Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 15,713 times

Advertisements

I just had a job offer from a company that will soon be moving to Burr Ridge. Can anyone tell me about the area? I'm female and in my early 30s...where would be a good, fun, dynamic place to live that isn't too far away? From what I read, it looks like the best places to live are in the northern part of the Chicago area...would you consider the commute to Burr Ridge practical?

Also, what can you tell me about Lake Forest? If you had to divide your time between both Lake Forest and Burr Ridge for work, where would a "SWF" that is actually looking to date want to rent? I don't mind being in the burbs, as long as it isn't too far out...but really, I'm looking for an area where there will be lots to do and where other single professionals live.

Thanks so much for your opinions/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
By "northern part of the Chicago area" I'm assuming you mean Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville/Lakeview...commuting from there to Burr Ridge would be a nightmare. Burr Ridge and the areas around it are mostly residential, upper-middle class family neighborhoods. However, Oak Park is a nearby suburb with a sizable population of young professionals and a nightlife. It's also very close to Chicago - only a 20 minute train ride.

Lake Forest is a very wealthy area. I don't think there's much for young people to do there so I'm not sure why you're asking about it. The trip from Lake Forest to Burr Ridge would easily be over an hour during rush hour, closer to 45 minutes with light traffic.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 15,713 times
Hi there...Thank you so much for your suggestions! It is really difficult to know where you should be looking when you are unfamiliar with the area and its neighborhoods. It's great to be able to consult someone who knows what they are talking about.

I had asked about Lake Forest because it is where the company is presently located...it will be moving to Burr Ridge this year. So, for a while, it would entail working out of both offices.

If you have any other suggestions, given the dual-office issue...please let me know! In the meantime, I will look into Oak Park.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Commuting to Lake Forest will be hard but in the long run if you're going to be working in Burr Ridge it's better to live closer to there. If you did want to live near Lake Forest and move once the company does, Evanston is a great area for young professionals. It's the home of Northwestern University and there are tons of great shops, restaurants, and hangout places. Plus, the el provides convenient access to Chicago when you want something new. But keep in mind that the commute from there would be even worse than from Chicago.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
Check out Countryside. Nice town, relatively affordable, and next to Burr Ridge. Easy commute to the city (outside of rush hour) on the Stevenson (i-55), or you can take Metra (commuter rail) from neighboring LaGrange

Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Default Oak Park/Forest Park

I'd also recommend Oak Park or the neighboring town of Forest Park. Both towns are very walkable, have a relatively active night life, and rapid transit (el) access to Chicago. Madison St in FP has lots of new restaurants and bars opening all the time. OP's downtown area is getting an overhaul. We're getting an upscale health club, a trendy bar, and a Trader Joe's. Both have easy freeway access to Chicago (about 15 minutes to the loop in good traffic).

The commute from OP/FP to Lake Forest will be painful, but doable by taking the Eisenhower (I-290) to the Tri-state (I-294). Figure about an hour? Probably 30 minutes to Burr Ridge.

If you're looking at OP, I'd suggest looking for apts in the area confined by Harlem Ave, Oak Park Ave, Chicago Ave, and Madison St. There are lots of vintage apts in this area and you'll be able to walk to the downtown area. In FP, look around Madison St.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 148,405 times
I don't see the point of being in Lake Forest, there are nice areas all around Burr Ridge. First, Lake Forest is too far. Second, it is a very mature and affluent neighborhood with no nightlife. Burr Ridge is also very ritzy (not on par with Lake Forest but is still considered to be one of the wealthiest west suburbs). It is right next door to Hinsdale and Oakbrook which are also very affluent. Chicago has nice suburbs all over the Northwest, West, Southwest, and pockets in the South lying areas. The North burbs are nice but they are the most mature and most expensive, but you could find a town with a good sense of community and high quality of life anywhere in the chicagoland area.
If you can't afford Burr Ridge, Hinsdale, or Oakbrook(they are quite expensive), I would definetly recommend Oak Park or Forest Park. The residents in these burbs make up a young professional class. I would also recommend looking at Western Springs, La Grange, and Brookfield which are all in the same vincinity and are similar to OP and FP. Your commute to Burr Ridge should be 20 minutes or less from anyone of these towns, and commutes to downtown Chicago should be around 25 to 30 minutes also.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettsetter View Post
I would also recommend looking at Western Springs, La Grange, and Brookfield which are all in the same vincinity and are similar to OP and FP.
I live in Western Springs - there are primarily families and retired folks here. If I were 30 and single I'd be bored out of my mind :-) There are also very few apartments and townhomes.
La Grange is mostly the same but at least it has more apartments (a high-rise, even) and a vibrant downtown area.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,570 times
Default Burr Ridge

My job is moving from Lake Forest to Burr Ridge...I wonder if we work for the same company??? I'm looking at Naperville and Lisle.

In Lisle, there is a community called 4 Lakes off of Maple Avenue. There are condos, townhomes, and apartments available. It is filled with 25-35 year olds. There is a great bar within the community called, The Lodge. They always have live enterainment there and it gets crazy. In addition, there are two colleges nearby and downtown Naperville is a five minute drive down Maple Avenue (heading west). Downtown Naperville is filled with nightlife. There are some restaurants and bars that are in Chicago that are also located in Naperville. Also, heading east on Maple Avenue for about five minutes is I-355. Maple Avenue is an exit off of I-355.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,360 times
Can you please tell me what the name of this company is? I live in Burr Ridge and I also lived in Forest Part for a long time. Forest Part has a terrific night life - and it is close to all types of transportation - bus, train, and expressways. In Forest Park you would be 20 minutes away from downtown or Lincoln Park - other good areas to meet people.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs