Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have found several very nice homes within our budget in yorkville. Our oldest son is currently finishing 8th grade and will be starting high school next year. We are curious to know how other area parents or people familiar with yorkville feel about the quality of education at Yorkville High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Pretty unimpressive...

Yorkville has a "unit" district, which in theory ought to allow for better coordination between the various schools, but too often in Illinois does not.

The results in Yorkville at the high school level is nothing special: Illinois Interactive Report Card

Without knowing where you live now I can't say whether you'd be leaving a district that is even worse, but there are many districts nearby that are far better...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 13,483 times
Yorkville overall has mostly under performing schools. Yorkville High School is not a very good school at all in my opinion and from the test results posted above. The school has been under performing for years. The schools are a big negative that can't really be overlooked if you value your children's education. I would recommend looking at Naperville, Downers Grove or Elmhurst.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
The standardized test scores coming out of Yorkville High School are unusually low. And the lower test results coming from yorkville high school does not seem to be a result of the minority students who usually score lower, as this is usually the case in more diverse areas. Does anyone have any idea what is going on at Yorkville high school?

Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default My impression is based on limited contact...

...but from what I can tell there are some hard-to-bridge divides between the traditional farm family / locals and the influx of new residents. The growth of residential property happened pretty quickly, and many of the more senior teachers retired. There are enough private high schools in the area that more well off fsmilies are probably choosing those. That leaves a non-cohesive mix of new comers that don't really have the same values as old timers with less experienced teachers to try and pull everything together. Could be worse, but very different than other areas, where folks tend to move specifically for highly rated schools and are more involved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs