Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 17,174 times

Advertisements

I can't find it right now, but it's somewhere in this data bank;

Jewish Population Statistics - North American Jewish Data Bank

Also of note; majority or not doesn't matter (even if 25% only!) the point or our concern obviously is that no matter what our kids would be in the absolute minority and our concern is as I mentioned

nothing against them obviously, with coworkers and friends we get perfectly along but as you know kids are kids....And some adults are still little kids

====

urza nothing against the discussion, but personally i am concerned about my kids. As far as Palestinians and israelis goes more power to both, let them take care of each other. my concern is my family (Selfish? sure... why not)

Last edited by linicx; 03-05-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
I wasnt trying to start a discussion about the (censored) and the (censored). I just mentioned by name what you were clearly referring to in my response...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I wasnt trying to start a discussion about the (censored) and the (censored). I just mentioned by name what you were clearly referring to in my response...

looool i like the (Censored ) and (censored )

you are right, just afraid of not getting input about the problem in the heat of the debate

anywho do you know of the area yourself and what's your impression? are we being scared for no reason???

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satrap View Post
looool i like the (Censored ) and (censored )

you are right, just afraid of not getting input about the problem in the heat of the debate

anywho do you know of the area yourself and what's your impression? are we being scared for no reason???
I have family in Highland Park. I know Jewish people in Highland Park. You have little to worry about.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,889 times
As for martial arts...

Krav Maga training school, self defence classes in Chicago, Highland Park Illinois (IL)

Little Nine Heaven Internal Kung fu and Tai Chi School Chicago

index

All are legit in their own right. Just depends on what you're looking for. There are more in other northern burbs, but it just depends on what you want to train, how serious, and how far you want to commute.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
If HP is too homogeneous for your own comfort, I'd look into Northbrook, and maybe even Glenview. I think that Glenview has gotten extremely diverse (particularly among the the Asians, Southasians, and Eastern Europeans). I think your kids would be alright in HP, but it's ultimately hard to tell. I've been in HP many times (worked retail there about a decade ago & passed through the area countless times). HP near the lake is truly a picturesque area. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satrap View Post
I can't find it right now, but it's somewhere in this data bank;

Jewish Population Statistics - [North American Jewish Data Bank]

Also of note; majority or not doesn't matter (even if 25% only!) the point or our concern obviously is that no matter what our kids would be in the absolute minority and our concern is as I mentioned

nothing against them obviously, with coworkers and friends we get perfectly along but as you know kids are kids....And some adults are still little kids

====

urza nothing against the discussion, but personally i am concerned about my kids. As far as Palestinians and israelis goes more power to both, let them take care of each other. my concern is my family (Selfish? sure... why not)

Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Vlajos,

So liberal Jews are less angry about the Palestine-Israel conflict?
well, urea, glad you brought it up. for the record, American Jews just don't match the stereotype that is made of them (us).

i"m not talking "liberal" (although there are many Jews, of course, who are not). I'm talking about pro-Israel and I am talking about anti-Arab (anti-Palestinian).

For the record, the stance taken by AIPAC and other Jewish organizations hardly speaks for the people. Many Jews deplore the notion of a Jewish state, based on their experiences of 2000 years in a Dispora of being in states of "others". For most American Jews, the diverse, polygon United States is the preferred model.

Jews in America, in Chicagoland, and in Highland Park hardly walk the insular line that makes them anywhere near staunch Israel supporters as you suggest.

Highland Park Jews are much more likely to discriminate against you if you into Once Upon A Bagel, order corned beef on rye, and then put a shmear of MAYONAISSE on it than they would over your attitudes towards Israel.

In the Jewish community, there is an expression of "checking your liberalism at the door when the subject of Israel comes up." I don't do that. and many, many other Jews do not, as well.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM

133 posts, read 291,690 times
I really don't think that religion is going to be a major problem for you. However, if you are concerned I agree that you might want to look at a more diverse area;such as Glenview, Skokie, parts of Northbrook, or west part of Wilmette.
As for the Martial arts, if you want Shotokon Karate there is a dojo in Glencoe very close to the Ravinia are in Highland Park called Pride Dojo Pride Dojo
Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Many years ago, if you weren't Jewish or Italian in Highland Park you were a minority.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Thank you all for the replies, this forum is truly helpful!

***HERE is another question; how does HP highschool rank compared to others in the area? (New Trier, Glenbrook North)

I thought of the three the kids in New Trier seem to do best on scores and HP comes in second and Glenbrook north comes in third??? Am I correct? obviously i am referring to standard tests and average for the schools.

thank you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
If HP is too homogeneous for your own comfort, I'd look into Northbrook, and maybe even Glenview. I think that Glenview has gotten extremely diverse (particularly among the the Asians, Southasians, and Eastern Europeans). I think your kids would be alright in HP, but it's ultimately hard to tell. I've been in HP many times (worked retail there about a decade ago & passed through the area countless times). HP near the lake is truly a picturesque area. Best of luck!
Actually we are considering Northbrook as well but prefer highland park as long as the kids don't end up having any problem. But for sure it looks like one can get "more for the money" in western suburbs (west of 94)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
well, urea, glad you brought it up. for the record, American Jews just don't match the stereotype that is made of them (us).

i"m not talking "liberal" (although there are many Jews, of course, who are not). I'm talking about pro-Israel and I am talking about anti-Arab (anti-Palestinian).

For the record, the stance taken by AIPAC and other Jewish organizations hardly speaks for the people. Many Jews deplore the notion of a Jewish state, based on their experiences of 2000 years in a Dispora of being in states of "others". For most American Jews, the diverse, polygon United States is the preferred model.

Jews in America, in Chicagoland, and in Highland Park hardly walk the insular line that makes them anywhere near staunch Israel supporters as you suggest.

Highland Park Jews are much more likely to discriminate against you if you into Once Upon A Bagel, order corned beef on rye, and then put a shmear of MAYONAISSE on it than they would over your attitudes towards Israel.

In the Jewish community, there is an expression of "checking your liberalism at the door when the subject of Israel comes up." I don't do that. and many, many other Jews do not, as well.
Glad to hear this, and i agree! from my own experience the absolute majority are the opposite of what we see in the Media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
As for martial arts...

Krav Maga training school, self defence classes in Chicago, Highland Park Illinois (IL)

Little Nine Heaven Internal Kung fu and Tai Chi School Chicago

index

All are legit in their own right. Just depends on what you're looking for. There are more in other northern burbs, but it just depends on what you want to train, how serious, and how far you want to commute.
Didn't know little nine heaven is up there, thanks a lot! I will definitively visit them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 847mom View Post
I really don't think that religion is going to be a major problem for you. However, if you are concerned I agree that you might want to look at a more diverse area;such as Glenview, Skokie, parts of Northbrook, or west part of Wilmette.
As for the Martial arts, if you want Shotokon Karate there is a dojo in Glencoe very close to the Ravinia are in Highland Park called Pride Dojo Pride Dojo
Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks for the link, I prefer Kung fu but obviously it comes down to the "quality of the school than the art itself" and will also put this on my list and visit them. I am glad to see there are plenty of options and we won't be limited to one school only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs