Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Northwest Indiana a part of Chicagoland?
Yes 45 72.58%
No 16 25.81%
Other - please explain 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM

263 posts, read 567,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It's ironic because there's only one collar county that actually touches the city. It's Lake County, Indiana..

Dupage county abuts O'hare airport, so technically Dupage county also actually touches the city. Prior to the recent airport expansion, there was actually a neighborhood west of O'hare in Chicago city limits and also in Dupage county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
Proximity doesn't define what is a suburb or part of Chicago, city limits and state lines do, legally lake and porter county are under Indiana jurisdiction.
It's more complicated than that, and has more to do with what percentage of people in a given town commute which direction, flows of capital, and economic activity. And of course, cultural identity.

I have family in Hammond going back a few generations, and they certainly have always considered themselves part of Chicagoland. The term "suburb" became popular as "bedroom communities" popped up after World War II that had nearly all land use tied up in residential and retail. But places like NW Indiana, Aurora, Elgin, Waukegan, etc. all existed as larger nodes of economic activity before "Chicagoland" gobbled them up. These cities have always been satellites in Chicago's orbit, and now MOST people consider all of them "Chicago suburbs".

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The only Chicago suburbs are in Cook County.
This is very much false. The "Chicago Suburbs" extend in to AT LEAST eight different counties, and even if you contest some of the exurbs, you can't deny that DuPage is nearly entirely comprised of "Chicago suburbs", as are significant parts of Will, Lake, Kane, and McHenry counties.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM

103 posts, read 257,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's more complicated than that, and has more to do with what percentage of people in a given town commute which direction, flows of capital, and economic activity. And of course, cultural identity.

I have family in Hammond going back a few generations, and they certainly have always considered themselves part of Chicagoland. The term "suburb" became popular as "bedroom communities" popped up after World War II that had nearly all land use tied up in residential and retail. But places like NW Indiana, Aurora, Elgin, Waukegan, etc. all existed as larger nodes of economic activity before "Chicagoland" gobbled them up. These cities have always been satellites in Chicago's orbit, and now MOST people consider all of them "Chicago suburbs".

As much as you would like to believe that, that's not the case. I've lived in Chicago city limits, and was born in the suburbs in Arlington Heights which is part of Cook County, i've also lived in Michigan City, Indiana so I can speak from experience.

Simply commuting to a town doesn't make it a suburb, not much more than how I live in the panhandle of Florida and many people commute from Alabama to Pensacola for work or vice versa, that doesn't make pensacola a suburb of mobile or mobile a suburb of pensacola because of commuter distance. It's the same with New York and New Jersey or Washington DC and Baltimore.

You can say that Northwest Indiana is part of the Chicagoland Metropolitan Area but officially it is not a suburban area of Chicago regardless of proximity of the city.

Simply supporting a sports team doesn't make it part of Chicago anymore than me supporting the bulls and cubs and making northwest Florida a Chicago suburb.

Northwest Indiana does have many differences and some similarities.

Even outter ring suburbs that are part of Cook County are still served through the court systems, hospital services, taxes, regulations, culture, food, etc. Many of the outer suburbs are highly diverse and you will find a lot of similarities that you will find in Chicago.

I found no similarities in NorthWest Indiana other than the South Shore Line and the fact subway uses Giardiniera. I found no similarities in the grid setup, housing, jobs, diversity, or culture. That's not to say Northwest Indiana is bad, I simply see very large differences with the similarities being that many people who either lived in Chicago or descend from people who lived in Chicago moved there for tax reasons and cost of living.

The fact of the matter is that you can find many similarities in many cities, just like if you go to El Paso, it borders Juarez, but the fact is once you leave that line, your no longer in Texas, you've crossed into Mexico, the same with going from Chicago into Indiana it is across state lines and regardless of similarities they are still 2 different states, there is a reason northwest Indiana is considered part of Indiana and not Illinois and quite frankly I don't really see much of an issue with that, Indiana probably has better taxes and more rights than Illinois.

I don't have an issue with people from Indiana saying they are from near the Chicago area or part of the Chicago metropolitan area, it just sounds weird to hear someone claim it as a Chicago suburb, the people of Chicago already have a hard enough time accepting suburbs as a part of Chicago and understandably so due to city limits.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
As much as you would like to believe that, that's not the case. I've lived in Chicago city limits, and was born in the suburbs in Arlington Heights which is part of Cook County, i've also lived in Michigan City, Indiana so I can speak from experience.

Simply commuting to a town doesn't make it a suburb, not much more than how I live in the panhandle of Florida and many people commute from Alabama to Pensacola for work or vice versa, that doesn't make pensacola a suburb of mobile or mobile a suburb of pensacola because of commuter distance. It's the same with New York and New Jersey or Washington DC and Baltimore.

You can say that Northwest Indiana is part of the Chicagoland Metropolitan Area but officially it is not a suburban area of Chicago regardless of proximity of the city.

Simply supporting a sports team doesn't make it part of Chicago anymore than me supporting the bulls and cubs and making northwest Florida a Chicago suburb.

Northwest Indiana does have many differences and some similarities.

Even outter ring suburbs that are part of Cook County are still served through the court systems, hospital services, taxes, regulations, culture, food, etc. Many of the outer suburbs are highly diverse and you will find a lot of similarities that you will find in Chicago.

I found no similarities in NorthWest Indiana other than the South Shore Line and the fact subway uses Giardiniera. I found no similarities in the grid setup, housing, jobs, diversity, or culture.
That's not to say Northwest Indiana is bad, I simply see very large differences with the similarities being that many people who either lived in Chicago or descend from people who lived in Chicago moved there for tax reasons and cost of living.

The fact of the matter is that you can find many similarities in many cities, just like if you go to El Paso, it borders Juarez, but the fact is once you leave that line, your no longer in Texas, you've crossed into Mexico, the same with going from Chicago into Indiana it is across state lines and regardless of similarities they are still 2 different states, there is a reason northwest Indiana is considered part of Indiana and not Illinois and quite frankly I don't really see much of an issue with that, Indiana probably has better taxes and more rights than Illinois.

I don't have an issue with people from Indiana saying they are from near the Chicago area or part of the Chicago metropolitan area, it just sounds weird to hear someone claim it as a Chicago suburb, the people of Chicago already have a hard enough time accepting suburbs as a part of Chicago and understandably so due to city limits.
Perhaps this has something to with you living way the hell out in Michigan City. We were talking about Lake County, Indiana, remember? It's the same south side suburban culture in Highland, Indiana as Tinley Park.

You forgot another reason why people are moving to Indidna - the same Chicagoland south side white flight that's been going on for generations. I doubt too many white flighters are running as far away as Michigan City though. They never run THAT far..

You're right that Michigan City might not be a suburb.. It's part of Michiana.

Last edited by urza216; 10-03-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Hammond, Munster, Merillville, and many others are clearly Chicago suburbs. There is nothing magical about a state line. Most of New York City's suburbs are in New Jersey and Connecticut.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 PM

145 posts, read 388,264 times
I have to say the I'd consider only some of the communities in Lake County, IN to be suburbs of Chicago. I used to live in Valpo, and went all through Porter County doing deliveries. Besides Valpo's bus to Chicago and the South Shore Line near Chesterton, I didn't feel the Chicago vibe at all. Porter was definitely Indiana heartland in my eyes. The Chicago feeling got more apparent the further west I drove, but even the smaller communities in Lake County I wouldn't really consider suburbs. Crown Point, to me, doesn't feel like it's connected to Chicago in any way. Communities like Griffith didn't really feel that way to me either. If anything, Griffith seemed more a suburb of Gary. The main ones that felt like suburbs to me were Munster, Dyer, and Hammond. Never went through E.C. or Whiting so I can't comment on those. Of course this is all purely my opinion, so I could be wrong.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
I have to say the I'd consider only some of the communities in Lake County, IN to be suburbs of Chicago. I used to live in Valpo, and went all through Porter County doing deliveries. Besides Valpo's bus to Chicago and the South Shore Line near Chesterton, I didn't feel the Chicago vibe at all. Porter was definitely Indiana heartland in my eyes. The Chicago feeling got more apparent the further west I drove, but even the smaller communities in Lake County I wouldn't really consider suburbs. Crown Point, to me, doesn't feel like it's connected to Chicago in any way. Communities like Griffith didn't really feel that way to me either. If anything, Griffith seemed more a suburb of Gary. The main ones that felt like suburbs to me were Munster, Dyer, and Hammond. Never went through E.C. or Whiting so I can't comment on those. Of course this is all purely my opinion, so I could be wrong.
That vibe is lost on the Illinois side also. Try going to Plainfield, St. Charles, Deerfield or even closer suburbs and you will find the same thing

Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
If you think Porter is Indiana heartland, you know nothing about Indiana. Perhaps that's also part of the problem. Indiana has more white Baptists than any non-southern state. This isn't reflected anywhere in NWI. Come down and actually see "Indiana culture" and then go back up and you'll figure out what a bastard child "Da Region" is.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:59 PM

145 posts, read 388,264 times
I'm referring to the rural areas in Porter County, where it's mostly farmland or prairie. I don't know much about the rest of the state, but I know it looks about the same. I'd love for you to elaborate on your thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs