Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 40,960 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My husband and I are relocating from MN to Chicago; husband will be teaching at Northwestern, and I'll be working out of our home at least for the foreseeable future. I've been looking in to Evanston but I just don't think we're going to have the budget for it. I've read a bit on this forum about Glenview, and my impression is that it's slightly less expensive (i.e., seems like you can find a nice house there for $350K or less), the schools seem good, and it seems like a nice, livable suburb (if not as "hip" as Evanston).

Would you agree? Any other information can share about living in Glenview would be very welcome!

Finally, if you had a housing budget around mid-300K, had dogs and kids, and wanted good schools and a short commute to NU, where would YOU live?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Probably not true ...

The costs of a low end house in Evanston are probably below that of a low end house in Glenview. In either town >$350k is not going to buy a whole lot, but you can get a solid value...

Personally I would be shopping in a whole bunch of towns if $350k was my ceiling. I would look to the towns that have highly rated schools and solid housing prices. I would probably be willing to get an older smaller home in a town that would still give me a short commute to NU.

Among the towns I would focus on are Park Ridge, Wilmette,and maybe Highland Park. If you are willing to get a bank owned property or other distressed situation you litterally would be getting TWICE the value of some of these honmes just a few years ago!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM

42 posts, read 199,724 times
Glenview is a nice suburb, the schools are good. I don't know if you can find a good house for $350K, but you can certainly try - prices have really come down these days.

For raising kids, I'd pick Glenview over Evanston even if money wasn't an issue.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM

Thank you for the response, Chet. Re: the comparison between Evanston and Glenview...are the "bad" areas of Evanston (where you can get a cheaper house) still in decent school districts? Or would $350K in Glenview buy you a nicer school than $350K in Evanston?

And, Wilmette - really? I guess I just assumed that'd be way out of our price range.

I'm just rather shocked (and depressed) at the housing costs in Chicago. I currently live in the Twin Cities and I guess we're pretty spoiled.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Sunsmile, thanks. If you wouldn't mind a follow-up question: why would you choose Glenview over Evanston?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Wilmette? You bet...

Granted you are not going to be in a walk to town location and the house will likely have some odd design choices (ceramic tile through out? Well it is easy to clean...) but you will likely have crazy low taxes, neighbors that push their kids to excellence in academics, music and other comptitions where they will win individual medals, easy access to cultural offerings, and a pretty easy commute to NU.

You will likely have to act fast, and then twiddle your thunbs while the bank decides what to do, but if you can endure that it is far and away the best value...

As to what you get for $350k in Glenview vs Evanston it is not so much that those parts of Evanston are "unsafe" (mostly they are ok) but the potential is lacking. I sort feel the same way about most of the affordable parts of Glenview -- if you didn't have map you would think they are in a far less desirable town...

Granted the affordable parts of the towns I do like that are convenient to NU are not the not charming either, but I still some potenial in those towns as foreclosures are far less common...

Last edited by chet everett; 01-31-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

42 posts, read 199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
Sunsmile, thanks. If you wouldn't mind a follow-up question: why would you choose Glenview over Evanston?
Evanston has some really bad pockets... real ghettos with thugs and drugs - I wouldn't set my foot in those neighborhoods even during daylight!

It's really segregated - there are great neighborhoods there that supposedly don't get affected by neighboring with the ghettos... but the whole Evanston goes to the same high school.

Glenview doesn't have any dangerous neighborhoods. The less desirable pockets of Glenview are filled with middle-class (vs. upper-middle class) regular hard-working folks, not criminals.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM

133 posts, read 291,851 times
I have lived in Glenview since 2000. I also looked in Evanston and had your price range and had a hard time finding something during that time. Back then, things sold right away and there were bidding wars. I gave up on Evanston even though I loved it and still do. The homes in my price range needed a ton of work or else they were 4-5 year homes that we would have outgrown. We conceeded to Glenview, and I still have access to all of my Evanston favorites.

350 and under will be a challenge, but it is not impossible. I agree with all of Chet's comments, as he knows his stuff very well. I agree that you should look at multiple suburbs. My suggestions would be Glenview, Wilmette, Evanston, Skokie, Morton Grove, Northfield. If you want to go a little further you can look at Niles, Lincolnwood,Park Ridge, Mt. Prospect, Arlington Heights,Des Plaines etc. I would look at schools individually, as for example Skokie and Park Ridge have multiple school districts. I would prepare to make concessions and be ready to pounce on the right one. Real estate here is pricey, and yes it is depressing! My husband's family in Wisconsin could not believe the price of our house. There we would have gotten much, much more for our money. Instead, we have a house built in the 1960's that would be a third of the price in a cheaper geographic. However, you will be buying a location, school district and community that has loads to offer. I love that I don't have to take a plane to downtown Chicago and that there is culture nearby. I also love that my kids go to a top-notch school. I have never regretted the decision, and feel that it was a great investment financially and for my kids.
Here is an example of what you could get in an eastern part of Glenview (closer to Evanston). 17 Beverly Lane Glenview IL - Real Estate for Sale and Homes for Sale - MLS #07639106 - Realtor.com®
Bear in mind that it will not be a "drive by" or your dream house. As they say, location, location, location! Good luck with everything. You will love the Chicago area, at least you are already used to the cold

Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 AM

Thank you 847mom...that is great perspective. The listing you linked to is exactly the type of home that makes me think Glenview might be possible for us. This one too: 824 Juniper Rd, GLENVIEW, IL 60025 | MLS# 07449112

I have a modest budget, and fortunately, fairly realistic tastes. I live in a small 1950s rambler now which I love, so that's all I need in Chicago. My biggest want is what most families want - a livable area with a good school for their kids. And I'd rather live closer in than farther out if we can swing it (we like the older 'burbs).

I like the strategy you & Chet are suggesting about widening the search to various areas surrounding Evanston in order to find something that meets our criteria.

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs