Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
comcast is pretty expensive
and the customer service is hard to get a hold of anytime of day.
pictue is great hd channels are great
internet speed is great
why I keep paying 150 bucks a month is beyond me
i tried dish but the signals would go out
then they increased my bill once the promo was up
cant complain too much about comcast.
I must say that Comcast has awesome internet service. Cable, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
OTA or over the air tv is fine if you want to buy, erect and install an antenna. It is fine if all you are interested in is analog channela. It does not pick up digital or high definition signals.

The biggest problem with the antenna is lightening. It can jump the ground, blow the tv and start a fire like it did in parents house. It caused $30k damage.

The big diesh can pull more channels but reception is not very good. If you donot have the mechanixmm to auto move the dish you spend a lot of time outside trying to align OTA signals. I have always perfered it to cable. Cable killed the big dish - which is mostly used today to broadcast signals to the satellites thet deliver the cable. It is a two headed hydra. .

Last edited by linicx; 07-06-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
You must be referring to Uverse as of 2009. I have 4 HD feeds, not 2. I also do not lose reception at the slightest amount of rain like I did when I had Directv. Uverse has 3D channels and multiple platform delivery (i.e. watch video on demand on your cell phone, ipad, or PC). Uverse has waaaay more video on demand then Directv and the Uverse universal remote works automatically with your home theatre system (unlike the directv remote where you have to toggle a button on top of the remote and manually turn your receiver on---i.e. 1990 technology).

P.S- I looked it up and Uverse has 165 HD channels...more than Directv
Sorry i must have missed this reply. If they doubled it to 4 that's definitely an improvement, but Directv has no limit. I have 3 tivo boxes in my house and can DVR 6 HD shows at once if I so desired. Granted 4 is probably plenty for most people but it's still a difference.

Regarding signal strength, if you had a lazy DTV contractor I'm not surprised. I've had DTV since 2000 and can count one one hand the times my signal has gone out. I also install/align my own dishes. Their installers only need to hit 70% on the signal meters to be successful, hence the rain/snow fade. Mine is currently at 95%+ across all satellites.

Uverse, wins in on demand, but the margin is getting smaller. Currently Directv has over 6000 programs ondemand.

Anyone with a home theater has or should have a Harmony remote anyways. My TVs w/o them the Direct remote can turn on the TV and DTV box and adjust volume, all I'd ever need on a non theater setup.

Regarding the HD channels, anyone who says they have more than DTV is just speaking in marketing terms. I consider an HD channel one that is HD all the time, and Directv has the most.

Lastly, Directv has a superior picture. Much less compressed and consistently rated the best of any service available, second only to OTA HD signals.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Sorry i must have missed this reply. If they doubled it to 4 that's definitely an improvement, but Directv has no limit. I have 3 tivo boxes in my house and can DVR 6 HD shows at once if I so desired. Granted 4 is probably plenty for most people but it's still a difference.

Regarding signal strength, if you had a lazy DTV contractor I'm not surprised. I've had DTV since 2000 and can count one one hand the times my signal has gone out. I also install/align my own dishes. Their installers only need to hit 70% on the signal meters to be successful, hence the rain/snow fade. Mine is currently at 95%+ across all satellites.

Uverse, wins in on demand, but the margin is getting smaller. Currently Directv has over 6000 programs ondemand.

Anyone with a home theater has or should have a Harmony remote anyways. My TVs w/o them the Direct remote can turn on the TV and DTV box and adjust volume, all I'd ever need on a non theater setup.

Regarding the HD channels, anyone who says they have more than DTV is just speaking in marketing terms. I consider an HD channel one that is HD all the time, and Directv has the most.

Lastly, Directv has a superior picture. Much less compressed and consistently rated the best of any service available, second only to OTA HD signals.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. I enjoy the superior picture of Directv's non-HD and HD channels whenever I'm viewing someone's tv with their service. I think they are the overall winner in this scenario.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Regarding the HD channels, anyone who says they have more than DTV is just speaking in marketing terms. I consider an HD channel one that is HD all the time, and Directv has the most. .
Sorry, your wrong! Uverse has 137 full-time, dedicated HD channels compared to 98 for Directv. These channels are clearly documented in the link. DIRECTV does not even carry all of the HBO and Cinemax HD channels like Uverse does. Nor does Directv carry the HD versions of AMC, TCM, Outdoor Channel, OWN, CNN Headline News, G4, and DIY---and that just names a few. Directv is not even close to UVERSE in HD channels and your claim that it must be marketing claims is laughable...almost like your a DTV rep? lol

Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 6/5/11! - AVS Forum

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 07-09-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Get dish/directv over comcast. If you do go cable get At&t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs