Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM

99 posts, read 136,859 times

Advertisements

Say Chicagoland had boroughs. Where would they be located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
For the sake of "playing along" and also to build to build on the "how many 'burbs are there?" threads I can see some value of this, BUT I refuse to use so "NY-Centric" a term! Instead how about "arrondissement" -- a very goofy French word.

I would sugggest Arrondissement du Norde as a repalcement for North Shore, Arrondissement du Lac for Lake Co, Arrondissement du Rive to begin at about Brookfield and continue out along the BNSF, Arrondissement du Page to be run parallel to that and run radially out from Oak Park to Geneva, Arrondissement au Renard for the Fox Valley, Arrondissement du Ouvriver for all the old industrial towns from the City Limits to DuPage, Arrondissement du Fous for the "near southland" and Arrondissement du Grossiere for the further out southern suburbs. If you want to include the belt through McHenry how about Arrondissement du Agricoles. (and yes I know all about banlieue and faubourg, this is just for fun ...)

Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer31 View Post
I dunno, I'm a suburbanite lurking the SUBURBAN forums. Try the CHICAGO forum

Old 05-31-2012, 05:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
^^^^ The suburbs are part of Chicagoland too.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Northwoods, roughly the service territory of North Shore Gas, O'Hare, that region between the Elgin-O'Hare Expwy and the edge of aforementioned borough, Foxbrook, centered on the Fox River, extending from Oak Brook to Maple Park, bordered by I-57, Southland, east of 57 south of I 80, and Centerville, the central borough including the City and close-in suburbs.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
If you are referring to New York, New York is not analagous to ChicagoLAND.

The Chicago suburbs would be analagous to the New York suburbs including Northern New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester County, SW corner of CT.

The five burroughs make up New York City. But in that case, I don't think it quite compares.

Although I will say that however the difference between the Loop-Mag Mile-River North-Gold Coast area is equivalent to Chicagos Manhattan. Kind of like a carefully selected small sample of Manhattan laid out on display.

The rest of the city of Chicago is comparable to Queens, NY, with Chicago being not quite as culturally/ethnically diverse. Chicago is, just not quite like Queens. Despite being very international, Chicagos Asian %, is average amongst large American cities.

Although the areas that are majority African American in Chicago on the south and west are more comparable to Detroit in the 80s. (South and West sides are definitely rustbelt, but in the 80s Detroit didn't yet have the totally abandoned sections it does today).

Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
I remember answering this question a couple years ago. And that wasn't the first time it was brought up, either.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...oughs-how.html

Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
The moon.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The moon.
The best answer yet!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM

26 posts, read 70,753 times
The Loop ( Include all of downtown chicago and neigboring neighborhood) equivlant to Manhattan

Uptown ( northside) equivlant to queens

Austin ( West Side) equivlant to bronx

Ohaire ( neigborhood surrounding it aswell) equivlant to staten island

Hyde Park ( South Side) equivlant to brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs