Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM

15 posts, read 42,940 times

Advertisements

I am a northside Chicago native. Grew up in Logan Square. Over the years I have lived in several neighborhoods, and suburbs. Cicero, Stickney, LaGrange Park, Brookfield, Des Plaines, Mt Prospect to name a few. I am with someone that grew up in Crete IL. Right now we live in Crown Point Indiana and I hate it here. I want to move back to Illinois and so does he. We are having a hard time finding a middle ground to move to. He works in Chicago Heights and he said he doesnt want to travel longer than an hour for his commute. I agree, because until recently I was commuting from CP Indiana to Skokie Illinois everyday and just wanted to cry every time I had to get in the car. We are looking to rent a place. He has 2 children from a previous marriage so we need a 3 bed room place. That said, our budget is what is holding up the moving process. I had a car accident which leaves me on a fixed income. Combining our income the monthly amount we can afford is only $1100 IF heat is included. Otherwise its about $950. We cant seem to find an area that is agreeable to both of us in our price range. Thats why I have been asking about Joilet recently on this forum, because I am running out of ideas. I just want a relatively safe, clean, neighborhood to live in. I mean I lived in Cicero and wouldnt want to go back there. Its not a safe, clean place to live and raise kids. But there has to be an in between place that we can afford, I just cant see it. So if anyone has any suggetions, they are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I don't understand.

What is it that you "hate" about Crown Point that would be somehow diffferent in Illinois? I doubt there is anything magic about crossing a legal boundary. Have you thought about moving to Dyer or Munster? That might get you a little closer to 394, but it does not sound like you are currently driving to Skokie so I not sure why you want to do that. Joliet is not generally a pleasant commute to Crown Point?
Is there a limit to how far south you care to look? Your budget is VERY small...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,789 times
I live in Cicero for long time. I dont see how its not safe clean place? I have many family there and they like it very much!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 AM

The thing with Indiana is I dont want to be here anymore. I dont feel like its a better place to live. I miss all the places I know and love. You couldnt get a decent pizza in Indiana if you tried. I dont want Joliet either but its closer to all the things I know and love. Dont get me wrong, CP a nice little town but they roll the sidewalks up at 5pm even on a Friday. I'm not a party animal but its just too "small town" for me. The laws are different. I have had to learn a whole new set of rules. Idk....I just miss my friends and family being closer. No one wants to drive out to visit. I'm not moving any further south. And yes our budget is "very small". Anyway...thanks for the input....I guess I'll have to keep looking and hope something comes up.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 AM

And about Cicero I lived there a long time too and had my car stolen 3 times, I was mugged at the train station....so its not a safe, clean place to live. I know that those things can happen anywhere but believe me....they happen a lot in Cicero.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Most of Indiana is a dump. I sympathize.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,789 times
Compare to my country Cicero good and safe. We have no problem there and like it very much until we move to the Heights. Nice restaurants and shoping for the ladies!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM

157 posts, read 403,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Most of Indiana is a dump. I sympathize.
What a troll.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
What a troll.
Back atcha!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
I'd probably defer to urza216 for this one. I'm thinking that a south suburb might give you that happy medium of a manageable cost of living, quick commute to Chicago Heights, and even solid access to downtown Chicago via the Metra Electric line and the surrounding highways. I think he currently lives in Homewood and recommends the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla67 View Post
I am a northside Chicago native. Grew up in Logan Square. Over the years I have lived in several neighborhoods, and suburbs. Cicero, Stickney, LaGrange Park, Brookfield, Des Plaines, Mt Prospect to name a few. I am with someone that grew up in Crete IL. Right now we live in Crown Point Indiana and I hate it here. I want to move back to Illinois and so does he. We are having a hard time finding a middle ground to move to. He works in Chicago Heights and he said he doesnt want to travel longer than an hour for his commute. I agree, because until recently I was commuting from CP Indiana to Skokie Illinois everyday and just wanted to cry every time I had to get in the car. We are looking to rent a place. He has 2 children from a previous marriage so we need a 3 bed room place. That said, our budget is what is holding up the moving process. I had a car accident which leaves me on a fixed income. Combining our income the monthly amount we can afford is only $1100 IF heat is included. Otherwise its about $950. We cant seem to find an area that is agreeable to both of us in our price range. Thats why I have been asking about Joilet recently on this forum, because I am running out of ideas. I just want a relatively safe, clean, neighborhood to live in. I mean I lived in Cicero and wouldnt want to go back there. Its not a safe, clean place to live and raise kids. But there has to be an in between place that we can afford, I just cant see it. So if anyone has any suggetions, they are much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs