Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 AM

15 posts, read 20,791 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently accepted a job in Glendale Heights, IL and I am looking for a Good place to live- close to stores, cinema, and other things to do. I am a city person and FYI I am from Michicagn and dont know the area or know anyone.

The company will be moving in a couple months to St Charles IL and I am looking for a place that is within good distance of both that has a good community.

I am looking at Carol Stream, West Chicago, Wheaton, Naperville, and Aurora and open to others.

Please give me any help and insight on the area and any areas you recommed. I would be greatly appreaciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
This should be in Chicago Suburbs forum.
I would look at living in or near St. Charles. Has a nice small town downtown and all the shopping and amenities you seek. I don't see the need to drive from naperville or Aurora to St. Charles. IMO St. Charles is more appealing than West Chicago.
What Naperville has over St. Charles is size and all the +'s & -'s that go along with it.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Why not St. Charles itself? Between it and neighboring Geneva, there's pretty much everything you're looking for.

If they're moving the company to STC, will there still be a need to travel to Glendale Heights? Are going to have two offices? If they're just moving to STC, I wouldn't even consider places like West Chicago or Carol Stream. If you need to travel to both, then I still suggest STC; just make sure you're on the east side of the river. Crossing the river during "rush hour" can be a PITA.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Drover: The company will be moving within the next 3 months, so there will not be a need to travel to Glendale heights.

I would like to be in a bigger city.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Then I'd drop Carol Stream and West Chicago from consideration altogether. Carol Stream in particular is little more than a collection of subdivisions with no cohesive community focus. West Chicago at least has a small "old-school" downtown area but it's very very small and there's not much to recommend it. Geneva and St. Charles both have nice core downtown areas with nice shops and restaurants and boutiques and pubs and the like -- St. Charles particularly with the pub scene on Main Street and Geneva with the boutique district on 3rd Street. There's also the modern-day shopping corridor along Randall Road through both Geneva and STC, and beyond in both directions.

Wheaton is nice enough, but sleepy.

Naperville has a nice vibrant downtown but living anywhere near downtown is gonna cost you, and the outskirts are as bland as post-war suburbia gets. And the commute to STC can be tiresome,depending on which parts of Naperville and STC respectively you'll be commuting from/to. It's still a top contender on your list though.

Aurora is the closest thing you'll find to a genuine "urban" atmosphere this far out into the suburbs, but downtown Aurora still hasn't recovered from its "rust-belt downturn" days and the rest of Aurora is basically suburban in form -- and some parts of it aren't particularly safe. Downtown revitalization is an ongoing process but there isn't anything approximating an "urban" nightlife scene there yet; and there probably won't be any time soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks for writting back so fast. Which of the cities has better traffic and cost of living? between Aurora area, Geneva and St Charles? Also I am in my mid-20's, single and this is my first real job out of college so Im not sure if that will help me determine a city to live in.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then I'd drop Carol Stream and West Chicago from consideration altogether. Carol Stream in particular is little more than a collection of subdivisions with no cohesive community focus. West Chicago at least has a small "old-school" downtown area but it's very very small and there's not much to recommend it. Geneva and St. Charles both have nice core downtown areas with nice shops and restaurants and boutiques and pubs and the like -- St. Charles particularly with the pub scene on Main Street and Geneva with the boutique district on 3rd Street. There's also the modern-day shopping corridor along Randall Road through both Geneva and STC, and beyond in both directions.

Wheaton is nice enough, but sleepy.

Naperville has a nice vibrant downtown but living anywhere near downtown is gonna cost you, and the outskirts are as bland as post-war suburbia gets. And the commute to STC can be tiresome,depending on which parts of Naperville and STC respectively you'll be commuting from/to. It's still a top contender on your list though.

Aurora is the closest thing you'll find to a genuine "urban" atmosphere this far out into the suburbs, but downtown Aurora still hasn't recovered from its "rust-belt downturn" days and the rest of Aurora is basically suburban in form -- and some parts of it aren't particularly safe. Downtown revitalization is an ongoing process but there isn't anything approximating an "urban" nightlife scene there yet; and there probably won't be any time soon.
Great description, won't let me rep you. I do wonder about the OP's reading comprehension, though

Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 148,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsigny View Post
Hello, I recently accepted a job in Glendale Heights, IL and I am looking for a Good place to live- close to stores, cinema, and other things to do. I am a city person and FYI I am from Michicagn and dont know the area or know anyone.

The company will be moving in a couple months to St Charles IL and I am looking for a place that is within good distance of both that has a good community.

I am looking at Carol Stream, West Chicago, Wheaton, Naperville, and Aurora and open to others.

Please give me any help and insight on the area and any areas you recommed. I would be greatly appreaciate it.

Thanks!
I second living in Geneva or St Charles. There is decent night life in St Charles for someone your age plus you won't be too far away from work. If you wanted to go into the city, you can catch the train in Geneva.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
I would look at Batavia as well. Great highway access (I-88) and close to both Geneva and St. Charles. A great community to live in!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I would look at Batavia as well. Great highway access (I-88) and close to both Geneva and St. Charles. A great community to live in!
Batavia is nice, but seems sleepier than Geneva and St. Charles as far as bars and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs