Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 16,059 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Does anyone has any information about this division in Park Ridge? It's very close to the I-294, I consider that to be plus but not sure, what others would think of it. Has anyone or know anyone lived there? I imagine the taking the metra from des plaines to the city should be the most preferred mode of transportation to the loop.

Also, does someone have any thoughts on the schools below. The ratings on this school tend to suggest that it's somewhat below the district average but I would like others opinion how good these schools are and how do they compare against other suburban school district.

School Information
Elementary School: FRANKLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Elementary School District: 64
Junior High: EMERSON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Junior High District: 64
High School: MAINE SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL
High School District: 207

Considering that it's a almost white demographics, do you folks see any problems with south asians fitting into the society. We adults are just fine, I am more concerned about the 3 yrs old kid trying to fit into almost 89% white school.

Appreciate if someone can please offer some thoughts.

THanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

199 posts, read 618,639 times
Here's some info I gleaned from the web, "Park Ridge Pointe is a condo and town house community built in the late 1990's. Park Ridge Pointe features condominiums with floor plans ranging from 1,269 to 1,980 square feet of living space. The town houses have floor plans ranging from 1,855 to 2,916 square feet of living space. Park Ridge Point is located on Northwest Highway south to Park Ridge Pointe in Park Ridge, Illinois.

The average real estate taxes in Park Ridge Pointe is $5,742 on all active properties. The association dues range from $261 to $381. The Association fees include Water, Parking, Common Insurance, Security, TV/Cable, Exterior Maintenance, Lawn Care, Scavenger, Snow removal. Amenities in Park Ridge Pointe: Elevator,Storage,On Site Manager/Engineer,Security Door Locks,Service Elevator."

My biggest concern with the area is I-294 in your front (or back) yard. The tollway creates a steady stream of noise not to mention hydrocarbon type dirt and odor. The Metra station in Des Plaines is quite a hike from there, too. You'd probably have to drive to the station and then pay to park. IMHO, for the amount of property tax and association fees you'd be paying it may be better to look elsewhere. I'm not up to date with the schools though Maine South had a great reputation in the day. Hillary Clinton graduated from there but that was a long time ago. Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM

161 posts, read 211,626 times
Anywhere in Park Ridge is close to the highway. I would not but a house in that area because of just how close it is.

You cannot go wrong with the elementary or middle schools and Maine South is one of the best high schools in the state.

Park Ridge is not known for its diversity, but I would not worry about your kids fitting in.

Where exactly are you moving from?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM

Moving in from the Mt. Prospect!

We absolutely loved this house.. Seriously thinking about making an offer. Location is a bit of concern as others are perceiving it as negative factor giving it's proximity to the highway but it's a big plus for us, as wifey is going to be taking 294 to goto deerfield. and i can jump on a El or metra to be in loop in less than an hour.

Also, not sure if this is big factor but park ridge park district is not considering this subdivision as it's resident.

Check If You Are a Resident | Park Ridge Park District

Also, in view of this , des plaines tax rates will be applied? How do I find that out?

One other last point, as we are about to make an offer, as per the 2011 records of the cook county, the market value assessed is almost 70K less than than listing price. Is that a rule of thumb to pay not over the market value assessed by the county?

I sincerely appreciate all the advice and thoughts that you folks can provide, as we navigate through the biggest financial decision of our life.

thanks and have a great weekend.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM

Another quick question:

Should we be also concerned about the flooding in this subdivision? Mayfield estates which is just next to this subdivision appears to be central point of flooding..

Thats certainly isn't a good news.. thoughts? thanks,

Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 AM

161 posts, read 211,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2012 View Post
Moving in from the Mt. Prospect!

We absolutely loved this house.. Seriously thinking about making an offer. Location is a bit of concern as others are perceiving it as negative factor giving it's proximity to the highway but it's a big plus for us, as wifey is going to be taking 294 to goto deerfield. and i can jump on a El or metra to be in loop in less than an hour.

Also, not sure if this is big factor but park ridge park district is not considering this subdivision as it's resident.

Check If You Are a Resident | Park Ridge Park District

Also, in view of this , des plaines tax rates will be applied? How do I find that out?

One other last point, as we are about to make an offer, as per the 2011 records of the cook county, the market value assessed is almost 70K less than than listing price. Is that a rule of thumb to pay not over the market value assessed by the county?

I sincerely appreciate all the advice and thoughts that you folks can provide, as we navigate through the biggest financial decision of our life.

thanks and have a great weekend.
Coming from Mount Prospect I think it should be a very easy transition.

The Park Ridge Park District does things like seasonal sports and things regarding recreation. It is not used for tax purposes.

Just to show you that it is indeed in Park Ridge:

http://www.parkridge.us/assets/1/Doc...ub-fac-pkg.pdf

I do not know about flooding in that particular area, but with the build up for the over pass and pond in the area it just may be.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM

199 posts, read 618,639 times
Des Plaines gets some severe flooding every now and then from the river. The area you're looking at seems far enough away from it but I remember when Dempster was closed at the I-294 overpass because of flooding; this was back in the late 80's. Seems those hundred year floods happen more often lately. If the home you were looking at had flood control put in; they've flooded in the past. One doesn't just put that in as a luxury item! I had over $10K worth put in my basement in Chicago and guess what, it flooded anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Have you checked out the new townhomes near downtown Arlington Heights? They are on Dryden near Mariano's market. Close to AH metra and still not a bad commute to deerfield. Dist 25 and Prospect HS are excellent. IMO living so close to 294 is unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs