Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slederma View Post
My thanks to everyone for their opinions. I may have been a bit too vague with my definition of rural. I just don't want to live next door to a factory. From the bit of looking I have done, Plainfield and Romeoville (in Plainfield schools) looks pretty good. Bolingbrook looked like a possibility until I researched the schools. I couldn't find many people who had nice things to say. So I guess my question now is, what everyone thinks of the Plainfield / Romeoville area and if anyone has any reason(s) they would be wary of settling there. Once again I appreciate all your help.
I would go Plainfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
5 years back we purchased or contracted a home in Bolingbrook.
After getting home and sleeping on that one- we woke up with serious buyers remorse. We ended up backing out but for reasons not posted on this board to this day I still do not regret backing out of that situation. Since I have driven thru that neighborhood in Bolingbrook and dont regret backing out one bit.

We based our decision on access to a metra line and Bolingbrook did not have
Not sure if thats important to you but it really was to us and besides Plainfield not having metra I dont see any other downsides.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
5 years back we purchased or contracted a home in Bolingbrook.
After getting home and sleeping on that one- we woke up with serious buyers remorse. We ended up backing out but for reasons not posted on this board to this day I still do not regret backing out of that situation. Since I have driven thru that neighborhood in Bolingbrook and dont regret backing out one bit.

We based our decision on access to a metra line and Bolingbrook did not have
Not sure if thats important to you but it really was to us and besides Plainfield not having metra I dont see any other downsides.
I wonder why there isn't one. I looked it up and the closest stops are in Lemont, Lockport and not so close in Joliet...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Not sure why but assuming no tracks for anything existed in that area
you got me looking at a map too and woodridge no station, darien no station
romeoville no station that whole area.

i do find it odd that bolingbrook has had that much growth in recent years even without access to a metra line close by.

granted 3-4 miles is not far but still you would need to travel to get there
espicially considering where you live in bolingbrook

i would speculate the relators dont expand too much on this subject

just something to remember if someone asks in the future about a relocation
to me thats a deal killer

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
romeoville no station that whole area.

i do find it odd that bolingbrook has had that much growth in recent years even without access to a metra line close by.

granted 3-4 miles is not far but still you would need to travel to get there
espicially considering where you live in bolingbrook

i would speculate the relators dont expand too much on this subject

I don't find it odd at all. Bolingbrook grew rapidly during a time when gas was as cheap as tap water. Who cared about a Metra line through Bolingbrook when it was cheaper and faster to drive into the City? Not many. Now though, with gas near and over $4, this is a much more significant issue. 10-15 years ago, the fact that you could get a new spec house on a large lot was a much more important consideration than public transit access.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM

well you certainly hit the mark on that one! and that is one great point and it makes all the sense in the world.

wasnt that long ago that gas was under what 2 bucks or a little over 2 bucks a gallon and back then - cant believe i am saying that (back then)
Like i am some old fart - who cared.. back then i drove an v8 and now a honda 4cyl -----

this is exactly the reason i think you will see a reverse flow back to the inner ring burbs like cicero, berwyn etc. that is just my opinion but i would speculate you will see that in the next census if fuel costs remain

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
2 bucks? "Spikes" in gasoline prices over $2 before 2008 tended to trigger front page headlines and breathless editorials regarding impending economic catastrophy, not to mention depleted inventories of shot guns and canned goods at the nation's Wal Marts.

Gas for the most part was in the $1.50-$1.75 range during the salad days of Bolingbrook's growth. At those prices, it was cheaper to drive a Ford Excursion from Bolingbrook to the Loop and dock the thing at a City-run parking garage than to spring $6 bucks for a round trip Metra ticket.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
romeoville no station that whole area. ........
That is strange. However, it wouldn't be a deal killer for me though, just my opinion though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don't find it odd at all. Bolingbrook grew rapidly during a time when gas was as cheap as tap water. Who cared about a Metra line through Bolingbrook when it was cheaper and faster to drive into the City? Not many. Now though, with gas near and over $4, this is a much more significant issue. 10-15 years ago, the fact that you could get a new spec house on a large lot was a much more important consideration than public transit access.
I miss cheap gas!!! It's not fun anymore to just go outside. Everything has to be planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Gas for the most part was in the $1.50-$1.75 range during the salad days of Bolingbrook's growth. At those prices, it was cheaper to drive a Ford Excursion from Bolingbrook to the Loop and dock the thing at a City-run parking garage than to spring $6 bucks for a round trip Metra ticket.
I've always wondered what driving an Excursion was like. I really miss the days of $1.30 gas...we went everywhere lol

Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Yeah for some it would not be a deal killer, but in this scenario
my wife had to take metra very early in the morning.
Did not want her going out in any neighborhood good bad or in between
before sunrise so that but an end to that search

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
You guys are young. I remember when gas was $0.18/gallon and we had gas wars between the stations. In 1993 it was $0.68/gallon. and in 1998 it was approaching $0.80 cents. After 2000 it skyrocked to $5.00 in some places and milk was over $2.00/gallon.

The good ol' days are gone forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs