Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM

62 posts, read 177,551 times

Advertisements

What suburb would you choose? Need decent Metra connections and a good school system. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
There are probably about 100 suburbs that fit your criteria (I'm not exaggerating). Perhaps you could narrow it down a bit? Distance from Chicago? Do you have a regional preference such as north, west, south, somewhere in between? New construction versus established older suburb? Sociopolitical attributes? Does diversity matter or is whiteness OK with you?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Shorter Metra trip would be preferable, although I would give that up for good schools. Prefer south or west suburbs as in-laws live in Palos Heights. I am relatively conservative and catholic.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Homewood/Flossmoor for older/more established/more diverse area; Orland Park or Tinley Park for newer area and if diversity is not a priority.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. We are moving from Florida with kids, and it has been a long time since my wife has lived in the area. We will check those areas out.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 AM

34 posts, read 39,719 times
What are you waiting for?--there are literally 100's of homes that meet that criteria. Lombard, Downers, Naperville, Aurora, Oswego, Plainfield, Bolingbrook. Take your pick.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,285 times
I second the poster that said Orland Park and Tinley Park. These suburbs are very close to Palos, have several stops on the Metra train to the city, and an excellent school system. And there is a large catholic population in these suburbs. Look for homes in the high school district # 230. (Andrew High School and Sandburg high school.) If you check out GreatSchools.net, you can look these schools up and see that they rate fabulously.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 PM

16 posts, read 111,584 times
In addition to the suburbs mentioned above, you could check out Frankfort or Mokena as well. They're south of Orland Park, so they're a little further from Palos, but both areas have sizeable Catholic populations, and great public schools.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the suburbs mentioned so far in this thread.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Homewood/Flossmoor for older/more established/more diverse area; Orland Park or Tinley Park for newer area and if diversity is not a priority.
Ya, Orland isn't the most diverse if you are looking in terms of black and white as it is mostly white, but Orland has a rapidly increasing Arabian polulos moving into it due to the new Mosque on 104th Ave. I can tell you though you can't go wrong moving into Orland Park. My home continually is going up in value about $10-20 K a year even with the poor market conditions!

I will tell you in Orland, the hot spot for real estate is going to be anywhere near the "new" downtown on 143rd and La Grange. This is a gold mine waiting to be mined. Here is what it is going to look like. http://orland-park.il.us/econdevl/pdf/mainstconceptplan.pdf (broken link)

Now the neighborhoods that are going to be the most greatly impacted by this is the one off 143rd and John Humphrey Dr.. This neighborhood is bordered by 143rd on the south, La Grange on the west, 82nd Avenue on the east, and 135th on the north. This neighborhood is going to be connected to the downtown via bike/walking paths, and of course sidewalks. The other neighborhood that is also going to be the most impacted, is the historic district bordered by La Grange on the east, 143rd on the north, West Avenue on the west, and 151st on the south end. Those two parts of town are where property values are rising the fastest due to the big change that is about to take place. Randy's Market and strip mall is due to be demolished in '08 to make way for the new downtown and you will notice the temporary traffic signals in place at 143rd and 45. The intersection as well as the 7-11 is also set to be completely demolished and redone in late '08.

Lastly if you can afford it, look in Crystal Tree. Andrew Corporation on 153rd and 108th Avenue is set for demolition sometime in '08 as well to make way for million dollar homes (part of a Crystal Tree extension), extension of the golf course, parks, and I heard something about Metra adding onto it's station/parking lot located on 153rd St.

Orland Park is set on making the downtown part of town look like Niles or Skokie or something like that up there and is set on working to become the best burb in the Chicago area to move into.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM

356 posts, read 542,990 times
28 minute express train form Downers Grove to city-- reasonable home prices--tough to beat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs