Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times

Advertisements

I really fail to see how Evergreen Park is better than or even equal to Oak Lawn in any respect. Tell us more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
I grew up in Evergreen, and now live in Oak Lawn. I like both towns quite a bit, but have to admit a preference for EP. It just has more of a small town, community feel to it, imo. It's really an intangible thing. It is smaller, with fewer then 20,000 residents, and the village boundaries are clearly defined and rarely out of sight. There seem to be a lot more people on the street in EP, out walking, kids playing, neighbors sitting on porches. It just seems like you don't see that too much in Oak Lawn. Arguably, the housing stock is more attractive and eclectic. Oak Lawn has a couple of small areas with a lot of older and/or historic homes. Around 52nd Ave. and 95th St., where the village was founded there are a lot of older, frame homes. Just east of there, out to Cicero, somewhat out west to Central, are older brick homes. North of 95th in that range are some older homes as well, but much of the village housing stock start's with the cape cod's from the 50's found southeast of 99th and Pulaski and south of 87th St. Maybe it's because EP is more concentrated, but overall there just seems to be a more attractive (i.e. older) selection of homes, though admittedly, the northeast section of the village is a notable exception, especially east of California. If you're looking for a McMansion, you won't find it in EP, though this argues for the quality of the housing stock. There are few tear downs, compared to Oak Lawn or Burbank. There are a ton of renovation and expansion projects going on, though. One example of the quality in EP, I believe it's Homan, south of 99th, and there's a whole block of modest brick houses, mostly cape cods. I remember when I was walking in the neighborhood, thinking how nice it looked. There was nothing fancy about it, but each home was immaculately maintained, and had little distinctive architectural details, front doors, railings, etc. that made them unique and demonstrated the pride that people had in their homes. It was was really just exceptionally attractive, in an understated way. The 95th Street streetscaping is beautiful, one of the most attractive examples of it that I've seen. Schools are comparable, neither village has any outstanding school districts. Perhaps it's just childhood nostalgia, but even being next door and visiting often (most of my family still lives there), I do miss EP.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:27 PM

180 posts, read 408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I really fail to see how Evergreen Park is better than or even equal to Oak Lawn in any respect. Tell us more.

i agree. the only area of evergreen park that would compare is really close to the hospital... other than that, there is no comparison between the two.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,849 times
I always thought of Ev. Park as Oak Lawn "light". Smaller version of the same kind of housing, schools, retail development. Doesn't have as big of a park district or library, but you are right next door to Oak Lawn if you want to use theirs. Median income is higher in Ev. Park, yet homes cost a little less. From what I've been reading, posters are saying they don't feel the nighborhoods in Oak Lawn are as appealing/safe as in the past, while Ev. PArk posters on other threads have said they still think it is well-kept and kid-friendly. Public school performance is comparable in both cities. Seemed like a viable option for the O.P., IMO.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM

124 posts, read 379,474 times
Default A view from an Oak Lawn fan

Oak Lawn is slowly but surely getting a higher profile. It was the undisputed leader of the SW suburbs for about 40 years before Orland Park started flexing their sprawl muscles in the late 80s and 90s.

It looked like OL was on the verge of becoming a dowager town, but things have most definitely turned around in the last decade. The village is experiencing a dramatic rebirth as people discover the plethora of housing choices from starter condo to spendy move-up. The schools no longer enjoy the golden reputations they once had, but it seems like that trend is also starting to reverse itself and mirror the image turnaround of the village. A good education is certainly avalable for those who want it.

Just a couple weeks ago the Trib ran a story about unheralded neighborhoods. (Not *everyone* can live on the North Shore, in a trendoid city 'hood, or a wannabe nouveaux riche burb.) Note that both Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park are listed in the linked story.

In my opinion, anyone who tells you to steer clear of Oak Lawn is exhibiting raw, unadulterated snobbery.

Readers show off their ZIP appeal -- chicagotribune.com

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I'm kind of a fan of Oak Lawn & Evergreen Park too. The size of OL can be a bit of downsize, as smaller areas seem to be a little easier to keep stable, but it also contributes to the diversity of housing and give more options. The presence of teardowns is kind of a good thing, as that really opens up the upside potential, but is also means that some kinds of renovations may not be money makers.

People really have to weigh all the factors when they make a decision and commute, especially if one has to head southwest or southeast or downtown, would be a huge plus in favor of either OL or EP.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 11,505 times
If you like rising crime rates then Oak Lawn is for you. Cops that don't care. High property taxes, ****TY schools and lots of crime.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,505 times
Oak Lawn= rising crime, rising crime, rising crime. Police? Who? What? Where?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 28,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanLafine1 View Post
Oak Lawn= rising crime, rising crime, rising crime. Police? Who? What? Where?
I leave my back door unlocked, we walk the dog at night, and nothing happens! Haven't experienced this crime wave that you say is happening in Oak Lawn.....

Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 43,234 times
i wouldnt are you looking to raise a family ? i grew up there in the 60s but not now!! gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs