Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 9,586 times

Advertisements

The boyfriend and I are looking to move in Feb (I know its kind of early). But we're wondering if y'all have suggestions on great rentals in the Schaumburg/Rolling Meadows/Arlington Heights area. He works in Rolling Meadows area so will need to think about that commute and I will be working from home mostly with some airport travel (extreme proximity to O'Hare is not a requirement).

I will be moving from OOS and he lives in the city at the moment. Neither of us is too familiar with the Chicago NW suburbs. Browsing the web for now and it seems like there are a ton of apartments/apartment homes/condos etc in these areas but not sure which ones current residents would suggest.

Looking for 2bedrooms with 1.5 to 2 bath. Budget less than $1500 a month and have heat included (since Chicago winters are legendary). Looking for a safe neighborhood (since I will be at home most of the day). We are in our mid to late twenties and "upwardly mobile" so looking for similar neighbors in a "fun" neighborhood but not so "fun" that it gets overly loud/rowdy.

Any suggestions? Reviews of your current apartment? Specific parts of the area that we should check out or avoid? Your advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Well, the "fun for twenty somethings" crowd is not huge in any of the burbs, but you might start by looking in downtown Alrington Heights. There are some newer buildings (and condos) that are more upscale. In buildings with clueless landlords they might ask for premium prices, but the demand is not there.

In several parts of the NW BURBS I am sure your budget range certainly has some units available for rent, though you need to be selective in scouting out complexes that are not geared to the transient families working long hours and leaving kids unsupervised if you want a quiet / fun experience...
The corridors along Rand/Dundee/ and Lake Cook Rd are kind of notorious for bad experiences.

If you can stretch your budget it might be wise to not put too much empahsis on included utilities as newer complexes rarely through in heat or anything else.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Avalon in downtown AH.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Well, the "fun for twenty somethings" crowd is not huge in any of the burbs, but you might start by looking in downtown Alrington Heights. There are some newer buildings (and condos) that are more upscale. In buildings with clueless landlords they might ask for premium prices, but the demand is not there.

In several parts of the NW BURBS I am sure your budget range certainly has some units available for rent, though you need to be selective in scouting out complexes that are not geared to the transient families working long hours and leaving kids unsupervised if you want a quiet / fun experience...
The corridors along Rand/Dundee/ and Lake Cook Rd are kind of notorious for bad experiences.

If you can stretch your budget it might be wise to not put too much empahsis on included utilities as newer complexes rarely through in heat or anything else.
Thanks! I have noticed that many apartments, especially newer ones like you mentioned, do not include utilities. Seen a few listed in the $1300's with no utilities. I guess it then becomes a question of the cost of heat/electricity/cooking gas/maybe water in the winter vs. summer. Any thoughts?

Thanks for mentioning places to avoid. I also like Arlington Heights so far from what I have heard and read. We're not expecting a city-like experience for twenty somethings. Having a grocery store, movie theater, mall, a "downtown" area, and proximity to the metra for city travel is quite enough. We just don't want to be stuck where we have to drive a fair distance just to grab dinner and a movie.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Avalon in downtown AH.
Thanks! I saw this apartment, and it is on our list. Not sure about availability though as I was told they may not have anything for our expected move date.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivn View Post
Thanks! I saw this apartment, and it is on our list. Not sure about availability though as I was told they may not have anything for our expected move date.
There are some smaller 6 flats and 2&3 flats in area as well. Some have for rent signs posted. Been so long since I rented, I don't know if newspaper classifieds are still relevant way to find rentals.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Downtown Arlington Heights

After some research I think we are going to focus on Arlington Heights, specifically the downtown area. So far I have Avalon Arlington Heights, and Dunton Towers on the list. Also heard about a bldg called Campbell Court? but not sure about openings. Does anyone have thoughts on these buildings or other buildings in Downtown Arlington Heights?

Or maybe a link to a posting discussing the downtown area?

Your help is appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs