Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 19,687 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to either Homer Glen or Lockport area primarily for location/accessability to 355 AND most importantly for SCHOOLs. I know both suburbs feed into Lockport TOwnship Highs School, but does any one know if both these suburbs have good elementary & middle schools?

Or is one suburb better than the other for any other reasons??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 15,715 times
I believe they're both fairly similar. Personally I'd have no problem in sending my own children through either district.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 46,652 times
I just toured Butler from Homer 33 over the week of St. Pats. Now mind you I was not just looking at their gen ed setting, but their special ed as well and I was pleased. The Director of Student Services I met with bought a house out there in the neighboring Lockport district purposefully so her children don't attend school with 'mom'. She said that the other schools in Lockport were on par with Homer.

Homer just built a new elementary school and they have a referendum coming up for bonds that if passed, the new hs will be built in Homer (I think she said 151st and Parker). Currently (my understanding) the freshman attend the Lockport HS located in 'downtown' LP. The rest attend LTHS but do two shifts - 6-12 and 12-6. The Director told me the split shifts won't be happening next year. If the measure doesn't pass for the new HS, the estimates to fix the existing building housing freshman stands at +20 million so it will remain functional.

Some things I found when I had the time to drive around and look at houses. Verify attendence boundaries through the school as they are odd. Some homes have well water, some city and I can't figure out the pattern as to who has what. Same with taxes. Also, Homer has an official registration start date. Kids can request other schools if there is room, but they fill up fast.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM

74 posts, read 167,740 times
In general, Homer Glen has larger, higher priced homes, a higher median income, and less diversity.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Yep, and more sales tax too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacas1 View Post
In general, Homer Glen has larger, higher priced homes, a higher median income, and less diversity.
The Homer Glen boundaries and planners take in a nicer mix of retail space. Not as dramatic as Orland Park or Oak Brook, but that sales tax revenue helps pay for the cost of governemental services...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,521 times
We just moved to Lockport and I can't comment on the school curriculum as of yet, but I can say that the kids in the public elementary school that my child recently enrolled in this week do not make any effort to welcome, nor accept new children! Bullying began the first day... she was told that the "popular girls" don't like new kids. I have friends who sent their kids to this school and their kids had major problems with bully's as well. I assumed my child would be okay because she has never been the victim of bullying in the past. It's just a small town with small minds to go along with it. You may want to seek a more "educated" community if you are seeking acceptance. Just a heads up....

Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 PM

99 posts, read 191,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkenn View Post
We just moved to Lockport and I can't comment on the school curriculum as of yet, but I can say that the kids in the public elementary school that my child recently enrolled in this week do not make any effort to welcome, nor accept new children! Bullying began the first day... she was told that the "popular girls" don't like new kids. I have friends who sent their kids to this school and their kids had major problems with bully's as well. I assumed my child would be okay because she has never been the victim of bullying in the past. It's just a small town with small minds to go along with it. You may want to seek a more "educated" community if you are seeking acceptance. Just a heads up....
Bullies are EVERYWHERE.

IN EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY!!

This is NOT a "small town with small minds", nor are we "uneducated". Neither of my daughters experienced being bullied themselves when we moved here, but they did observe it on occasion, (same as in their previous school in Channahon) and they always spoke up, defending the bullied child, which is what we raised them to do.

It always starts with the parents. Just like how YOU jumped to conclusions and made incorrect assumptions, judging ALL the residents in this town based on one altercation with a minutely tiny portion of the residents. Are you raising your children to do the same?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
get ready for well water.. stained bathtubs.. toliets and sinks

Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM

172 posts, read 316,304 times
Take a look at frankfort.

About 4-5 miles to I 355, once on I-80 (if ur north of 30 pretty quick), schools are very good. Composite act scores for Lincoln way east is 23 same as L.T. serving parts of west suburbs/Lagrange/burr ridge also. Our cheer leaders just took state champs IHSA. Great elementary schools as well. Some of my professional friends who are within Carl Sandburg HS district in orland park are moving to frankfort since its outperforming Sandburg.

New house construction has rapidly picked up , still good deals to be had, a lot of new businesses in town, huge Mariano's just built, new meijer, noodles and company, urgent cares etc, metra access, very quaint downtown, expansive expansive park district services , gorgeous houses.

Atrocious property taxes though

Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 PM

145 posts, read 388,329 times
I taught chess at both Butler and Young elementaries and both of those schools were great. I had a great experience with the kids at both schools and both communities seemed very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs