Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:57 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Sounds like a sub-division to me.Any Wheaton locals know for sure ??
It is a subdivision, it's off of Butterfield Rd & Orchard Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

137 posts, read 549,475 times
I have lived in Naperville for over 22 years. I know and love the community. I can tell you first hand that I've raised my three children here, and would be hard pressed to find another community that offers the wide array of activities and events that Naperville provides. It seems there's something to do every weekend if you are looking for something to do. Whether it's a community parade, or the dog frisbee competition, or the juried fine arts festival, or the nationally attended RibFest. Whether you're looking for large scale or small scale activity, you're sure to find it here.

As far as property. There is a diverse choice to be found in Naperville. You have the older homes, concentrically located closer to town in more established communities. As you move out further from town you will find newer homes, in newer settings. There are properties interspersed that are about 1/2 - 1 acre. Those are usually located in unincorporated areas. You can find housig in the price point you are looking for, it will all depend on where and how new you'd like your home to be.

There are two school districts that support Naperville. One is Community Unit School District 203, the other is Indian Prairie School Dist. 204. However, a little known fact is that you can reside in some areas of Woodridge, Lisle, or Bolingbrook and still be served by school district 203. The same is true for school district 204 serving some areas of Aurora, Bolingbrook & Plainfield. They are highly acclaimed!

Moderator cut: advertising

Good Luck

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-17-2007 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Naperville residents, how long does it take to drive to downtown Chicago from there? I can't remember.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
We are looking at spending $450,000 - $600,000 on a home and would like 4BR. We also would like a home that is updated and doesn't need a lot of work. Where we live in Ca we have less than a 1/4 of an acre and at least 6 homes looking into our yard, plus there are no mature trees. So we would like a little more privacy. Talked to a realtor that works in the North Shore and said we could only get 3BR for our price range that needs fixing up. That's why we are looking elsewhere. Are the western suburbs near trains so if my husband works in Chicago he could commute with them? Thanks again for your help.
Don't forget that most of these houses will have basements; something you don't get in California. When my sister bought her house it would have been listed on paper as a 3/1.75 with 1500 finished square feet. However, the basement is the full footprint of the house and with a fireplace, so there is 3000 square feet of living space. They finished the basement, added one bedroom, an office, a computer/game area and a family room with the fireplace. She also has a huge laundry room. Please take these things into account when you're looking at houses.

I grew up in Elmhurst and live in California. Our 4th bedroom is the kids' homework area, guest room and office. If we had a basement, it could easily be all of these areas and not in a small space either.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 14,110 times
Oak Park, Villa Park, St. Charles, Wheaton, Elmhurst, River Grove, Elmwood And Anything West Of Chicago. Stay Away Cicero, Maywood And Berwyn.. Schols Distrcits Not That Great!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Naperville residents, how long does it take to drive to downtown Chicago from there? I can't remember.
During rush hour, I would say 2 hours-ish. It's a horrible commute. During non-rush (which is hard to predict!), it can be 45 min-2 hours!! I would absolutely not drive in from Naperville during rush hour. I would definitly take the metra.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
During rush hour, I would say 2 hours-ish. It's a horrible commute. During non-rush (which is hard to predict!), it can be 45 min-2 hours!! I would absolutely not drive in from Naperville during rush hour. I would definitly take the metra.
I figured just as much, thanks for the info!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
Default Western Suburbs

I live in Western Springs and love it! It is a tree-city USA so there are tons of tall mature trees that line the parkways. Another person compared it to Evanston but it is nothing like Evanston. Our small little downtown does not have a lot to offer but neighboring Lagrange and Hinsdale both have quite a bit. It is also very close to Oakbrook mall where you will find everything you need (high-end as well). There are many parks and great schools.
My husband commutes to the city via the metra train. He walks to the train (7 min) and the train ride is about 30 min.
For your price range you will have a hard time finding a 4br house in walking distance to the train. However, with the way the market is you never know.

Lot sizes also vary most are 120' deep and 40-50' wide. I don't know the acerage.

There is a family that just moved in across the street from us and they were from Orange County, Ca.

I would also look at Lagrange. Naperville is nice, I lived there for one year when I first moved to IL. I like the downtown there but there are too many people and traffic is really bad now. Also, to drive to the city in traffic would take for ever (around 2 hrs).

Hope this Helps
Melissa

Last edited by mdz; 09-27-2007 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,681 times
Default Northfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewifeev View Post
The best elementary school and middle school in Illinois are probably Middlefork and Sunset Ridge in far east Northfield. In Northfield a lot of people rent houses.
Can you tell me more about Northfield? We are considering a house there. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM

18 posts, read 87,402 times
I'd like to recommend Riverside. It's on the Metra line to Chicago (20 minutes one way). The village is the only community in the United States designated by the Department of Interior as a National Historic Landscape District (laid out in 1869 by Olmsted & Vaux). Riverside-Brookfield is a small, highly rated school, and the grammar school district 96 is always one of the state's most highly rated. It is a beautiful, quaint Victorian village. There is a variety of housing at a variety of prices. I recommend looking at the village's website and its Wikipedia entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs