as well as being very well served by other airlines that make travel to any other US city pretty effortless...) then Westchester is a VERY good option. It is relatively easy to get to any office areas near O'Hare fro Westchester as well.

In fact, I can say without hesitation that driving to the greater O'hare office areas is EASIER from towns close to 294 (like Westchester or Burr Ridge) that from any part Chicago save Edison Park and points west...

OP should clarify the specific location(s) that work will require him to be at -- is the Boston angle temporary? If not why not relocate there? Really don't see value in getting to Boston from OK City through Chicago....

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Courses will be in Boston, can't move there cause of the cost of living...WAY TOO EXPENSIVE...You think Chicago is high? Boston area is about 40% higher COL there.

My understanding is that they needed me to live near a hub airport. O'Hare is the one closest to them, they wouldn't even think of DFW, which is closer to me. So they asked if I would be willing to work remote out of Chicago area and do classes in Boston 3 days a week.

Chet, you may have something there. I will check out Westchester. I appreciate all the good help, but right now, I am at the mercy of the company. Also, do any of you know where EMC Data Storage Solutions is located there in Chicago? Maybe locate between EMC and O'Hare, or EMC and Midway. Something. I just don't want to be unprepared if and when they offer me the position.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I believe EMC is near Rosemont...

I know a dozen or so folks that work for various tech / consulting firms and I understand that they living close to an airport like Atlanta is ideal for their employer.

Chicago is not cheap, and I agree that Boston, being a smaller area with more challenging commuting is not any better but folks on this thread that are outing places in the hip urban areas and dismissing towns close to both Midway and O'hare just are not familiar with the kinds of assignments / lifestyle the OP is facing. The OP will need to drive between their apartment and the airport and probably some assignments in the Chicago region too. Taking 294 into Lake Co is going to be more likely than needing / wanting to go clubbing at 3AM via public transit....

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 AM

I don't club...I am a first time Grandfather. I am not trying to make a lifestyle change there in Chicago. I just need a nice apartment that is safely between the company and the airports. I have nearly decided on the Pavilion right next to O'Hare. Driving doesn't bother me. I live in a town that is 750sq Miles in area. So getting across town in light traffic is nearly an hour commute.

Thank you again Chet for trying to keep the thread in the direction that I originally needed. Just remember guys, it is Hip to be Square. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs